Over.100 channels.and almost no scifi

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by SiddFinch1, Aug 11, 2013.

1. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

True. But one complaining about having so many channels but not sci fi programming who feels strongly enough should upgrade their package.

2. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Every day I search my cable listings in vain . . . :)

Seriously, there's so much on TV these days that just keeping up with it can be challenge. At the moment, I'm two episodes behind on both TEEN WOLF and CONTINUUM and I typically have at least two or three old genre movies sitting on my DVR waiting to be viewed.

For example, I still haven't gotten around to watching THE SEVEN FACES OF DR. LAO, which I taped a few weeks ago, because I've been too busy binge-watching BIG BANG THEORY reruns on TBS . . .

3. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

One of the things I'm finding a problem with Netflix is that there is just too much I want to watch and more being added. So I usually end up watching rubbish because I don't want to get in to something I don't have time to finish.

4. Opus

Opus Commodore Commodore

I've been watching reruns of The Six Million Dollar Man and The Bionic Woman on some retroTV network. It's been great, but I have surely felt my age as most of the commercials have to do with Liberty Mutual life insurance, prostate care and reusable catheters.

5. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Hah! I know the feeling!

6. jayceee

jayceee Commander Red Shirt

This sort of thing happens too when one owns a large dvd/bluray collection (independent of having a cable/satellite/streaming service).

Over the last several years I accumulated a large collection of tv show dvd season sets. (Mostly stuff found in bargain bins under $15). Even without watching a lot of current first run tv shows, I've been slowly making my way through these dvd season sets. By my own estimates, I believe I have only watched through around 25% or 30% of my dvd collection. (It usually takes me around a week or so to finish a season of 20+ episodes on dvd, if I watch 3 or 4 episodes every evening).

7. Bob The Skutter

Yep, I have a big DVD collection, which I'm starting to get rid of, but I think "I'll start watching (Buffy/X-Files/DS9) and then I start and before I get through much of it I think "I want to watch (Farscape/Battlestar Galactica/Being Human) and it seems like I never get through anything any more because it's just too tempting to start something else.

8. jayceee

I know the feeling.

I use to buy a lot of $5 blurays and $2/$3 dvd movies, and $10-$15 tv season sets. A lot of this ended up being stuff that "I think I'll watch someday on a rainy day". :rolleyes:

With so many unwatched dvds/blurays on my bookshelves, I eventually got burned out on "collecting" it. I decided to stop regularly buying new movies and tv show season sets, back at the beginning of this year. It didn't make much sense anymore buying dvds/blurays that I only watch once, or didn't watch at all (ie. I'll watch it on a rainy day someday, sorta deal).

9. Bob The Skutter

I stopped regularly buying DVDs when I got Netflix, but yeah, I have so many that I think "I'll watch again some day" and then never actually want to watch when I go to look at the DVD shelves.

10. jayceee

The other thing I've been noticing as I got older, is how a lot of stuff I use to really like watching when I was younger, looks kinda "cheesy" and quaint through the eyes of a middle aged adult.

Yesterday I decided to clear out some old stuff from my dvr. So I ended up watching through a bunch of movies, which I taped over the last two months or so. There were several Resident Evil movies, Demolition Man, some James Bond movies I haven't seen in in ages, etc ...

When I was younger, I really liked Demolition Man. But watching it now, I found the movie to be kinda silly and mindless.

Watching through the Resident Evil movies, they seemed like mindless action movies with a minimal plot. This was definitely the sort of thing I could have got into when I was younger. Today, not so much.

11. SiddFinch1

SiddFinch1 Captain Captain

Actually just recently got that so lots of tng. I find that with 2 kids I don't get to watch much so prefer known quantities..plus there is a lot I haven't watched in years

.although glad the kids are getting older so what they watch is getting better..Phineas and ferb is actually enjoyable

12. Trek4Ever

Trek4Ever Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Also the Science Channel regularly airs both Firefly and Fringe and they do air other sic Fi shows. Terra Nova was recently shown.