No Quinto In Heroes Reborn
By: T'Bonz on Jan 26

Pine Responds To Pegg Writer Announcement
By: T'Bonz on Jan 26

Retro Review: Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges
By: Michelle on Jan 24

Urban in Aquaman?
By: T'Bonz on Jan 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy All your nerd stuff goes here.

Old January 20 2015, 08:14 PM   #901
bbjeg
Vice Admiral

Re: Marvel Cinematic Universe spoiler-heavy speculation thread

Venardhi wrote: View Post
I think the time to do a Black Widow movie was pre-Avengers or at least pre-Agents of Shield. I'm sure they could come up with a story to tell and maybe even make a good movie to tell it in, but sandwiched between Thor 3, Guardians of the Galaxy 2 and Doctor Strange (or whatever) I suspect a Black Widow (with her loyal sidekick Hawkeye?) black ops spy thriller would feel a bit trifling. They could have used her in the lead of an Agents of Shield film, but with the show already filling that niche they've somewhat boxed her out.
Marvel has touched many genres in the movies. Iron Man was a techno-thriller, Thor was fantasy, and Captain America was a war-movie turned conspiracy-flick with Avenger uniting those genres. Then, though they all were science fiction, Guardians of the Galaxy took the lead in that department, with Ant-Man and Doctor Strange (with a bit of fantasy) right behind him. I'm hoping they shoot Black Panther in Africa as a political-thriller and not turn him into 'Captain America: The Winter Solder - Part 2 also in America with a Black Guy' but we'll see.

An Agents of Shield movie is exactly what they need to fill the espionage ticket. CA:TWS was close, but Steve Rogers as A Normal Guy doesn't count as con and disguise, and although Black Widow did, she wasn't the focus. If they aren't up for a Black Widow movie, AoS is the best route for that type of movie.

Jedi_Master wrote: View Post
CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
The obvious story to tell is how Black Widow went from bad to good, set in an earlier time.
I think a movie focused on Scarlett Johansson being a bad girl is a terrible idea.
If it were up to me, I'd make Black Widow a Russian espionage movie where she's cleaning up her past bad deeds. Throw the Red Guardian in there with The Abomination (maybe, after Shield looses him in their fall) or Punisher's The Russian (without tits, saving that for the TV series), and it's a sweet movie.
bbjeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2015, 10:31 PM   #902
Reverend
Rear Admiral

My concept of a Black Widow movie would be something like this, crossed with this. I think a straight up origin story would be a mistake. A better approach would be a post AoU story that has something/one from her past resurfacing to cause her trouble, and/or send her off an a Jason Borne style rampage. You keep it contemporary, move the character arc forwards while still afforded the opportunity to tell at least the broad strokes of her shady past.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2015, 10:53 PM   #903
CorporalCaptain
Admiral

Reverend wrote: View Post
My concept of a Black Widow movie would be something like this, crossed with this. I think a straight up origin story would be a mistake. A better approach would be a post AoU story that has something/one from her past resurfacing to cause her trouble, and/or send her off an a Jason Borne style rampage. You keep it contemporary, move the character arc forwards while still afforded the opportunity to tell at least the broad strokes of her shady past.
The last thing I want in a film is to have people just talking about her shady past. If her shady past matters to the story, I want to see it. Show, not tell.
Old January 20 2015, 11:23 PM   #904
bbjeg
Vice Admiral

We pretty much know Widow's story though. I'd prefer the aftermath or an all new story. Sadly, I can't recall any good standalone stories with Black Widow, at least not with Wolverine. She has a few good stories with Punisher too but he was the lead character.

Last edited by bbjeg; January 20 2015 at 11:33 PM.
Old January 21 2015, 12:50 AM   #905
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

bbjeg wrote: View Post
If it were up to me, I'd make Black Widow a Russian espionage movie where she's cleaning up her past bad deeds. Throw the Red Guardian in there with The Abomination
There we go! A basic premise for a Black Widow/Hulk team-up flick. I don't know if a straight-up revisit of the Abomination would be desirable, but he could be used as a MacGuffin...Black Widow is trying to keep him out of the wrong hands (possibly the Leader's), and Banner is along for his expertise rather than his ability to turn into the Other Guy. They could go a la Trial of the Incredible Hulk with Widow (a la Daredevil) more central to the story than Banner (who didn't even change into the Hulk in the climax of that TV movie).

Marvel, make this film and take my money!

Last edited by The Old Mixer; January 21 2015 at 02:08 AM.
The Old Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2015, 01:48 AM   #906
bbjeg
Vice Admiral

^That sounds like a good movie way down the line, but I'd rather them reintroduce the Leader in a solo Hulk movie first.
Old January 22 2015, 07:45 AM   #907
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Where was Spider-Man during the Battle of New York? The story can finally be told...