The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 30, 2009.

?

Grade the movie...

1. Excellent

711 vote(s)
    62.9%
  2. Above Average

213 vote(s)
    18.8%
  3. Average

84 vote(s)
    7.4%
  4. Below Average

46 vote(s)
    4.1%
  5. Poor

77 vote(s)
    6.8%
  1. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Commodore Commodore

I think this is laughable. Since when has anything Trek has done been judged better simply because it was Star Trek? Reading most of the reviews, it seems that more and more the reviewers were saying THIS is Star Trek?! It seems an indication of the way Abrams film has restarted and gave the franchise a kick in the ass, more so then we like it just because it is Star Trek.

2. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

in fact, Trek is often a drawback in critical circles. in this case, I tend to think that it was JJ Abrams who may have made the difference, IF ANY.

3. Jim Steele

Jim Steele Vice Admiral Admiral

I'll be interested to see what Jonathan Ross says about it.

4. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

Will he say anything about it? Film 2009 is off until the autumn isn't it?

5. ITL

ITL Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm sure I saw Simon Pegg do a recent interview where he mentioned Ross being at the premiere and enjoying it...but that's all I can remember.

6. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Never. Stewey doesn't know what he's talking about.

7. jamestyler

jamestyler Commodore Commodore

He was indeed, there were pics posted on his twitter - I only remember one with Quinto though...

I haven't seen/heard a review from him. But through the medium of 140 character microblogging, I know he loved it ;)

8. flemm

flemm Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Agreed. This movie did not get a pass because it was Star Trek. If anything, Star Trek seems to inspire an odd dynamic among critics, whereby if the movie spends time on challenging ideas it is boring, but if the movie is a fun thrill ride it is decried as being too shallow.

That dynamic was to a certain extent present in the reviews despite the fact that they were overwhelmingly positive. Star Trek had reached a sort of odd place in the popular consciousness and even in the minds of some fans that set unreasonably high expectations for the intellectual content of an entertainment franchise and yet unreasonably low expectations for the entertainment content of an entertainment franchise :lol:

One way to look at the new film is to understand that it is attacking those expectations and doing a good job of it (as far as I can tell).

For example many reviews of this movie (some positive, some negative) were structured something like this: "This movie was loads of fun and an awesome spectacle, BUT was low on ideas." Among entertainment franchises only Star Trek is saddled with that "BUT." For example you will not see anyone complain that a Bond movie lacks compelling ideas. You will see something like: "This is a fun thrill ride, which is exactly what it is supposed to be."

Let's say the next Star Trek movie involves some more compelling ideas (which I hope it does). We will see reviews structured likes this: "This movie is loads of fun, an awesome spectacle AND it contained some thought-provoking ideas." That is exactly how it should be. As an entertainment franchise, expectations should be that Star Trek is fun and exciting, with compelling ideas as an added strength, not a kind of ball and chain that the franchise has to drag around wherever it goes.

9. Booji

Booji Commodore Premium Member

above average
    definitely better than i thought it would be. i thought the performances by all the Enterprise crew were good, was surprised Pike made a major appearance, and was very impressed by the overall feel of the film. This definitely felt like Star Trek. Most of all, it was fun.

on the negative side, the villian sucked. easily the most forgettable Trek villian ever. Bones was a little too grim, but he still made me laugh. disappointed we didn't get to see a Klingon.

all in all, a good first flick to reboot Trek. no where near the hype, but very good. yeaaaaaaaaaaah boyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. indranee

it's not just the critics who think this way. one look at this thread will tell you, there are some fans who do, as well. ;)

11. JoeD80

JoeD80 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Because it was accidental time travel. Spock just ended up where it took him, and Nero was waiting to capture him in that spot.

12. indranee

I just got back from watching the movie for the 5th time.

AWESOME. SIMPLY AWESOME.

I'm still waiting for the shine to fade. ;)

13. Amaris

Amaris Guest

I'm going to see it for the second time tomorrow. It's been a week, so I'm going to eat it up like Scotty on a ham sandwich!

J.

14. trampledamage

trampledamage Clone Admiral

:eek:

Did you mean Scotty with a ham sandwich, or did you mean me to picture Simon Pegg stretched out on a buttered slice of bread... :p

15. Amaris

Amaris Guest

I'm saying Scotty with a ham sandwich, you pictured him with your dirty, dirty thoughts in some other way. I'm innocent. I'm not the one on trial, you are! :shifty:

:D ;)

J.

16. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Um... hold the mayo?

17. cyberengland

cyberengland Ensign Red Shirt

My wife and I saw the movie for the 2nd time tonight, and we loved it again!! Nero was not as good as a villain as some other Star Trek villains, but lets give him a bit of a break, shall we? After all, Nero did not get a whole lot of face time in the movie. Overall, despite a couple of minor problems my wife and I have with Star Trek XI, we both thought it is an excellent movie. We both would have preferred for the revitalization and resurrection of the Star Trek franchise would have been a great movie set at least a couple of generations in the future after the events in Star Trek X: Nemises. However, that did not happen. Nevertheless, we are both excited that the Star Trek franchise has been revitalized with more excitement than we can remember seeing in Star Trek in over a decade. Eagerly we both await to see what the sequel to this movie shall be, while hoping that we will get to see BRAND NEW adventures and stories for Kirk, Spock, McCoy and the rest of the Enterprise crew in this alternate timeline.

18. Amaris

Amaris Guest

...<mumble mumble>... holding something... <mumble mumble>...

J.

19. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Just joking, sorry J.

Can you tell the two fights I had in high school were because of my lack of self-control? :D

Seriously, I meant nothing by that, honest.

20. Amaris

Amaris Guest

You apparently didn't notice my own bit of laborious humor in response. ;)

J.