STXI DVD/Blu-ray special features wishlist

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by jefferiestubes8, May 1, 2009.

1. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

I am really looking forward to the DVD/Blu-ray release of Star Trek XI.
    The special features will most likely have a feature-length documentary showing more behind-the-scenes than ever before.
    noknowes mentioned in the past 45 minute documentaries were on TV in 1994 when "ST:Generations" came out.

"ST:Nemesis" came out in December 2002 and since then feature-length documentaries of making-of the films have become pretty regular on DVD 2-disc editions. Now you know Paramount wants to squeeze more $ out of you so they will probably put out 2 editions this November.
    bare bones with a 10 minute EPK type of featurette and a 2-disc DVD/Blu-ray with all the real stuff.

Considering Paramount has behind-the-scenes HD cameras from the shoot and also has 'access' to their CBS property "Entertainment Tonight" who shoots their own HD cameras when they visit the sets there is the potential to have a really nice documentary. I mentioned they could cover the two ST conventions but that wouldn't leave them much time to edit in the August footage for legal department to approve the content & for DVD/Blu-ray authoring and replication to distribution by late November. So on that note I wouldn't be surprised if a 'special edition' included a polished documentary that came out in Summer 2010.
    I would love to have 1960s archival 16mm film interviews of Gene Roddenberry (telecined to HD) and cut in with JJ Abrams talking about his original vision for the Star Trek universe and this film as reimagined in an alternate universe. Also additional interviews through the 1980s with Roddenberry would be great.

-a Michael & Denise Okuda text commentary
    -3 or 4 deleted scenes
    -a featurette of a sitdown interview with ST:XI production designer Scott Chambliss and Trek veteran scenic art supervisor & technical consultant Michael Okuda to discuss the new Enterprise exteriors and interiors.
    -outtake (blooper) reel

As fans we would love to see some slideshow of storyboards and design concepts of the new wardrobe, ship's interiors, props.

Hell I'd love to see ST:XI DVD get the same treatment as "SE7EN" and "Fight Club" with 4 commentary tracks. Knowing Paramount though I doubt we'll get more than 2 (as are on the new 'Star Trek Motion Picture Collection' Blu-ray/DVD) . Probably one with JJ Abrams and producers, and one with the actors.

They could also have a 10 minute featurette on the making-of the 'Star Trek:Online' MMORPG videogame (tentatively) for 2010 release. Not just interviews about the content but showing the behind-the-scenes of designing the ships, planets, space stations, characters, wardrobe

I would like to see if the BBC or Channel 4 in the UK did a documentary on Gene Roddenberry in 1970s, 80s, or 1990s that they could license.
    On the DVD "The Exorcist: 25th Anniversary Special Edition" there is a 75-minute BBC documentary originally created by the British BBC for television broadcast in the UK.
    "The French Connection" DVD also had a BBC 54 minute documentary made by the same people.

Last edited: May 1, 2009
  2. KirkusOveractus

KirkusOveractus Commodore Commodore

I'd like to see maybe some galleries of the production sketches, to get an idea of the evolution of the sets, ships and costumes.

Also, something on the writing process for the movie: what early scripts were like and how it evolved.

3. darkwing_duck1

darkwing_duck1 Vice Admiral

Seconded.

4. Kpnuts

Kpnuts Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lots of visual effects features.

Some stunning, movie-quality interactive menus, would be nice. A la Star Wars on dvd.

5. jefferiestubes8

I looked and BBC did do some documentaries in between 1995 and 2001.
    "Make it So" A look at the special effects, costumes and make-up of the franchise
    'MAKE IT SO' Directed by Susan Kemp, Produced by BBC Scotland, Length: 30 mins., 2001

"The Warp Factory" How real science influences Star Trek, and vice versa
    'THE WARP FACTORY' directed by Elaine SHEPHERD, Produced by BBC Scotland. 30 minutes., 2001
    source source 2

"Horizon - The Science of Star Trek" Roger Penrose, Stephen Hawking and Lawrence M.
    Krauss discuss the real science behind the Treknobabble. 48 min, hosted by André Bormanis. 1995

"The Star Trek Story" Documentary exploring the history and cultural impact of the series
    source

that is over 2 hours of documentaries that Paramount would have to license from the BBC.

Perhaps they will include
    2-hour Star Trek: Beyond the Final Frontier 2007 History Channel special - that were included on the DVD side of the HD-DVD combo release on TOS season 2 or 3 Blu-ray or else on the special edition of this.

6. KirkusOveractus

KirkusOveractus Commodore Commodore

Maybe a new version of a blooper reel. Some folks in the production have said they've seen things put together to make one at times during filming (one quote is in the Star Trek Magazine out now, relating to it).

7. Nick Ryder

Nick Ryder Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I could definately get into a blooper reel.

