Donny's TOS Enterprise Interiors

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Donny, May 9, 2013.

1. Basill

Basill Captain Captain

Re: Donny's TOS Enterprise Interiors

Ok... Don't want derail things by dwelling on these orange herrings but I thought I would post these images for more reference data.

(BTW Donny: That's so cool, I didn't realize these were plastered on various walls in TWOK)

Now, I downloaded these to my iPad some time ago, so I have NO recollection of where I got them. Upon further examination, they may be fan made replicas, or they may have come out of the auctions (or both), but I thought they did a good job showing the front with the relief Starfleet emblem and the overall proportioning.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Even if they are fakes they are pretty sweet replicas (unless you forked out a bunch of money to purchase them- in which case, you have my deepest sympathies).

Ok... back on track.

2. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

Lower left says "CALIBRATE" maybe?

--Alex

3. Donny

Donny Commodore Commodore

I don't mind these side-tracks at all. And, hey, I brought it up!

I almost want to say that this one is a fan reproduction. Not that I have any proof, it just looks different than the rest I've seen. The delta symbol and panel lines are very defined whereas the others I've seen are more smooth and rounded. The "buttons" look different as well.

Unless this was a "hero" version of some sort. I dunno. I don't have any evidence other than just straight observation.

Concerning the fact that they are on the walls of the sickbay...I wonder if they TWOK set dressers intended these to be very much like clipboards in an actual hospital, near each patient's room? Or if they just decided to break up the expanse of white with some color.

4. blssdwlf

blssdwlf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

An 80's era camera calibration target?

5. Donny

After doing a Google search of camera calibration targets, I'm convinced that it very well may have been. And. With the colored version we see in TNG, it makes even more sense. An interesting theory, blssdwlf.

6. Donny

By the way, here are two more examples of the TMP "PADD" I found in a TMP issue of Star Trek: The Magazine (which I've referenced so much it is now falling apart :(), for anyone interested. I think it should be noted that these are of considerable less quality than the one previously pictured, suggesting that it was perhaps the "hero" unit, and further illustrating my belief that Basill's other is indeed a fan reproduction of said hero unit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

I think I remember reading that the PADDs were made of vacuformed plastic. I'm guessing the examples in your photos were for background extras, hence what appears to be a lack of blinkies and the blobby shape of the Starfleet delta.

8. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Those look they've been vacuformed off the original props, which would explain the rounding on the details and diminished crisp edges.

Oops - passing Cardinal Biggles in the night with the posts. :cool:

9. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

Just a quick thought I had last night, Donny. With all the props you have recreated in 3D thus far, you could theoretically also feature a virtual Star Trek prop archive. Keep up your great work!

Bob

10. GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer Co-Executive Producer In Memoriam

The board (and the picture of it) are mine. I shelled out a fair amount of money a few years ago to buy it. It looks appropriately cheesy to me and if it's not actually legit, it has me fooled.

[​IMG]

11. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Is that a button under input? Like a real "hold your shirt together" button?

12. GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer Co-Executive Producer In Memoriam

Interesting. I've never once noticed that it does indeed look exactly like a button.

I can tell you that it's metal with a flat edge--like a nickel. Although it has four holes, they seem farther apart from each other than a button would be. If I were designing a button, the holes would be closer together to reduce the need for unnecessary thread.

The whole thing is made of plywood, and the smaller "buttons" are just brads/nails.

13. BK613

BK613 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

14. Donny

You know, it wouldn't be too hard to implement a "3D Prop Viewer" segment of the program I eventually release.

Just to give you guys a heads up, I won't have time to work on the project the next week or so, due to a local festival in town that is making my "real" job much more demanding for the time being. Ugh. My least favorite time of year.

However, I have been playing bits of the new Alien: Isolation game when I can, and it's definitely a work of art in it's attempt to re-create the atmosphere from the first Alien movie. I've been studying the way they make textures, build lighting, etc, and has given me some ideas how to enhance my project as well, and to give it that extra late-70s/early-80s feel. Nice to take a break and actually play a game again, and see how the industry is doing things.

Anyway, here's a nice screenshot (complete with some light film-grain) to tide you over until I get another update:

[​IMG]

15. Donny

Well, with what little time I did have today, I decided to try out a texture technique for some of the metal surfaces present in my project. I've added some "metallic scratches" to some surfaces, to give it more detail when up-close. This also adds a degree of a "lived-in feel" to the sets, seeing that the Enterprise in TWOK isn't brand-new anymore and a number of years have passed since TMP. I don't want it to be as "lived-in" as say, Alien or Star Wars, since Starfleet is much cleaner organization than Weyland-Yutani, The Galactic Empire, or even the Klingon Empire ;)

[​IMG]

You see the effect is quite subtle (seen on the "K-Beam" to the left) until the light catches it just right (seen on the "K-Beam" near the top-center).

Thoughts?

16. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

It's something I never would have noticed if you hadn't pointed it out, but it does add to the ship's "lived-in" feel. All these little touches just add to the realism.

17. Wingsley

Wingsley Commodore Commodore

Hello Donny,

I am amazed by both your TOS and TMP set CGI re-creations. Stunning detail!

