(UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Jax, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Hart,

Johnson, Jagielka, Lescott, Cole,

Jones, Parker, Lampard,

Walcott, Bent, Milner

:rolleyes:

4-0 to Spain I think.

2. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Reading that lineup makes me weep for the state of English football.

In the positions that they're playing I'd only want two of those in my side - Hart and Cole.

Oh well, I'm past caring where the England team are concerned.

Edit: love tempting fate. 1-0. Well done lads. Parker, Lescott, Jagielka, all brilliant tonight.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2011
  3. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Well ENGLAND win :lol:

bloody hell I was not expecting that and despite Spain being in charge of the game we played pretty well but lets not get ahead of our self, Spain play better in real matches and not friendlies.

Hart (6) - Despite Spain's having more attacks, he was never really tested.

Johnson (6) - Got forward well at times but still caught off guard several times. Richards & Walker still better options for full back.

Jagielka (7) - Worked his socks off for his best defensive display in the three lions shirt.

Lescott (8) - The normal half asleep CB easily played his best 90 mins for ENG though needs to do it more often for serious consideration.

A.Cole (6) - Looked a little shaky at times being caught off guard and not quite the player he once was.

Parker (8) - Shown exactly why he is a key player for ENG & Spurs and for me deserves the armband over Terry. Vital late tackle to deny Pique was just superb.

Jones (7) - Was almost like a sweeper at times when ENG pegged in own half and shown just how good he will be at CB in the future. Got forward a few times but those times shown clearly hes not a man for the middle of the park.

Lampard (7) - Much slicker in possesion than in recent games and of course got the poachers goal early into the 2nd half.

Walcott (6) - Final ball an issue still and doesn't get into game enough but a few dangerous runs including one that Ramos deserved a booking for by stopping with his body. NEEDS to play upfront IMO.

Milner (7) - A typical hardworking effort who troubled Spain at times down the flank. Superb cross to help set up the ENG goal.

Bent (6) - Header hit the post that lead up to the ENG goal but apart from that made little impact. Caught offside too many times for this level of football.

SUBS
    Downing (6) - Made little impact in he game and lacks the speed of Walcott or the dribbling ability of Lennon/Johnson

Barry (7) - Made one really stupid tackle to give away dangerous free kick but then was pretty solid for 2nd half. Coming on a sub suits him more than starting IMO.

Rodwell (7) - Got forward and defended well apart from when Fabregas turned him. Hope he starts against Sweden has bags of potential no doubt.

A.Johnson (6) - Spent most of time defending, which doesn';t suit him and when he got forward seem to hesitate instead of playing normal game

Welbeck (7) - Worked hard and held ball up well as lone striker better than Bent. Bags of pace when he runs at defenders and should start upfront against Sweden in 2 man attack.

Walker (N/A) - Not enough time to make an impact but should start against Sweden.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2011
  4. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

ENG were good in 1st half and very average in 2nd though Sweden were dire so wouldn't mind facing them in 2012. We need to learn to stick opponents away though we should of won that game 3-0 instead of 1-0.

Hart (6) - Apart from one smart save had very little to do

Walker (7) - Grew into game after a shaky start and clearly prefers Spurs attacking tempo to ENG's slower speed.

Terry (7) - Solid game from the veteran who had little to do.

Cahill (7) - Same as Terry and most likely will start at EURO 2012 since Capello prefers Jones in midfield :rolleyes:

Baines (8) - Best ENG display yet and looks at home now in the ENG shirt. Solid at the back and very effective in attack.

Rodwell (8) - Brilliant display from the youngster who was unlucky not to score. Troubled Sweden all night and is clearly a box to box replacement in the future for Gerrard.

Barry (7) - Involved in the goal and was solid in front of the defence but I still believe he slows the tempo down for ENG.

Jones (7) - Much better than against Spain and his passing was superb at times but should of scored and hes still more of a CB than a CM.