Maybe a featurette or something on the "dressing of the future" or something, sort of like how Lucasfilm did that whole thing on the wardrobe department, and it looks like the wardrobe department went all out this time around, more than usual. So it would be neat to see some of the original sketches and concepts of the uniforms, even what little nods to previous uniforms may be in there that we may not always catch.

Definately a behind the scenes with some of the props and sets

I'd love to see an interview with Nimoy about passing the torch to Quinto

Hell I'd love to see Shatner somehow "fakely" digitally added into a scene as part of the blooper reel! He'd do that.

"No young me, you... need to TALK... like this. And move your... hands. Like so. You get what I'm saying?"

"Sure I do Denny... Crane."

"No, that's DENNYCRANE!"

8. jefferiestubes8

2009 conventions behind-the-scenes and interviews

Source1 source2 source3

Since CBS Home entertainment is doing this for the TOS season 1 BD-Live essentially they are already gathering convention footage from 2009 for inclusion of fan reaction to STXI for a documentary.

9. martin

martin Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Tour of the Enterprise, we are taken around the ship by JJ and Old Spock, and it is filmed as if it was a one continuous shot style feature, to make the ship feel connected and real.

Brief tours of Starfleet Academy, the Simulator and key departments on the USS Kelvin.

A Talk and demonstration of the new Computer Interface with Mike Okuda and the new designer.

Behind the Scenes docs

An in depth Trekkie conversational piece about what changed in the timeline

Demonstration of the bridge sets in various alert modes, and as it is rocked on its gimbles, as well as various scene deconstructions, with the VFX teams discussing how they put together key moments of the film.

A feature with JJ, Orci, Lindoff (spl?) and the main cast, discussing their favourite episodes/movies of Star Trek, from all the incarnations.

10. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)
    I would love to have a version of the movie with all the stuff left on the editing room floor, just like Peter Jackson did with his version of King Kong.

I wouldn't wanna sit in a theater and watch it, but I would pay big bucks to have something like that on a Trek DVD.

11. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Auditions by Pine, Quinto and Urban.

Re-writing the Future - Interviews with Orci and Kurtzman.

12. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

I wouldn't mind seeing a feature on the music, with commentary from Giacchino and some footage taken during rehearsal and recording sessions.

13. donners22

donners22 Commodore Commodore

Footage from the premiere, deleted scenes, text and audio commentary, some discussion of why and how they came to various writing decisions, nude photoshoot with Jennifer Morrison.

14. gastrof

gastrof Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

All of the above, with all cast and crew members present wearing sombreros.

15. Michael Chris

Michael Chris Admiral Admiral

I would like the film on it.

16. jefferiestubes8

I was just watching the STAR TREK GENERATIONS - SPECIAL COLLECTOR'S EDITION DVD Disc 2 and really enjoyed the 1994 interviews with Shatner, Montgomery Scott, & Pavel Chekov from 'Orbital Skydiving' in the deleted scenes section that were shot on the on-location and the behind-the-scenes footage. Sure it is basic video footage from 1994 but I'm glad Paramount went into the vault for it.
    They also used the Paramount property CBS Studios' owned "Entertainment Tonight" footage from the movie's 1994 premeire (actual red-carpet interviews and arrivals) in the "Uniting Two Legends" featurette

'A Tribute To Matt Jefferies' interviews looks like it was shot on high-end Digital Videotape (standard def. widescreen 16x9). Really enjoyed the 2003 interview with Jefferies himself. Crisp, great contrast & great looking video.

I haven't seen all of the Special Collector's Editions but now plan to after seeing what Paramount made in 2004.
    Hell now I even want to see Star Trek V: The Final Frontier (Special Collector's Edition) for the second disc...
    I just added all Disc 2s of the Special Collector's Editions to my Netflix Que.

No matter what Special Features are to be done for a bare-bones edition and a Special Collector's edition of Star Trek XI they will all be done in High Definition for Blu-ray. Hopefully all of the behind-the-scenes were shot in HD. For us fans that is really a treat. A first actually.
    A Star Trek film's behind-the-scenes footage and on-set 2007 and promotional 2009 interviews shot in HD.

Last edited: May 14, 2009
  17. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

The countdown comic book series can be a special feature.

18. Similitude

Similitude Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

- Deleted Scenes
    - Bloopers
    - Okuda Text Commentary
    - Abrams, Ocri and Kurtzman Commentary
    - Quinto, Pine & Urban Commentary
    - SFX Docu
    - Soundtrack Docu
    - Casting Docu
    - Writing Docu
    - Interviewing Past Trek peole about Star Trek Docu

19. jefferiestubes8

Hopefully they shot some behind-the-scenes of the new sets being constructed in 2007 and then taken apart and being moved and put into storage for the next feature film.
    I'd like to see something that takes these sets from design concepts to blueprints to carpenters constructing to painters painting & set dressers working on them.

20. DangerBoy

DangerBoy Ensign Red Shirt

Hopefully Paramount does not mess around like releasing a Directors edition, then Ultimate edition, the Ultimate Directors edition, Definitive edition, etc... etc...