7X07 The Rings of Akhenaten (Grading/Discussion) (SPOILERS!)

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Samurai8472, Apr 6, 2013.

?

Grade "The Rings of Akhaten"

Poll closed May 7, 2013.
  1. Geronimo!

15 vote(s)
    11.7%
  2. Good

50 vote(s)
    39.1%
  3. Average

36 vote(s)
    28.1%
  4. Bad

18 vote(s)
    14.1%
  5. Terrible

9 vote(s)
    7.0%
  1. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

"I don't take the TARDIS into battle."
    "Because it's made of wood?"
    "Because it's the most powerful ship in the universe and I don't want it falling into the wrong hands."

Moffat's explained it. ;)

2. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hmmm ... there was an effort at something big here. The whole theme of precious memories rang like a bell throughout the episode. I like it when a show tries to shoot for something like that.

The whole Akhenaten system seemed to prize the concept, from that star to the surrounding inhabitants. I bet there was a lot more going on in the original concept that didn't make it through to the final translation, and that's just too bad.

I loved the diverse mix of aliens, I liked the creepy seekers. I'm puzzled that the TARDIS wasn't doing much (if any) translating for Clara ... that's something to keep an eye on. Green Lantern might be right about her.

I even liked the idea of a parasitic planet that feeds on memories finally getting stuffed on an infinite variety of alternative outcomes that never happened.

I didn't like a face on the Parasite Planet or the barking bit with Doreen, and it's a shame the bigger concepts didn't gel better at the end. At least not for me.

I was generous and gave the episode an average in the hope that themes from it will reverberate throughout the season.

3. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Commander Red Shirt

Where the plot happens in a less hikey manner.

4. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

Hear hear. This was a fantastic episode, much better than Bells of St. John. I preferred Victorian Clara or Oswin Oswald after last week, but now I like Modern Clara.

Some Beast Below to it, but that's certainly no bad thing. The singing, the visuals, all the talk of memory and civilization and souls, just brilliant. I assume from the tone of the ending that Grandfather winking out didn't destroy the system and would have liked that to be more clear, but that's the only quibble.

As to Clara being locked out of the TARDIS? Well, she doesn't have a key. Also, I assume Sexy preferred Amy since Clara's referred to her as a Snog Box and seems like she might mean it. ;)

5. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Very enjoyable episode. I loved the sentimental gift economy and how it played a part at the end (which, in itself, made up for the prologue which I wasn't initially keen on). Visually it was gorgeous with its wide variety of aliens (but would it have killed them to have a familiar face or two?). Also loved the Susan reference even if it took them nearly 8 years to do it! Hell, I'm still bummed out Gaiman didn't do it in "The Doctor's Wife."

My only two complaints about this episode were the guardsmen being mostly useless for the story (and a waste for the production) and the face on the sun's surface to personalize it. I loved the idea of sentient sun but the face was over the top.

6. Captain_Amasov

Captain_Amasov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm not quite remembering it all, so here goes:

The sun god creature was a parasitic lifeform that every thousand years wakes up and needs feeding with psychic energy. In particular that generated by negative emotions and memories; the aliens use a girl and implant all of the stories of their culture, which I then presume causes the appropriate mental conditions required to make this tasty sacrifice work, and offer her up to it so that their god will be sent back to sleep.

However thanks to his interference in this process, the Doctor himself instead offered it his thousand or so years of pent up negative psychic energy to feed on, and tried to gorge it to sleep again, if not, to death. The Doctor almost got it all the way there, but it needed just an extra push past the post, which Clara provided by offering up her family's life story, embodied by the leaf that allowed her parents to first meet.

I've probably got some of this horribly wrong.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
  7. Mr. Adventure

Figure fodder?

8. Captain_Amasov

Captain_Amasov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

How about the Master of the Land of Fiction, seen in The Mind Robber? Or perhaps the Celestial Toymaker?

9. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

It was decent. Seems to be mainly there to set up stuff for later though, mainly through Clara's backstory.

10. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

That's a bunch of Moffett bull, he has used the Tardis countless times in perilous situations. Has he become that insecure about it.

11. Mr. Adventure

This episode definitely could've been clearer about some things. A lot of stuff was sketchily explained if at all. Things like the memory consumption, what it did to the Doctor, what went wrong with the song, breathing in space, what the space mummy did, planet or sun and so on.

12. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

Even if we ignore that he has taken her into battle many times, how does parking the TARDIS in a random spot and driving a few miles stop it from potentially falling into the wrong hands? This so-called explanation really makes no sense.

I still don't see the point of modern Clara, wasn't her dying in the future and showing up in the past mysterious enough. I really would have preferred a victorian companion to another present day chick.

13. timelord1010

timelord1010 Captain Captain

Gave it a average. Not the worst and not the best.

14. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    It was very entertaining. I liked the Doctor able to open up a little more easily about his past by referring to Susan. The angry, lonely, last of the Timelords is tiresome. Clara also seems to be growing aware that the Doctor has more going on than he is telling her. Her comment about everyone having a plan last episode, and recalling the Doctor at her mother's funeral, shows her sharpness and awareness that the Doctor has found fascinating in Clara's other encounters with him. So far, this season with Clara is very satisfying. Also, Jenna and Matt are making a great pair in the Tardis.

15. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

16. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

He never had a prolonged two-way, emotionally-charged conversation with it before, either.

17. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

I'm still waiting for Katherine Jenkins to sing at the proms!

18. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ok, I know this is a minority opinion, but I'll say it anyway.

The more I watch Doctor Who, the more I don't like Murray Gold's score. Granted, there's some good stuff there, but WHY DOES THE MUSIC HAVE TO BE SO LOUD. Maybe I am old (I'm 28 by the way), but I'm watching this episode and the story is fast paced and actually quite enjoyable, but I'm not understanding WHAT ANYONE IS SAYING BECAUSE THE MUSIC IS SO BLATANTLY LOUD. What I got out of this episode is there is a false belief that people have to be sacrificed for the civilization to survive yet the show decides to say that is poppycock and it's just an alien sun monster thing who looks like Zordon from Power Rangers who needs the souls of this civilization to survive. Did I get that right? Oh, and the faith is based on beautiful music.

I actually did like this episode quite a bit, probably more than last week's but the music almost killed it for me. The bits I did like the most though was learning about Clara as a little girl, and the theme of memories being the sum of all of us. That final scene where she gives up the leaf was quite emotional, and for a companion joining the Doctor for the first time and doing that and figuring it all out, I think this is my favorite type of that episode, better than End of the World or Beast Below or whatever the one that featured Martha. I just wish the music was quieter, because there are some good scores, but I don't like how Gold just overshadows everything.

19. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't have the best ear for music.

Was that girl singing or humming?

Ditto with Blondie from the Christmas special.

(Yes, I know her name.)

20. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Yes it's been mentioned before that his music has overwhelmed some scenes

http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=97917

[​IMG]