NCC-1701 USS Enterprise Deck by Deck - WIP

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by havoc92, Jan 18, 2010.

1. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wildstar, that is an excellent photo! Is it really all that remains of that old site? That's such a shame, we could all use more shots like that!

2. cyranojones69

cyranojones69 Cadet Newbie

3. wildstar

wildstar Commander Red Shirt

I've got about 60 MB of reference images for the TOS 1701 I've gathered from the net since probably 1997 that I used when I was working on the deck plans.

I've just uploaded to that same Flickr page the ones that were from the IDIC page, as well as some other black and white ones I found online of the hangar deck (some have some of my own notes on them when I was drawing the hangar deck plan). I can't remember where I got those b/w ones. There isn't any website name or (c) on them.

Hope they help other deck plan and 3D modelers out there.

4. havoc92

havoc92 Commander Red Shirt

5. Mytran

Those are some fantastic shots, many thanks indeed for sharing them. Views of the hangar deck miniature are rare and these are gems!

BTW, I hope you had a good time at Portmerion. It's just a few miles away from where I live and is a fascinating little village - emphasis on little, they did some very clever editing in the series!

6. Classic Fan

Classic Fan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

DUUUUUUUUDE!!!!!

I need to go and buy a whole new set of underwear, ive gone through them all.

This is truly amazing.

Yeah, ive had a pop at 3d modelling parts of the Enterprise we never saw and parts that i wouldve liked to see, infact, a couple of years ago i modelled the bridge (part of it) in full scale 3d, took me a year just to do the centre captain/helm and the raised platforms and railings section around work etc.

But this is just, OMFG.:drool:

The whole damn thing, from keel plates to mast (excuse the naval terms.)

Think you've inspired me to repost some of my work. Blow the dust off em again.

I love you :techman:

7. havoc92

Thank you. Coming back from a weird week or two, being sick, etc, this really is like an energy boost and motivator. Very much needed and appreciated.

Havin a little trouble gettin back in the saddle; but, got a little progress this morning:

[​IMG]

8. havoc92

Doesn't look like much; but, this was a PAIN. I had to completely rebuild this console as all the verts shifted. On export from the other scene file,
    apparently is when it happened. So, as it was just seemingly quicker to rebuild than to fix... At any rate, movin along. Had to pour through
    a lot of reference images to put this together and there is more to show than is apparent in the image; but, that'll all show up tomorrow, hopefully.
    Really wanting to wrap these up and get going on other details.

[​IMG].
    [​IMG]

..that probably won't happen; but, that's what I'm gunning for.

9. havoc92

Ok, running way behind on this. Really been pouring over the library of images to find all the detail I need. Still digging; but, here's where we are at the moment:

[​IMG]

10. havoc92

[​IMG]

This is what I have at the moment.

[​IMG]

The areas in pink there are what I'm trying to sort out. I've inferred most of what's in the black square section above from grainy out of focus shots.
    May be right; but, I'm not real confident that it is. The lowere section there is obscurred due to the camera angles used much of the time. I may have
    to wing it as well. In any case, most of the text on these panels is unreadable, which is also causing fits.

11. Nascence

Nascence Lieutenant Red Shirt

12. havoc92

Got all but one of those; but, thank you anyway. Always appreciate the help ;)

13. havoc92

Lots of life "crap" waded through lately including a server crash. Moving forward again.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A little more progress. Inching along with this; mostly confident about what I'm looking at now. Still have to build the monitor,
    do some boolean work and chamfer the main console body; but, as the man from new york says "Getting closer, I'm getting closer" ;)

14. havoc92

These units got really poly bloated due to how I intended to do all the cutouts. The strategy failed miserably. No booleans; so, I'm having to cut in
    every recessed light on the console manually. Taking a lot of time to do; so, I took a break and built the monitor for the right console. Have to check it against
    some reference images to determine whether it needs scaled or not; but, not stopping to worry about it at the moment.

Here's what it looks like for the time being:

[​IMG]

15. havoc92

Hey all, just to give an update: Mild bronchitis turned into walking pneumonia on me and I'm getting my wind back now; so, progress essentially halted for a while. Dating isn't doing me any favors on getting things done of late either; so, with the newfound free time; will try to get some headway going again in the next few days.

16. Mytran

Sorry to hear about the pneumonia, that sucks!
    These plans aren't worth killing yourself over y'know ;)

17. BlobVanDam

BlobVanDam Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, he's still got a couple hundred years before they're even needed :p

18. havoc92

[​IMG]

Been working on the insets for the panel lights on console 2 all morning. Lots done; but, so much yet to do.

Also, a headsup, got interviewed by FuriousFanboys.com over this build; so, there's a nice article posted over there now. ;)

Edit: Just heard back on another request. Trekmovie.com has an article submitted now that mentions this
    build. Not certain when it will be up; but, looking forward to seeing it

Last edited: Apr 1, 2011
  19. havoc92

[​IMG]

You can better see alll the insets now. This console is nearing completion; but, it's still slow going. I segregated the consoles into their own scene
    and was able to make use of booleans. Memory, as it seems, was the issue. Not sure if the cleanup is moving faster than the way I was doing things;
    but, progress is progress. And they're really starting to shape up ;)

20. blssdwlf

blssdwlf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Looks nice, havoc92. I second Mytran's sentiments - stay healthy (so you can finish it) :)