I have a few comments, based on on-screen canon and on what I call some common-sense extrapolation of same. YMMV, of course. (It definitely looks, to me at least, like sets were changed, things added or deleted, and maybe the size of the set changed, over the course of TOS)

Have skimmed over your blog and the pages of this (getting very) long thread, I noticed a few minor details were missing:

1: In "Tomorrow Is Yesterday", Kyle arranges for soup to be delivered to the food processor/dispenser in the Transporter Room for the Air Force security guard. IIRC, this dispenser panel was located on the wall between the scanning station alcove and the door to the corridor.

2: In "Dagger of the Mind", and I suspect in other episodes (not sure), we see that there is a "back wall" to the Transporter Room, on which is a large, wall-embedded system diagnostic display similar to the one seen at Scotty's station in Engineering.

Both of these components, embedded in the Tranporter Room set for at least one episode apiece, seem to make logical sense in the layout of the ship and the form and function of what that room does. (If a man beams up from a planet to take a break, why not eat lunch or a snack right there in the Transporter Room so he can get back to work? Also, Kyle could prepare him a snack and beam it down more easily that way.)

3: In "This Side of Paradise", there is a portable waiting bench shown in the Transporter Room; Spock picks it up and is prepared to throw it at Kirk.

4: There are no access panels, closet hatches, or other dispensers from which to draw phasers, communicators, weapon belts, tricorders or other typical field equipment for landing parties when they assemble for disembarkation in the Transporter Room. Are we assuming they acquire all these items before staging in the Transporter Room begins? This would seem to contradict "The Corbomite Maneuver".

There are similar concerns for the Briefing Room...

1: In a few of the TOS screencaps linked in this thread, another, smaller wall-mounted view screen is shown in the Briefing Room.

2: This is a non-canon, but common-sense-based concern: We see senior officers conduct seemingly protracted command confereces and/or hearings in the Briefing Room. ("The Corbomite Maneuver, "Mudd's Women", "Balance of Terror", "Wolf in the Fold", "The Deadly Years") There is the loose implication that these gatherings can sometimes last for hours. We see beverages being dispensed, suggesting some of these functions are marathon work sessions. In "Space Seed", we see what appears to be a ship's "social occasion"; a dinner is served in what appears to be a redressed Briefing Room. If we can safely conclude that starship crews do indeed stage long work sessions in such rooms from time to time, and that food and drink is dispensed as it is in the Transporter Room, then can we not conclude that there is at least one wall-embedded food processor/dispenser cluster in each of these briefing rooms for good measure? (IIRC, the ship's rec lounge / crew's mess hall set, seen in "The Naked Time", "The Conscience of the King", "The Trouble with Tribbles" and "By Any Other Name", had such an arrangement, and appeared to be a redress of the Briefing Room set.)

Some canon sets still missing from your amazing body of work:

Auxiliary Control ("The Doomsday Machine", "The Changeling", "The Way to Eden")
    Jefferies Tube
    Ship's Computer Room ("Day of the Dove")
    Forward Weapons Room ("Balance of Terror")
    Hangar Deck Airlock ("Journey to Babel")
    Captain's Quarters (sorry if I missed this one, but I did not see it)
    Spock's Quarters
    Warp Engine M/AM Access Crawlway ("That Which Survives")
    Observation Deck ("The Conscience of the King")
    Various Engineering Rooms
    Botany Lab ("The Man Trap")
    "Earth" (Ship's Arboretum; "And the Children Shall Lead", "Is There in Truth No Beauty?")
    Ship's Armory ("Day of the Dove")
    Brig
    Gynasium ("Charlie X")
    Counrt-Martial Room ("The Menagerie", "Space Seed")
    Rec Room / Chapel / Mess Hall ("By Any Other Name", "The Tholian Web", "Balance of Terror", "The Trouble with Tribbles", "The Naked Time", etc.)

And some non-canon conjecture:

Airlocks, Space Suit Storage (Would be interesting to retcon this, based on what we saw in TMP)
    Enlised Quarters
    Shuttlecraft Hangar (Place where shuttlecraft would be stored / serviced)
    Flight Deck Control
    22-Man Transporter Room
    Cargo Hold / Cargo Transporter
    Repair / Machine Shop (I envision this would look similar to a lab)

18. Donny

Hey, Wingsley.

Thanks for the compliments!

As far as the TOS sets go, I am primarily sticking to what was seen in the Third Season of TOS, which is why those first season details were missing from the Transporter Room.

We never saw a food slot in the briefing room, which is why I didn't feature one in that location.

I will be working back and forth between the TOS and TWOK Enterprise sets, as I tend to get tired of each every now and then. Keep watching this thread for future updates. I can't wait to tackle more of the sets you've listed.

19. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

FWIW, those food slots in the Transporter Room only appeared in two episodes; TIY (soup dispenser) and TSOP (where Spock smashed them, before picking up the aforementioned bench).

Also, there was no "scanner station" in the Season 1 Transporter Room - this appeared during Season 2.

As for the diagnostic display, I'm pretty sure it only appeared in DOTM (although we didn't always see that wall, so who knows?)

Having a food slot in the Briefing Room makes a heck of a lot of sense! But then, what would the Yeomen have left to do? ;)

20. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

Darn, I gave it a wide berth because I don't have the time right now. Looks like I have to make and take the time, now. :klingon:

This subtle addition of scratches and the like is fascinating. While we may not notice that on a conscious level, our "sub"consciousness will probably take notice and tell us "real".

Outstanding work and attention to detail. "Fascinating" starts to sound like an understatement. :)

Bob