House. A new team of Doclings?

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Trekker4747, Sep 15, 2009.

1. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

At the end of House's third season he fired Chase and Cameron and Forman quit. Chase was fired because House felt that Chase had "either learned all he could, or nothing at all" from his fellowship under House. Cameron and Forman quit for various reasons related to House's 'way' of practicing medicine.

Anyway, the "logic" of this fairly sound, keeping the three of them as House's fellows for longer than a few years would be illogical as Cameron, etc. would grow as doctors and not need to be under House's tutelage forever so Season 4 starts with House's "reality show" game of enlisting new fellows landing on Kutner, Taub, and Hadley (Thirteen) at the end of this Season they will have ben House's fellows for three years (seasons) will it be time for them to also break off and go on their own and for House to recruit in a new set of fellows?

Forman has mostly been rooted as House's "number one" sooner or later his House stigma is going to fade and should, again, be able to break-off on his own and get his own practice or at least not have to "work under" or "work for" someone willing to risk letting House-Lite work in their hospital. Keeping him around much longer makes little sense.

So how about it? Will we soon see House with new fellows/Doclings next season (not the one starting this month, the one starting a year from now) or will we hang on to these guys longer?

And, after two seasons of being around -one full season as actualy full parts of team and in House's diagnostic process- will the new Doclings make it to the opening credits sequence and not be shuffled to the "quest cast" credits after the first commercial?

2. Wil has a posse

Wil has a posse Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I suspect the current ducklings--including Foreman--will remain for the upcoming season. Just my instinct.

3. Cky

Cky Captain Captain

I can see them staying on for another season, with the possibility of adding someone else to make it three (because of what happened to one of them (no spoilers)), and just the two that are left, and Foreman isn't enough.

And opening credits? No. I think what the creators of House is trying to do is make it so you can't distinguish what season you're watching by the opening credits, so if you're watching a re-run, you'll have to stay tuned for atleast the opening to see what season you're actually watching. (That actually happened to me, I tuned in, didn't know what season it was from the opening segment, then the credits rolled, still had no idea, then when I saw Thirteen I knew I was watching season 4-)

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Nothing to do with that. Credits are not simply for the viewers' benefit. They're about money and contracts. As long as the original cast members are still under the same contracts, their credits can't be changed, even if the size of their roles has gotten smaller. It's very rare for a new cast member to be promoted in the credits to a higher rank (and therefore higher salary) than a more veteran cast member, unless that new cast member is taking over as a series lead (like Ben Browder in Stargate SG-1).

5. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm still hoping 13 dies a slow and painful death and the next day everyone goes "I'm glad that bitch is gone".

6. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if Thirteen does die in season 7. To do it this year would be too much too soon, but can definitely see a 'progressive illness progresses even faster - dead' arc next year, should there be a next year of course.

7. Arrqh

Arrqh Vice Admiral Admiral

The only thing Foreman has done since he got kicked back to PPTH for being "tainted" by House... is work for House. If no one wanted to give him that chance two years ago, why would it be any different now? Professionally, he hasn't done anything different as far as any other hospital would be concerned.

His only realistic way out is to have his own practice in parallel with House, like Cuddy offered when he first resigned. They could play it like they do with Wilson's patients or like the episodes where one of the Doclings has a special interest patient on the side. If some other hospital magically gave him a chance now when no one would touch him before... I'd have a hard time swallowing that.

8. LutherSloan

LutherSloan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

So what's the over/under for how long House will be in the loony bin? I give it 6 episodes max.

9. Christopher

That would be profoundly unrealistic. Huntington's disease is not actually fatal in itself, but its symptoms can lead to complications that reduce life expectancy to an average of about 20 years following the onset of symptoms. So there's no reason to expect Thirteen to die while the series is on the air. If she were to leave the show, it would be because her physical and mental deterioration had advanced to the point that she was no longer capable of performing medicine.

10. Trekker4747

Six Episodes seems extreme. Wilson being gone on lasted, like, three episodes.

11. LutherSloan

LutherSloan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, that's why I said 6 max. I think it's probably 4-5.

12. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

TV Guide already reported that Cameron and Chase return to House's team this season. They're going to work with Foreman.

One of the new doclings (either Thirteen or Taub) will not be leaving the series but will take on another role at the hospital.

13. Christopher

So are you saying the other one will be leaving? Or just that only one has been mentioned so far?

14. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

The season premiere is two episodes, so I say 3-4. He get's out by the end of episode 6 for sure.

15. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

You are assuming that House casted new underlings for any rational reason, when the reality is, that the producers just wanted something new to increase the ratings.

1 1/2.

16. T'Baio

T'Baio Admiral Admiral

They should do a whole goddamn season of House in the loony bin. Nothing with Princeton Plainsboro except for maybe a cameo or two. Just have the psychiatric team working with House and his fellow patients be the new cast. That would be awesome.

It'll never happen, of course.

They pretty much already said that his problems were merely from Vicodin toxicity. So they get him off that, new plot twist with what he's on now, and he'll be back at the hospital in no time.

17. Trekker4747

He better go back onto "Vitamin V" at some point though. It just wouldn't be the same not seeing House randomly popping a handful of pills.

18. T'Baio

T'Baio Admiral Admiral

He'll just be popping a handful of something else. Or maybe be in a lot of pain all the time. It won't be something that'll change the format too much, though. I love House immensely, but one thing's for sure, they have zero courage when it comes to changing things up. Massive reset button.

19. Trekker4747

Yeah, but I honestly kind of like it that way. I prefer the show to say as episodic and "Patient of the Week" as possible. Infact, I think they've strayed a bit far from the POTW/"medicine" stuff too much and into too much drama.

20. T'Baio

T'Baio Admiral Admiral

I'm actually not huge on the POTW/medicine stuff. I mean, I like it and find it intriguing. But the draw of the show to me has always been the character of House, and how well Hugh Laurie plays him. I don't watch for the plots, I watch for the characterizations. I was serious about having an entire season with him in the psychiatric ward. I think the show could do with getting the plots out of the hospital a little bit. Around water coolers in the morning, I don't think anyone talks about the weird and freaky medical dilemma that House solved this week. I think they talk about House...his opinion on it or what he said about it.

I would love to see an episode, which I think could be quite funny, in which we just follow House around on his day off. Grocery shopping, annoying Wilson, getting drunk at the bar, prostitutes, watching re-runs of Baywatch, going to a guitar shop...anything, really. I think something like that, written well, could be one of the best episodes of the show ever. I don't think the writers have the guts, though. They're constrained and controlled by their formula.