How do you feel about Torchwood Miracle Day

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by M.A.C.O., Aug 6, 2013.

1. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Well maybe great is too strong a word, perhaps better might be a fairer word to use. Sure the plot solution would still have been dire. But sometimes if a story sweeps you along with it you can overlook problems.

If the story is not engaging you start to pick apart all it's flaws.

Perhaps if TW was to return it might be an idea to go back to individual stories. Sure S1-2 of TW when it was that style had it's weak episodes what show doesn't bu there the odd few that were good. Though if they did that they would have to get some new characters who knows perhaps they could make all of them characters you care about.

2. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

3. TJ Sinclair

TJ Sinclair Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

They should fire whoever made that programming decision. I suppose, aside from thinking it'd be good for ratings (among people who didn't/don't have Starz), it might be an attempt to garner some renewed interest in Torchwood.

But the people seeing this mess for the first time are just going to have their hopes dashed against the rocks of appalling disenchantment, and they'll end up thinking, "well, if that's the best they can do, then maybe it shouldn't come back."

:scream:

4. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

I wish TW had stopped after COE. The ending with Jack leaving Earth, Gwen, his daughter after the tragedy of sacrificing his grandson to save the entire planet had such a powerful poetry to it. A fantastic ending to a show that had a really shakey start. I recommend TW to all my Who fandom friends, but I tell them avoid MD like the fucking plague. With Torchwood being essentially in limbo now and RTD unsure if the show will ever come back. I like to think COE was RTD signing off on Torchwood as his DW run was also coming to an end at the time.

5. Mitty

Mitty Vice Admiral Admiral

QFT. Absolutely abominable television. So very disappointing after how fantastic COE was.

6. Anachronus

Anachronus Commodore Commodore

And there in lies the problem. It could never match CoE. Of course it could have tried.

7. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Of course it could have matched CoE, it could have eclipsed CoE, unfortunantly it failed on almost all levels.

8. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Interesting idea. I wonder if maybe it goes even further and explains why Torchwood was such a mess, maybe no one had a handle on the show right from the get go.

For all it's flaws I thought TW had its moments and CoE really grabbed you but MD was the pits. I kept trying to convince myself it was at least worth watching forcing myself to complete it but alas...

9. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, reading this thread, I wonder if I should continue watching. I don't have STARZ so I didn't see Miracle Day when it first aired, so I'm watching the first episode now and it's decent. It is a letdown from Children of Earth but honestly I'm not sure if anything RTD would do would be as powerful and emotionally draining as Children of Earth.

As for Torchwood, I really enjoyed the series. Yeah Children of Earth was the best season, but I can't help but think I enjoyed the first two seasons more since the tone of it wasn't so completely and utterly dark. Given this thread, I don't know if I will continue to watch Miracle Day (I already miss Ianto and the gang together) but at least I checked out the first episode.

10. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

If you checked the first episode and thought it was decent you might as well keep watching until you think it isn't. You know what they say about opinions so I wouldn't let us dissuade you from going forward.

11. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I remember being quite excited about the first episode... but then not much happened in the next eight... :lol:

12. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Children of Earth indeed was very heavy, and too emotionally heavy and draining to be "fun", would be more "fun", if it had been stretched a little bit more. That's not to say it was excellent, it definitely was excellent.

Miracle Day is slower, so you might enjoy it, especially if you marathon it in only a few nights. Don't spend the entire Series waiting for aliens to show up, I think the slower pace, the lack of aliens and shown over a 2 1/2 month period were the biggest letdowns. Marathon-ed, with full knowledge not to expect aliens and it's more enjoyable, IMHO. There were other complaints, but, those were my biggest ones.

13. tomalak301

If I do watch the 4th season, it will be on BBC America's schedule. Also, based on the first episode, I don't expect Aliens.

14. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

I'll say this: the first episode is good. Very good even. But, that's the high water mark.

Seriously, don't judge it on the first episode. It's a shit series. If you do decide to continue with it: you can't say you weren't warned.

15. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

The internet review SFDebris is currently reviewing Miracle Day. Check that out if you're in to that sort of thing. I've been planning a Torchwood rewatch but I had such a bad exp with MD the first. That I don't think I'll watch it again.

16. chelly

chelly Commander Red Shirt

I never really could get into Torchwood. The only characters I really liked was Jack (which is odd since I didn't really like him in DW ) all the rest annoyed me. That I couldn't understand half of what they were saying sometimes.

I did see a little bit of SJA and that was enjoyable to watch.

17. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

CoE excepted SJA was a far better show than Torchwood.

18. tomalak301

I never saw SJA. I wish it was streaming on Netflix.

It's a shame they couldn't get John Barrowman back for the 50th anniversary. If they were only going to cover from nine to now, there was a time where Torchwood was a pretty big thing in the Doctor Who universe.

19. Worf2DS9

Worf2DS9 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I remember I was disappointed in Miracle Day too, but I've thought about watching it again on Netflix to see if time has been a little kinder to it.

20. tomalak301

Miracle Day is not on netflix, unless you go with the disc option or something.

One thing I was wondering (And maybe this might help when I'm watching it) was if the further we get from when Children of Earth originally aired the more kinder Miracle Day might be. I mean it seems like we're comparing Apples to Oranges here. Children of Earth was so well done and so focused that comparing anything to it would seem a little unfair. Now if we compared Miracle Day to Season 1 or 2, I wonder how it stands up, and that could be exciting.