DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

I dont know if they feel rushed or we have just become used to stories lasting for years, cough..cough.. Avengers...cough. I felt Aquaman wrapped up well enough for what it was.

2. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

It felt to me like more could have been done with Atlanna. Hopefully they'll expand on that story after Convergence.

3. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

1) They also really haven't really resolved the larger issue which was the fact that much of Atlantis's land and fauna was rebelling against Arthur due to his heritage.

2) Also the Atlanna storyline was too hastily resolved in my opinion with him leaving her there.

4. Savage Dragon

Actually, they did resolve your first point. Here's a quote from the last page.

I guess he's still out of luck if he loses it though.

5. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

must ... restrain ... urge....

6. Savage Dragon

Yeah. I was thinking the same thing when I wrote it.

7. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

hAHA, for as great as Johns' run on Aquaman was I can't believe that he let that major continuity error slip through especially when he was also working on Forever Evil.

8. Savage Dragon

Ok, I'm not sure I remember that. I know he was in a coma for a while but he did wake up in his own comic. What am I forgetting?

9. theenglish

He goes into a coma just as Forever Evil is starting. This is set up in the B story in his own book as well as the Villain's month stories. Arthur goes into a coma for six months at the same time the events in Forever Evil are happening, and in fact should still be in that coma based on the timeline of events post Forever Evil.

10. Savage Dragon

Ah yes. The sliding timescale of comics.

11. theenglish

I normally forgive that sort of minor thing except that Geoff Johns was writing both Justice League, Aquaman, and Forever Evil AND made a point of including the Forever Evil connection in that key issue of Aquaman. This is just a nit I like to pick though because I really enjoy Johns work at DC.

12. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Sounds like I need to get to my copy of Aquaman #40 from last week.

13. Savage Dragon

Was this supposed to be the final issue of The New 52: Future's End?

14. Hound of UIster

The timing and placing of FE is problematic. It was definitely not intended to be placed when it was when it was written given that Finch had a terminal problem with problems at DC. I think it was written to be adapted as a DC animated movie first, but the finer points of continuity such as following Trinity War were not there when it was written and that TW was probably written as a prequel and to give Finch more time for the art.

15. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yss.

16. theenglish

The Trinity War, I thought, was originally supposed to be the big event rather than Forever Evil. Pandora was somehow responsible for or at least knowledgeable about the post-Flashpoint universe and she was seen in all the original #1s. Then absolutely nothing came from that even though it was presumably meant to lead to something called the Trinity War even as late as summer 2012.

17. Hound of UIster

1) Given Finch's problem with meeting deadlines, FE probably was writtne at a much earlier timepoint to Trinity. He probably finished those delayed issues of JLA first and then started on Forever Evil and Trinity War was written as filler and a means to fill the gap and a culmination of the first few years of the Justice League books and to explain stuff such as Pandora.

2) Pandora I think is a Jim Lee character. I think Johns had very little interest in her and her presence in most of the early Nu52 was probably because of Harras and Lee.

18. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

Trinity War was a big event. It involved the 3 Justice Leagues.

Justice League - Supes, Bats, WW, Flash, Cyborg, Atomica, Element Woman, Aquaman, Firestorm

Justice League of America - Steve Trevor, Martian Manhunter, Katanna, Hawkman, GL Simon Baz, Vibe, Catwoman, Stargirl, Doctor Light, Green Arrow

Justice League Dark - John Constantine, Zatanna, Deadman, Frankenstien

Characters like Shazam, Phantom Stranger, Madame Xandu and Question also played a role.

[​IMG]

Pandora used Barry Allen during Flashpoint to synch 3 universes together. The DCU, Vertigo comics and Wildstorm comics. Since DC wanted to use characters from those properties in New 52.

In Trinity War, Pandora is trying to find someone pure who can open Pandora's Box and return the 7 deadly sins to the box. Since they follow her everywhere and Pandora was cursed by the Wizard Shazam to walk the Earth for all eternity. The scars on her face never cease inflicting pain.

The mystery was trying to figure out what "Trinity" stood for.

The 3 Justice Leagues

or

The Trinity of Sin (Question, Phantom Stranger, Pandora)

or

Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman: who's relationship was straining under the situation. Supes seemingly murdered Doctor Light in a fit of rage and that act was being used by Amanda Waller (who controls both the JLA and Suicide Squad) to discredit the League. With Supes/WW being a thing. Diana was fiercely protective of Supes. While Bats and Supes have maintained their friendship. Bruce was trying to solve the murder by proving a case that could win in court. It's much more complicated than that but that's a brief synopsis.

By the conclusion of the story it is revealed that Pandora's box was not forged by the Gods of Olympus or by any magician of Earth. It's a piece of technology. A port key to the parallel world Earth 3. Which is the home of the Crime Syndicate. Where Ultraman, Atomica, Super Woman, Owlman, Johnny Quick, Power Ring, Sea King and Grid rule. Earth 3 was ravaged by a then unknown enetity (The Anti-Monitor who was revealed in Future's End) and the Crime Syndicate used Pandora's Box to escape their doomed universe. In doing so, they trapped the 3 Justice Leagues inside of Pandora's Box. Leaving the world undefended except for the heroes not in any League (Teen Titans, Outsiders, Nightwing etc) and the villains. Which lead into Forever Evil.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
  19. theenglish

I read Trinity War and enjoyed it. I just can't believe that that was what was planned back in 2010 and 2011 when the new 52 concept was being developed.

20. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

Well it was masterminded by Geoff Johns who did Blackest Night (2009-10), Brightest Day (2010-11) and had been forshadowing it since 2005 with GL Rebirth - Sinestro Corps War 2007 and Final Crisis 2008.

Geoff Johns really wanted the freedom to weave the stories he wanted to weave but found the present continuity (Post Identity Crisis and Infinite Crisis) being the hindrance to his goals.

Dan Didio sanctioned the reboot because he thought most of the titles at the time were crap.
    With the exception of

Johns's
    GL, Flash, the Brightest Day revived Aqua Family (With Arthur, Mera and the new Aqualad Jackson) + the revived Hawkman (Carter OG) and Hawkgirl (Sheira OG)

Simone's and JMS'
    Wonder Woman

Levitz's
    Legion of Superheroes. Which he took over after steeping down from DC comics president.

Morrison's
    Run on Batman from Batman and Son through Batman and Robin Reborn (with Dick and Damian)

Greg Rucka's
    Batwoman and Question

and a few others like Catwoman, Sirens of Gotham, Batgirl (Stephanie)

Most of the other titles were crap. Supes and his family were underwater due to New Krypton and having no direction after that. Which led to Grounded and the architect of that jumped ship 4 issued in to the 13 issue run. JLA was crap, Green Arrow was crap, Arsenal was crap, Titans was meh, Teen Titans was hit and miss, JSA wasn't as good as it was when it was revived in 1999. Probably due to Johns moving on to GL, Flash etc and Goyer off penning TDK, TDKR with Nolan.

Factor in the previous attempts to blend continuities from Post Crisis 1986-2004 and Pre Crisis stories from 1958-1985; and you have one big mess.

DC did the right thing starting from scratch back in 2011.