Archer and TOS

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by RobertScorpio, Jun 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JM1776

JM1776 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Archer IV, actually.

Is it pathetic that I know that off the top of my head?

Don't answer that.

2. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Actually, it turned out retroactively that Archer IV was named for the captain. In "IaMD" in 2005 the TOS Defiant's computer banks list Archer IV as being the hallucinogenic spore planet from "Strange New World" and that in later generations it was successfully colonized after an antidote to the hallucinogens was found.

3. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

The "IaMD" bio claims that Archer would be the only human to have two planets named after him, one of which is the planet of ENT "Strange New World" and TNG "Yesterday's Enterprise" fame.

Two things troublesome with that:

-The bio makes it sound as if other humans have fewer planets named after them. But Zephram Cochrane is also credited as having "entire planets" named after him - so literally taken, he'd have at least three, since one won't cut it grammatically and two is forbidden by the bio.

-Archer IV is claimed to be 61 Ursae Majoris, which isn't anywhere near the direction Archer pointed at in "Home" when indicating the location of the "Strange New World" planet.

Timo Saloniemi

4. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    TREK technicalities.;) Technically, some real-life star systems in TREK lore are said to be closer or much farther away than they are in actuality. TREK is great and smart stuff most of the time, but scientifically accurate it often ain't.

5. Vance

Vance Vice Admiral In Memoriam

So, the ancient Greeks (from which the REAL star 'Archer' got it's name... after romanization, naturally) were ENT fans?

6. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

To which REAL star 'Archer' do you refer (by original, Romanized or English-language name)? You don't mean a constellation such as Sagittarius or Orion, instead?

7. RaymondJames

RaymondJames Captain Captain

I want to adress the spock-T'pol thing. Now I havent seen all of Enterprise, i don't care for it, and I respect and like TOS but its not my fav. Now if my memory serves me correctly Spock was in starfleet. T'Pol was not in starfleet she just served on the enterprise for the Vulcans and was then asked to stay by Archer. So spock being the first isnt completly destroyed.

8. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Spock was never saud to be the first Vulcan in Starfleet so there is nothing to be destroyed. The Earth Starfleet and the UFP Starfleet arent the same organization anyway.

9. Kryton

Kryton Admiral Admiral

Spock was only said to be the first Vulcan to graduate from Starfleet Academy, IIRC.

10. darkshadow0001

darkshadow0001 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't know why they decided to make Archer "Kirk's hero." Kirk was not any of the 24th century captain's "hero." Maybe an icon, but not hero.

11. A beaker full of death

A beaker full of death Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm pretty sure that was never said either.

12. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

I do not recall either. I expect some of these questions to be answered or changed in the next movie.

13. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Sisko seemed to be pretty fond of Kirk.

14. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Kirk: Yes, Lieutenant?
    Sisko: Could you sign my replicated uniform?
    Kirk: Your mirror-universe miniskirt was shorter....
    Sisko: Buh?

15. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

It wasn't.

Spock was never the first Vulcan in Starfleet, nor was he ever the first one at the Academy. In fact he obviously couldn't be, what with the Intrepid and all that. :p

He will be. Archer started out in the Earth Starfleet, and later serves in the Federation Starfleet (he eventually becomes an Admiral). In fact Archer will also become President of the Federation.

16. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Is your avatar wearing Speedy Gonzales' hat?

17. Kryton

Kryton Admiral Admiral

Speedy wears his own hat. :techman:

18. The Castellan

The Castellan Commodore Commodore

Well, I think that Kirk never spoe much about Archer cause maybe he thought Arrcher was a complete moron or something. *shrug*

I mean I don't talk about presidents Johnson or Nixon cause of a similer reason, I always thought they were 2 total smegheads who had the brains of diareaha and the breedings of a maggot. :p

19. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

T'Pol came to wear three different hats as the show progressed, figuratively speaking. (Her figure also came in three different catsuits, IIRC.)

During the first two seasons, T'Pol was an officer in the Vulcan space navy, of the Subcommander rank, serving as observer aboard NX-01 on her maiden voyage and (voluntarily) getting stuck aboard when that ship failed to return home from said voyage.

For season three, T'Pol resigned from the Vulcan space service, and volunteered her services as a civilian advisor to UE Starfleet; she continued to be called "commander" by her colleagues, though. At one point during the mission of season three, T'Pol also masqueraded as a Starfleet Commander in yellow uniform stripes to have more authority in the eyes of the alien-possessed MACO and Starfleet crews.

During season four, T'Pol joined UE Starfleet at the rank of Commander.

Was that anywhere in the bio? It only seems to list his service as CO of NX-01, 2150-60, after which comes his political career, beginning with ambassadorship to Andoria 2169-75. There doesn't seem to be any mention of what he did in 2160-69.

Although his retirement rank is given as Admiral and his final position as Chief of Staff, SF Command and thus indicates some service beyond "These Are The Voyages", we don't know which Starfleet this refers to. The Federation one didn't come to be until 2161, and the United Earth one may have existed in parallel for a couple of decades.

Timo Saloniemi

20. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Wow, I thought nobody would catch that! :bolian:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.