Walcott (7) - Troubled Sweden in the 1st half though still looks for the pass when he should take on the player. Needs to be unleashed in the centre still for club & country.

Downing (8) - Probably his best game for ENG though at times a little slow to get the cross out and unsure if to attack the full back. Solid player but Young is the better player still.

Zamora (6) - Linked up well at times but was isolated too much and probably lacks the pace for international football.

SUBS
    Carson (6) - Only had one real save to make but looked nervous and his kicking was woeful.

Milner (6) - Decent shift but Capello plays him far too deep to influence the game at times.

Sturridge (6) - Unlucky not to have won a penalty when pulled in the box but isolated on the wing when he should be playing upfront.

Bent (5) - Did nothing as the main striker and doubts begin to re-appear if hes good enough to play in the system of the lone striker.

5. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

Back to proper football, then. God it feels like so long.

6. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

And as if to remind us there are more important things than footy...

Gary Speed, hell of a shock.

7. HappyDayRiot

Horrible news, utterly tragic. RIP. I hope the inquest sheds some light on what was wrong because speculation on things like this are always bad.

I hope we commemorate him well at our Carling Cup game tomorrow night.

8. HappyDayRiot

Horrible news, utterly tragic. RIP. I hope the inquest sheds some light on what was wrong because speculation on things like this are always bad.

I hope we commemorate him well at our Carling Cup game tomorrow night.

9. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Talking to a mate yesterday who summed it up nicely. Gary Speed played for teams who generally he didn't like, yet upon hearing the terrible news couldn't help but shed a tear or two.

Listened to Robbie Savage yesterday, agree with him entirely. Whatever was wrong it's such a shame that he couldn't talk to someone. Considering the high regard that practically everyone held him in, all the more sad.

10. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Yeah you only have to see the reaction of blokes who knew him to see how well regarded he was; Robbie nearly broke down, Given was crying before the match sunday and Bellamy wasn't even in a fit state to play.

I'm guessing something will come out with regards to the reason for it, and it may be that he's battled depression for years and it may even come out that this wasn't his first attempt. Maybe he'd be diagnosed with something terminal or maybe (and I hope not) something was about to come out about his personal live. We may never know, but whatever it was he was clearly in a very dark place and it is a shame he couldn't get help.

Stan Collymore, who I've never had a lot of time for, did make some pertinant comments about how mental illness is percieved in the footballing world, and maybe what has happened to Speed might break a few barriers down and maybe in future there will be more support available.

11. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Tonight Leeds vs. Forest and the first 11 minutes will see both fans chant his name ;) R.I.P gary

12. { Emilia }

{ Emilia } Cute but deadly Moderator

Tonight in Italy: Napoli vs. Juventus. Yes, the game that was cancelled for good weather a couple of weeks ago.

You read that right. Sort of.

13. HappyDayRiot

Sounded like a thriller though!

14. { Emilia }

{ Emilia } Cute but deadly Moderator

It was, I was so close to turning off the stream after 0-2 and 1-3 but meh, I can't. There's hardly anything worse than losing in Naples so I was really happy with the 3-3.
    Fun match.

15. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

Damn you PSG, even when I want you to win you disappoint. :klingon:

16. HappyDayRiot

Euro 2012 group draw in a couple of hours or so. Not as exciting as the FA Cup 3rd round draw, but nevertheless I love a good draw. Sometimes it's better than the tournament itself (cf group stages of WC 2010, of any CL/Europa campaign).

Group of Death anyone?

17. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Group of Death...England with...well with anyone really...

18. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

Pretty soft group for England imo. If they can't get into the 1/8th finals there they should just disband their national team. Ireland is fucked though, and so is Denmark.

19. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

ENG have good chance to get to last 8 BUT if they fail to win the group, Spain most likely await in the knockout stages. However we could end up with Fabio vs. Italy ;) and if we win our group to avoid Spain, got to fancy us to reach last 4.

20. Shaytan

Shaytan Vice Admiral Admiral

France-England...there will be blood...most likely French blood :(