A Niner Watches Babylon 5 (NO spoilers, please)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by TheGodBen, Jan 24, 2010.

1. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

Re: A Niner Watches Babylon 5

You might consider buying the B5: The Movies box set rather than the TG/ITB flip disc. It contains those two plus the other three movies.

If you're in Region 1, that is. I think in region 2, the Movies box set is exclusive of TG/ITB.

No big loss if it's too late for that; ITB is by far the best of the movies anyway (ACTA coming in second). But just FYI.

I can also assure you that you won't have a complete opinion on B5 seeing only the first season. For better or for worse---opinions vary on that, most say better---it changes a lot after the first year.

2. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

As far as I know, the first two seasons of the series are still available on Hulu.com, so you could save yourself a little bit of coin if you find it's not to your liking. While "The Gathering" and "In the Beginning" are not out there, you might be able to get them through a library, reducing yout cost further.

3. Lindley

I'm of the mindset that In The Beginning works better at the end of the series than at the start anyway.

The Gathering is available on iTunes, but it's the original version rather than the (IMO) improved SE.

4. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Two things about In the Beginning:

1. Despite its title, it was made fairly later - after the end of season four, IIRC. Some of the material in it spoils one of the major secrets for season one, and another revelation from season three.

2. It is better than anything you'll see in the first season or pilot and the best of the Babylon movies overall. It was my introduction to the series for precisely this reason and the main reason I stuck with it through the mostly abysmal first season.

At the time, its scope and depth in dealing with the Earth-Minbari War was truly breathtaking for me, I hadn't seen anything like it in TV sci-fi (and that Londo fellow, wow.) Even now I love it very much - and Londo too.

5. JoeD80

JoeD80 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Also Warner Bros. own online TV channel cycles through seasons, http://www.thewb.com/shows/babylon-5. They're currently on season 4. I have no idea how many days they wait until they switch between seasons.

6. Lindley

I can understand this viewpoint, but I'm not sure I agree with it.

In vision, appearances are heavily influenced by context; more heavily than we often realize. Numerous optical illusions are based on this fact. Same with B5; putting something as awesome as ITB up front can't help but make season 1 look particularly weak by comparison. I think one might enjoy S1 more without putting ITB up front.

7. Brian

Brian Vice Admiral Admiral

It'd be like watching Revenge of the Sith before the original trilogy. :/

8. Lindley

.....I don't think that's a good comparison.

9. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

To offset Kegg's experience, I saw In the Beginning in production order when I first saw it. And I have to agree with him. It's far, far better than the first season, which is medicore whenever you watch it.

10. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

The reason I got the TG/ITB set was because I could get it for under three bucks. I would have to spend more to get the big box set and I don't know yet if I'm even going to like the series enough for that. ;)

Another reason I went this route was because for the nine years I've been posting here I've been lurking in each "Should I watch B5?" thread ever posted. ;) I know what people think about S1. :lol: I also know how much people like ITB. Since it's a prequel I'm going to watch it before TG so that I've already warmed to the characters and setting. Even if the rest of the S1 is drek I might have found enough value in ITB to keep with the rest of the show.

11. Lindley

Well, the main story is a prequel. The framing story is set well after the bulk of the series. And there are aspects of that framing story which will resonate more fully once you've seen the whole show.

12. Canadave

Canadave Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm impressed that this thread is still ticking along and generating replies despite having gone days without an update from TGB. :lol:

13. Brian

Brian Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, one of them is about learning the franchise's big secrets by watching a prequel before seeing it play out in the proper way, and the other is about... learning the franchise's big secrets by watching a prequel before seeing it play out in the proper way.

;)

14. Lindley

So what you said was true. From a certain point of view.

15. stonester1

stonester1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Always best. Welcome, brother. Odds are, you won't regret it.

16. stonester1

Trust me, you'll find plenty to love in season one of B5.

17. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

I think we scare him.

18. Kegg

I've been rewatching the series in production order, so I haven't got to ITB yet... and honestly I feel any new viewer would have no idea why people like B5 so much. It's easy to say 'it gets better'; everyone says that of so many TV series they like; but it's so seldom true it gets so radically better to the point that even if you're turned off by most of the first season you'll find it a worthwhile watching experience. I almost gave up, to the point my thread is still languishing a few dozen pages behind (I'm now at the end of S2, and yes, the better times are finally at hand.)

Truthfully, there isn't 'plenty to love' in the first season of B5. There are a couple of things you can sort of like and a handful of episodes that are good to okay, but mostly it's not something I want to revisit for a long, long time if at all. It is depressingly bad and it has not aged well.

It's also true that In the Beginning resonates more when watched in order, it's still bloody great if not.
    The aged Emperor looking out the window, grimly reflecting on the disasters which have overtaken his people, his affecting speech about drawing the curtains all over the palace
    - Londo makes an impression even if you have no idea who the hell he is, and there's nothing I think a new viewer will find too confusing on the basis that I was never confused.

But I think I fairly balanced the pros and cons of putting it first; and I guess it's up to any new viewer to make their choice.

19. stonester1

Fixed.

20. Kegg

:vulcan: I'd rather you just put that bit as a reply to me.

Of course other people feel differently, I don't think I'm implying I'm airing anything other than my two cents.