DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

Just a guess, but I assume that the lower cost of producing digital comics eliminates the need for ads, although this is probably why the digital versions aren't any less expensive than their print counterparts.

2. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Which begs the question, (though, maybe not) Would you mind having ads if the digital comic was cheaper?

3. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Last night I finished my comic stack for the week by reading:

Animal Man #3 - I'm staying with this through the first arc and think it's just interesting enough thus far. However, this issue was more about his little girl than Buddy. As someone whose trying the character out for more or less the first serious time I'd like more on Buddy. IMO that is what is lacking thus far with this "intro" to Animal Man.

Swamp Thing #3 - Now this I'm really enjoying. It's in my top 5 of the books I'm reading in the new 52. Abigail had a great entrance at the end of issue 2 and it carried over here. Really looking forward to where this is going and despite not feeling as lost with Swamp Thing feel the book is doing the "intro" part better for new readers. Although ST is one of the dozen or so characters whose nu52 is a continuation of what came prior you wouldn't have to know that based on how this is unfurling.

4. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

He might do that later in his life - in fact, we see him in the Fortress near the end of the latest issue of Superman - but during the period being shown in Action right now he cannot yet fly, and what "super-speed" consists of, if he possesses it, is anyone's guess. So living far distant from Metropolis is likely not yet an option.

5. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

At least one assumes that is the Fortress of Solitude we saw in "Superman". A proto-version would be my guess probably constructed from the material in Clark's ship. I found it interesting that General Lane actually visited Superman inside this structure.

6. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I did read Detective #3 and as I sort-of said up-thread this title isn't one that's impressing me much in any way, really. I do sort of like what they seem to be going for with the "Dollmaker" villain but the artwork and the dialogue in this title isn't too impressive.

7. Admiral_Young

^ Yeah that's because Tony Daniel isn't an impressive writer :) The art is okay.

8. Trekker4747

I dunno, the art is certainly competent but "good." I find it a bit too dark and cluttered. And yeah it's "Batman so it's supposed to be dark" but then I look through the "Batman" title and the art and color in there is so much better used it makes the whole title just that much more enjoyable. And maybe this is an art/taste issue but in DC the way Wayne is drawn makes him look a little... "Asian", not to be indelicate. This a perfect fine interpretation to make with the character if that is what they are going for but hardly lines up with my personal views of the character. It's a moot point and it may just be a poor interpretation of the artwork but I digress.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  9. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

There's no indication that he's in the Fortress in those opening images, but rather in some sort of government science/monitoring facility staffed by human beings and perhaps overseen by Lane. Superman has come there to get intelligence info, which Lane resents handing over to him - but then, Supes has "developed influential friends." Lane remarks that "the techs say that the star charts have accounted for all alien incursions..." This is his turf, not Superman's.

In the final panels of the book, however, we see Superman in a different hi-tech environment, one which he apparently controls (he's got his equipment set to reroute Clark's cellular service here). I really think the writer thinks it's clever to use the word "solitude" ("solitude can be such a lonely place") because, you know, Supes is listening from the Fortress of Solitude and this is supposed to be subtext. :lol:

10. Trekker4747

In the beginning of Superman #2, it seemed to me he was in something of an observatory or akin to "Stellar Cartography" as seen in Generations. A government facility used to monitor space activity as it's obviously a big deal in the DC universe and they have the capability of FTL observation of the stars and extra-solar planets. ;)

At the end of Superman #2 I had assumed he was in the FoS to work on his recent encounters and was having Clark's home/cell number routed there.

11. Admiral_Young

Given some of the statements in other books in the New 52 it would appear that alien contact with Earth is somewhat new as is the emergence of superheroes or metahumans. Stormwatch would appear akin to Marvel's SWORD agency in terms of it protecting and monitoring Earth from extraterrestrial threats. There was some solider in Red Hood who was surprised that a Tamaranian was on Earth but still knew what one was. The meshed timeline gives for some interesting stories I suppose.

@Dennis that is a better theory than what I came up with regards to Supes "Fortress".

12. theenglish

Yeah, I would pay 99 cents for ad supported books or 1.99 for those books on same day as print.

13. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Where is the Fortress of Solitude anyway? Is it actually built on Canadian (or Norwegian or Russian) soil, or directly on the ice? If the latter, how? Is it more like a drifting ice station, or what? Artctic ice isn't permanent. Do submarines occasionally surface in Superman's front yard?

Or is it in the Antarctic again? Probably not in one of those lesser-liked locales, like the Andes or that glowly tesseract thing.

Also, does it bug anyone else when they show the Titanic in the Fortress? If he raised it, rebuilt it, that's okay, I suppose, but it's seems odd that he would put that in a private collection in a big room instead of setting it up as, say, a museum ship in Metropolis harbor so people and researchers could look at it. I don't think even James Cameron would keep the Titanic in his house.

14. Admiral_Young

It's location "up north" is unknown :) That's classified! Unless you are Luthor! Or a Phantom Zone escapee.

15. Myasishchev

Bah. It's probably on google maps.

16. Trekker4747

I think the FoS is usually depicted as being at the "North Pole" probably across the street from Santa's house. But I believe the North Pole and much of the Arctic region sort of comes and goes with the Northern Hemisphere's season -this has no effect on sea levels as the North Pole's ice is already in the water, as opposed to Antarctica where the ice and snow isn't in the water but on land.)

I think saying it's in the extreme northern parts of Alaska or Canada is fair to say if you don't want to go with the trope that the North Pole is exactly like the South Pole and is a vast field of permanently there ice and snow.

17. theenglish

Except in very recent years, ice that has been permanent for centuries has now become perennial. Projections state that within the next few decades there will be no permanent ice at all in the Arctic. Given this, it would be prudent to put his Fortress in the Antarctic.

18. Myasishchev

I dunno. I'm sure the Kryptonians have access to ice-9. Think of the headlines, "Superman repairs Earth's albedo."

19. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I've been thinking this for about 10 pages or more now, it seems Action should have it's own thread for discussion perhaps? I can't believe there are 51 boring books that no one else is interested in discussing. I know many have posted their nu52 reads and it's not just Action.

Just wanted to put that out there.

20. Admiral_Young

What others do you want to talk about? I have brought up only the books that I've read in these discussions and liked. I honestly have no interest in a lot of the other books. Action and Batman are the best of the bunch. Both sales wise and with critical acclaim it would seem. Feel free to talk about any other books though. It is also to do with the fact that Superman has gone through a severe amount of change compared to a lot of the other books and characters. I dunno I don't feel like we're neglecting discussion of other books.