A Brand New Day Has Passed...It's time For Peter to hit the Big Time!!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: A Brand New Day Has Passed...It's time For Peter to hit the Big Ti

^ I have often wondered that with other long haired superheriones such as Spider-Woman or Julie Carpenter but that doesn't seem to happen to them.

2. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Exactly.

3. Tulin

Tulin Vice Admiral Admiral

With the most wonderful man in the world!

I have NO idea what you're talking about.

4. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

True. Good point. As a matter of fact I can't recall ever reading where it was used against a long-haired hero, female or male.

5. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They should have just chucked Mary Jane off a bridge.

Spider-Man has been going downhill ever since Ditko left.

6. Admiral_Young

Again the Spider-Office didn't want any kind of negative connotations to surround their characters. Thus no death and no divorce, just a deal with the devil.

7. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

:lol:

8. Admiral_Young

Doesn't that logic just make you wanna scratch your head and laugh? @ Tulin, you wouldn't get what I was talking about unless you read Amazing Spider-Man.

9. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

OMD just killed Spiderman for good.. there are pockets of resistance but sales figures don't lie.

And still JoeQ maintains his position and let's his ego and his drive to be a bigger and better editor than Stan Lee rule creative decisions by wanting to leave his mark on the comics world. It resulted in OMD...

10. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Figures neither lie nor tell the truth. Which is why it's so easy for people to lie by twisting out-of-context figures to fit their preconceptions.

Spider-Man has been around for nearly 50 years, and its sales have gone up and down plenty of times. And there have been worse missteps in its past than OMD -- the Clone Saga, the Byrne reboot. It's survived those.

11. Admiral_Young

I believe the poster is referring to his own following of Spider-Man not the franchise.

12. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

The figures don't lie, the title consistently was losing sales every month for a solid year+ with the often bump from something hyped like Anti-Venom. It lost a higher % of readership when compared to other similar titles so the axiom "its the economy" doesn't fit to those who tried using that as a crutch.

As for Clone Saga, readership was high. Not only were the print runs high per the era but they were bought. I've picked up BND issues a few months later in the $1 bin. Dealers would flat out say, I had to order high to get a variant but the issues wouldn't sell. Also the Clone Saga wasn't ERASAING Spidey lore, everything still happened as it had. They were only going to say, no doubt for awhile(ala Supes death/Batmans back etc), the other clone survived and was Peter. The 90's had those switcheroo's but readership flipped out...despite still buying it.

This time, readership flipped out with reason and stopped buying it. The numbers do not lie and there is no reason to have to twist them.

13. Admiral_Young

It is evident and even you Christopher have to recognize that Spider-Man fans have an overwhelming intense dislike of OMD and BND. Sales might not reflect this but discussions on internet boards such as this and with other Spider-Man fans that I've talked to about this issue have all agreed that they have dropped the book entirely because of what went down. I am not criticizing those people who like Brand New Day at all, good for them if they do, Joe Q will give those people a hug, what I am saying is that it has left a bad taste in fans mouth and done permanent damage to their fandom of the character. The only reason I still continue reading is that I've taken over the last few months to download issues and as stated twice now have enjoyed most of the stories in Brand New Day. I still wish the marriage was intact though.

14. Christopher

Come on. Any argument that pretends that a large group of human beings -- especially fans -- has only a single monolithic opinion across the lot of them is unadulterated BS on the face of it. What you're saying is that you have such an intense dislike. Have the honesty to admit that you're talking about your own opinion. Yes, there are fans who agree with your opinion, but there are also fans who disagree with it. You can't get an entire fanbase to agree that the Sun rises in the east. So any sentence that includes the phrase "the fans think _____" is a lie and an insult to the intelligence of the listener. Don't waste my time with it.

I am a Spider-Man fan. I've written a Spider-Man novel, for Pete's sake. And I've said over and over again -- I hate OMD as fiercely as anyone. But I like BND. And I'm not the only one by far who hates OMD and likes BND. They are two separate things. Yes, they are linked by the underlying publishing plan behind them, but one turned out horribly while the other has turned out surprisingly well.

15. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I bought it last year but have yet to read it, I intend to though. Bought it just to boost its sales. I am going to read it though.

16. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

BND was intended to replicate the success of DC's 52 weekly comic. Thats why Joe Q poached Steve Wacker over from DC to oversee the project. The project never was able to replicate that success despite having a better pool of artistic talent and later writing talent.

So certainly BND would be considered a failure though I agree with you with the quality of the stories after OMD. However they were done in spite of the changes and could have been told with or without the marriage

But to say that BND didn't fail is an absolute lie. It failed to fulfill its sales expectations and it destroyed the moral aspect of the character of Spider-Man/Peter Parker in the eyes of the fans.

17. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

Joe Q ruined Spider-Man and Iron Man. I gave up on X-Men a long time ago (not that I'm going to blame that one on Joe), and Thor was only interesting while JMS was writing it. I spend most of my money on DC and smaller independent lines (The Walking Dead, Invincible, Irredeemable, etc.) these days. Though, I do get the Deadpool comics. Deadpool has pretty much taken over for Spider-Man as the go-to wise-cracking superhuman.

Oh, I also think the Fantastic Four comics have been on a great run for a long time now.

18. Christopher

I'm bewildered by the attitude that being less successful than intended makes something a failure. Reality isn't that binary. A modest success is still a success.

19. StarTrek1701

StarTrek1701 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Why can't comics just be stories about good vs. evil with a bunch of superheroics and slight romance with superpowers like they used to be? :(

20. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

You want the romance to have superpowers? You might be interested in Geoff Johns' Violet Lanterns then. ;)