Marvel Cinematic Universe spoiler-heavy speculation thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by bbjeg, Apr 6, 2014.

?

What grade would you give the Marvel Cinematic Universe? (Ever-Changing Question)

1. A+

18.1%
  2. A

26.9%
  3. A-

14.6%
  4. B+

7.6%
  5. B

14.0%
  6. B-

2.9%
  7. C+

3.5%
  8. C

4.7%
  9. C-

2.9%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

0.6%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

4.1%
  1. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Spider-Man: Clone Saga

*ducks* :rommie:

2. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Marvel has started shying away from straight-up origin films, so I don't think we have anything to worry about there.

I think the 2017 film will simply be called Spider-Man.

3. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

^ Now way! The title should be Spectacular Spider-Man!

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2S19w2xXU54[/yt]

4. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

They should do what they did in the 94 animated series, have the character be a little more heroic by trying to take down the Man-Spider.

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0x9R7w7Xmpw[/yt]

5. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

But you already get a variation on that question every time one of the Avengers has a solo film now. Why didn't Tony call in SHIELD when he was up against AIM in Iron Man 3? Why didn't Cap call in the Hulk to help him take down the Insight helicarriers in Captain America: The Winter Soldier? Why didn't Thor call upon Iron Man and Captain America to help him defeat the Dark Elves in Thor: The Dark World?

At a certain point, the audience just has to accept that every movie can't be a superhero team-up and that the Avengers team can't all be at every adventure. That applies retroactively, too. Where as Spider-Man during the Battle of New York? Maybe he was stuck in Queens. Or maybe he was upstate at the time.

Maybe they have. Hell, maybe Peter Park was on Hydra's kill list!

Squint a little, I say. Every little detail doesn't have to be perfect. If it did, we'd have to explain why Bruce Banner looks so different between The Incredible Hulk and The Avengers.

Also, the fact that the Hulk exists doesn't necessarily mean you're gonna believe every story of supernatural transformation is plausible.

Sure. I just think it's too bad and not a good idea to let him go.

I figured as such, as we all did. I'm slightly displeased with this news, to be honest -- Captain America is my favorite MCU character (in case the avatar didn't give it away), and I'd prefer that he remain the primary focus of his own movie. Bringing on RDJ was already going to draw a lot of creative focus away from Cap and towards Tony; bringing in Spidey is just gonna cost Cap more dramatic focus. Hopefully the movie doesn't spend too much time splitting its attention between these guys.

6. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I know you linked the cartoon there, but what was the point of the Spectacular comic series? What did it bring over Amazing?

7. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

The point of various Spider-Man titles is to have new books in the stores every week rather than waiting an entire month.

Regarding this deal, is there anywhere where it says Peter will be used (or even the same actor will be used) in Marvel and Sony movies? Is it possible that Marvel movies will use Miles Morales instead of Peter Parker?

8. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

So long as they don't go with Superior Spider-Man, I'd be happy.

9. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

It's possible, but unlikely. The reports of who they're looking to cast seems like a young Peter Parker.

10. Bad Bishop

Bad Bishop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I suppose we might not ever see the finish of Spider-Man vs. Rhino (Paul Giamatti).

11. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Spider-Man: Welcome Back, Parker

12. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Except going with the Raimi films means having a film series where Green Goblin is dead, Doc Ock is dead, and Venom and the symbiote are dead.

Would Marvel really want a universe where three major villains are unusable due to them being dead?

13. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Well O'Hara at least is out, largely becuase the movie probably won't be in 2099, and Morales needs Parker to have been around, been Spider-Man, and died as part of his origin which might be a bit problematic.

14. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Neither company makes this deal to use one of the also ran Spider-men as the lead. It'll be Peter cause that's the general audience draw, it's as simple as that.
    Now could at some point Miles, Ben, Kaine or Miguel appear later, as a plot element in solo Spider-man films? Absolutely.

This fan driven, news site click bait tossing out rumor or discussion for anything besides Peter Parker is just that...click bait for ad revenue. Don't be fooled.

15. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

^ What theenglish said

Back in the 90's there were multiple Spider-Man titles I recall. All running alongside one another.

Amazing Spider-Man: with Peter
    Spectacular Spider-Man with Peter
    Peter Park Spider-Man: Also with Peter
    Spider-Man Unlimited: with of course Peter
    Ultimate Spider-Man came in 2000: Again starring Peter
    Spider-Man 2099 from the early 90's with Miguel O'Hara

In 2011 Miles Morales replaced Peter in Ultimate Spider-Man
    In 2013 Doc Ock took Peter's body and became the Superior Spider-Man. While the Amazing Spider-Man was put on hiatus for a year. Marvel had killed Peter off that year.

Most of the titles with Peter all write him the same, but put him in different adventures. With the exception of the Ultimate line and 2099, all the other Peter centered titles are in the same continuity.

16. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Regarding which Spider-Man to use, I want Peter Parker. I've never read any Ultimate Spider-Man so I have no interest in seeing him on screen.

17. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

I'll be amazed if it's not Peter Parker Spider-man.

Now they might have Donald Glover play him - but for the name recognition alone I imagine it'll be Peter Parker.

18. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

19. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd love to see a Miles Morales Spidey movie someday... but not for the Spidey who's going to be crossing over and interacting with other Marvel characters. That one just has to be Peter Parker.

True, but personally I think it would be worth it to see Toby Maguire return as a slightly older version of the character. I know a lot of people here couldn't stand him, but I thought he captured the geeky, boyish enthusiasm of the comic character so much better than Garfield (and that's even without having as many one-liners), and think it would be fun as hell to watch him geeking out over the Avengers as well.

20. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I agree. To me, Maguire was a great Spider-Man, better than garfield in every aspect, especially when it comes to being likeable, and even just pure acting ability. I don't think there is any chance of seeing Maguire as Spidey again, but I think it would be cool.