Halo Class Variant Type II WIP

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by erifah, Jul 3, 2013.

1. erifah

erifah Captain Captain

Just playing around with general hull shapes and nacelle strut configurations.

[​IMG]

2. Cjohnson1701

Cjohnson1701 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

This reminds me of the Enterprise-J sooo much since I first saw it. Then I looked again and it looks like a pair of Scissors. I have to say, I loved you're earlier design, was thinking of modeling that one next after I finish the USS Pike. If that's okay with you.

3. erifah

erifah Captain Captain

That would be SO cool.

4. erifah

erifah Captain Captain

Just a few updates:

[​IMG]

Oh, and no, I do NOT know what the thingies are at the end of the circular warp nacelles. I think they involve pollination or reproduction or something.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  5. JES

JES Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The things on the end could be stabilizers of some sort for slipstream or transwarp travel.
    I see those coils as helping to smoothen the transition from slipstream, warp, transwarp, and/or normal space, or to make sure the slipstream window and/or transwarp conduit closes without causing any damage/disturbance to normal space, or vice versa.

6. erifah

erifah Captain Captain

WTF? Are you spying on me? I had just now decided that that is exactly what they're for!:lol:

When those rings are spinning, I'd imagine they make quite a fuss as they whip and churn and in that manner fold space into a frothy lather to achieve their warp effect.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  7. Colonel Midnight

Colonel Midnight Vice Admiral Premium Member

Perhaps they're similar in use to what the USS Jellyfish had in Trek XI?

Cheers,
    -CM-

8. lennier1

lennier1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Scissors combined with a frying pan? Interesting choice. ;)

9. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

I love the antenna rectify-ers...

10. erifah

erifah Captain Captain

NOW I have to decide how big this thing is.

I've always wanted to do a "giant" starship, but the whole idea always strikes me as being too much of the fanboy wet dream - "a starship 5 miles long! With turbo-transwarp drive! And fifty DeathRay 3000 phaser cannons!"

But with my tastes for long, thin, delicate designs, I think this one could work as a biggie without being TOO preposterous. It would be big and fast, yet sometimes clumsy and difficult to handle - like a Boeing 777 at a small airport. NO death cannons.

How about if what now appears to be the bridge module becomes huge, and is the entire habitable section of the saucer? And everything else is internal docking space and equipment? I'm thinking basically a mobile space dock.

The saucer rim would be comprised of numerous docking ports & landing pads, as well as equipment and machinery.

11. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

I like the idea of the bridge cluster--looks a lot like the complex atop the Planet of the Titans art.

12. JES

JES Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Spying? Nonsense!!

What? You think you're the only resident Chief Engineer?

At least glancing through starship design schematics is a requirement for any starship designer, even if I'm constantly employing technology to occasionally circumvent occasional technical limitations. Every starship designer knows that the best place to put any space-resmoothing apparatuses is at the rear tip of the ship.
    Though maybe it was one of your assistant engineers who mentioned something, and I just put two-and-two together!

13. erifah

erifah Captain Captain

A few updates:

I'm still trying to develop a plausible flat, 3-spinning-ring-warp-coils warp nacelle. Obviously, without a traditional tube, there's no place to put the traditional Bussard collector. Maybe the trailing thingie on the back serves the same "gathering free hydrogen" function?

[​IMG]

This here's the bridge module - but it appears to me that it is shaping up to be more of a command and habitat complex, with the rest of the saucer serving as space for machinery, cargo, and space dock functions.

The bridge itself isn't the big dome in the center... rather, I think it is going to be one of the smaller circles.

I like the idea of a cluster of towers and domes are on top of the saucer. Maybe even a massive atrium or something. I don't know, I'm just toying with things:

[​IMG]

Here's how the entire ship itself looks so far. I decided that a nice Probert-esque oval would be much more pleasing to the eye in shape and balance.

I still really haven't worked out properly how big it is. I HATE Fanboy wet dream designs. But I'm leaning towards something that is, indeed, gigantic, basically the marriage of a starship and a space dock:

[​IMG]

14. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Maybe have the aft antenna spiral a bit?

15. erifah

erifah Captain Captain

Like a corkscrew, fixin' to uncork a gigantic bottle of Chateau Picard wine?

16. Mycroft Maxwell

Mycroft Maxwell Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

This design is getting more and more interesting . Its impressive how simple it started out and how interesting its starting to look.

17. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

No, more like curving back in to the side only...

18. erifah

erifah Captain Captain

I'm not picturing what you're describing.

Could you make a quick sketch? Thanks!

19. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

I can't draw a straight line with a ruler. Have the antennas bend inward as if they want to touch--but not quite.

20. erifah

erifah Captain Captain

An update. Not sure how far I'm gonna get since John Eaves got me hooked on MODO. Being able to sculpt and create and brainstorm in 3D changes EVERYTHING.

[​IMG]

I also have just started really exploring what the saucer should look like:

[​IMG]