Minecraft

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by TheGodBen, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

Derp derp, I'm an idiot. You also need a command-line zip utility for packaging the world files. I use 7zip, but you could use anything. Maybe I could turn it into a Python script...

2. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, Ben, I agree. So, it seems like half-assed Biomes that don't even really act like Biomes. What was the point then? It's severely undercutting the potential. Feels like the kind of updates we get are scattered all over the place with no real improvements to what's already out there.

3. Itisnotlogical

Itisnotlogical Commodore Commodore

^^

Yeah. There should be some mobs exclusive to certain biomes, like goats in the mountains, birds in the forest, polar bears in the snow... and creepers EVERYWHERE! As usual.

4. Robert Maxwell

I agree that the biome concept is pretty half-assed right now.

One wonders if they'll even go back to it, or allow for more world-generation options.

5. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, I cut them some slack since the games still in Beta, and because they're still just a handful of guys. I do hope its mor epolished by the time we get to the full version.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2011
  6. judge alba

judge alba senior street judge Commodore

i've decieded to buy minecraft and i have a question, what dose the stone cubes look like?.
    so far i'v got gravel,sand and dirt not sure what they all do yet.
    are there certain areas that make certain cubes?

7. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Stone is stone-like. It's grey. :shrug: You'll either find it in cliff-faces or under a few meters of dirt. You can't mine it by hand though, you'll need a wooden pick, which you can craft from wood, which you collect by punching tree trunks. Here's the crafting chart to explain all the different tools and how they're made.

Certain resources can only be found at certain levels (diamond, gold and others are very deep under the surface), and snow and ice only exist in snow biomes, but other than that you should be able to find everything else anywhere in the world. Except for blocks native to the Nether realm, but if you're just starting out you shouldn't be thinking about going to the Nether yet.

8. Canadave

Canadave Vice Admiral Admiral

The best way to find stone is to either dig down three or four blocks, or to look for cliff faces, which usually have exposed stone. When you see it, it'll be pretty obvious, I guarantee it.

9. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Welcome to Minecraftia, Judge!

Rock also immediately turns to cobblestone as soon as you dig it up.

Lets see...

Dirt - soft block that you can plant trees, wheat, and flowers on.

Gravel - Chunks of small pebbles that actually obey gravity. Very easy to dig through (i.e down stand under them while you dig). For about every ten blocks of gravel you dig you get a piece of Flint, which can be used to make a firestarter, or arrows.

10. judge alba

judge alba senior street judge Commodore

theres a grey cube that i whack but it just disspears after a lot of whacking, if that's the rock then i'll need a wooden pick axe first..:)

11. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You can destroy anything with your fist if you have enough patience, but you can only harvest stone blocks and minerals using a pickaxe. A wooden pickaxe allows you to harvest coal and stone, a stone pickaxe allows you to harvest lapis lazuli and iron, an iron pickaxe allows you to harvest redstone, gold and diamonds, and a diamond pickaxe allows you to harvest obsidian. Obsidian is the strongest material in the game (excluding bedrock, which is unbreakable) and it's used to make portals to the Nether realm.

12. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Don't forget sand, which is sand coloured, Cutter. That obeys gravity too and can be turned into glass! :)

13. Canadave

Canadave Vice Admiral Admiral

I also like using dirt as "scaffolding" when building things, as it's quick and easy to get rid of when you're done with it.

14. Robert Maxwell

To add to what Ben said, stone pickaxes can also mine coal.

Also keep in mind that gold is not very useful for making any tools (shovels, pickaxes, axes, hoes, swords). While you can do it, they're relatively low-durability items and not worth wasting the comparatively rare gold on.

Sand obeys gravity but sandstone does not. It can be hard to tell the difference sometimes, until you get up close.

Definitely make use of the Minecraft Wiki to learn all about the game mechanics! It is always being updated as the game is enhanced so I use it to find out about new blocks and whatnot as they are made available.

15. Peak

Peak Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If you see anything that looks like a green... male anatomy thingy... scream like a little girl and run away!

16. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

^You never see them the first time. Some better advice would be; if you suddenly hear a loud bang, see your items strewn across a small crater and the respawn screen comes up, then you've just encountered a creeper! ;)

17. Peak

Peak Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

You have a point. They do tend to make my mornings a bit nervous. I'm currently flatting a large area to have somewhere to plant wheat and things. And have my do... eh... wolf-house when it's time for the next update.. ;)

I do not want to have craters in my flatted field, thanks.

18. Itisnotlogical

Try to keep your house close to your spawn point. That way, you don't have to trek several thousand miles against generally identical pieces of land only to find out you've been going the wrong way.

Failing that, build a giant dirt tower and put a ton of torches on top and all around the side.

Adding to some useful information about resources...

Gunpowder - An advanced resource that makes TNT and is very difficult to harvest, because it only has one source- giant green exploding... things. Creepers. You have to kill it with a weapon; gunpowder is NOT dropped by detonated Creepers.

String - A resource that's slightly easier to collect, but still not a cakewalk. These are dropped by Spiders, and you need them to make bows. Spiders are passive during the day, so this is a pretty good time to collect it, but they'll still defend themselves once you attack.

Redstone - A HIGHLY advanced resource that is found near bedrock level (the bottom limit of the map). You can use it to create advanced electrical contraptions, like TNT cannons, code-locked doors, lava traps, and other crazy things. One block generally yields about 6-8 Redstone pieces. As mentioned above, you need an iron pick to mine it, or you'll just destroy the block without getting anything.

19. Robert Maxwell

FYI, Notch has said what the next update should contain:

We will finally be able to change our spawn points! :lol:

I can't really give a fuck about having an achievement system, though.

20. Itisnotlogical

I find the idea of achievements pretty interesting. It'll give you something to do in addition to simple survival. But I guess we'll have to see how it turns out.