The Walking Dead Season 4

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, May 6, 2013.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

"My mom's been fuckin' a dead guy for thirty years, I call him dad."

2. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, that episode happened. I'm half-remembering a quote I heard somewhere (forgive me, I just got up on a Monday morning) to the effect that you can either be good or you can be bad, you just can't be forgettable. I think that was the failing of this episode. It's not horrible (and certainly not good) and that's its sin.

Not that it's that great, either, mind you. I get the symbolism going on here: Beth transition into womanhood (as The Talking Dead) mentioned and showing her strength by facing something that was a weakness of her father's. Also, Daryl burning down a symbol of his childhood. However, the stupidity that lead to these things, well, that's what I had a problem with.

Beth says you're not allowed to cry during the zombie apocalypse. First, someone should have told that to Rick. And second, if you're not allowed to cry, why then are you allowed to get drunk? I mean does that ever work out for anyone in horror movies? And if it had been more than one walker outside the cabin, Daryl and Beth would not have had any right to still be alive. In the CDC, yeah, fine, get drunk. Hell, even in the prison I could understand it, but not on the run, separated from your group in a cabin that is barely a defensible position.

And, though personally, I'm all for Occupy Wall street and fighting the 1%, even I felt that was shoehorned into the episode through the golf club. Talking Dead confirmed that the hanging walkers were the rich members of the club hung by the staff. Not to mention the "Rich Bitch."

3. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"No time for love Doctor Jones."

4. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, the trunk scene was pretty cool. I also enjoyed them slipping in the little concealed fire pit scene where Beth uses sunlight to start the fire. I'd like to see more of that simple survivalist type stuff tossed in the background. Not so much that it robs the story telling, but as a garnish, it can be cool

5. PKerr

PKerr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well just as I thought, a pretty boring episode, pretty sad they are giving us fluff episodes this late in the season when there is plenty of story that could be told.

Some things that drove me nuts.

When Beth got the blood splattered all over her new shirt, why didn't she just go get another on? or take 2-3 with her?

How did the arrow/s Daryl shot at the walker pin him to the tree? why didn't it keep walking forward until they just past through him?

Why are you getting drunk when you are on the run?

The whole burning of the shack in IMO was stupid, why not stay there for the night and leave in the morning When it's light out and your not stumbling around the woods in the dark and half drunk?
    Not only that you are drawing all the Walkers right to your location with that huge fire, there was obviously a herd at the beginning of the episode, what if you draw them right to the path you are taking?

Also, why burn down a semi safe zone that you (or someone else) could potentially use again?

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  6. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Not to continue to belabor this point, but car batteries /= flashlight batteries. Difference being that a car battery has a much larger draw on it even when things are off. The newer the car, the more computerized gadgets and chips are in it, more draw on battery to maintain settings and whatnot. After not starting a car for a few months, it would be tricky at best. 6 months to a year? Forget it. The 2 years in the show? Not a chance. My motorcycle won't turn over if I don't ride it for a month or so, and no chance if I just put it away without charging for the winter.

The caveat being that if you disconnect the terminals from the car, there's no draw anymore, so THEN you'd be correct about storage times, presuming it had a good charge when put away. So, your entire snide response hinges on whether the previous owner of the car (often shown dead inside, dead next to the car, or shuffling around nearby) was kind enough to unhook the battery as he was shooting himself in the head, hiding from zombies, or being eaten. Maybe if it was based in Canada, but unfortunately it's set in Atlanta. ;)

So, about that reality thing you were going to look into...

And notice that there weren't the same complaints about the flashlights? Because that's how they work, off switch really takes the draw off the battery. Cars? Not as much.

7. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Agreed. The story doesn't seem to work as well with the group separated. At least for me. I get it - they are trying to give us more background on characters like Daryl and Michonne but it's starting to get dull.

All of Beth's reactions to things are off IMO. I cannot decide if it's the actress Emily Kinney or if they are just writing badly for her character.

Speaking of Beth anyone else catch the foreshadow to the future of going to Washington D.C. and the spoon she picks up?

Regarding people's complaints about running cars and trucks and the various reasons why they wouldn't operate [gas that's gone bad & dead batteries] I've given up on that compliant. In order for the story to work effectively they need to have transportation. How else would the get eventually to D.C. - walk?

8. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

Last night's episode was fine. It felt like the first couple of seasons again. Besides, I was getting tired of The Governor and the prison arch anyway.

I think Carol hugged him but he definitely could use another.

The zombie virus makes the batteries and gasoline work longer.

(Are we really talking about the reality of the Walking Dead? Bodies decompose. In 2 years, the majority of the walkers should be gone.)

9. wissaboo

wissaboo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

What bugs me more than the cars still running is that up to this point they picked up cars everywhere and easily but somehow a few days out of the prison no one has found one.

10. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

Why are you getting drunk? Boy, howdy. Sometimes I wonder why people on this show don't just put a bullet in their brains.

11. DarthTom

Yea that is odd now that you mention it. Also, I'm not getting a sense of how much time has passed since they left the prison. If it's just 1 or 2 days that at least makes it more reasonable that no working cars have yet been found.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  12. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

Yeah, what time does last night's episode take place? I think I saw a building burning in the background during Tyrese's story. Could last night's episode take place directly after the prison escape?

13. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

"Here comes Randle, he's a berserker."

14. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

You missed the part of the conversation where TREK_GOD_! was going on and on about how there is no way an ipod or other device would work because all the batteries in the world are dead by now. I provided links to prove that there are plenty of good batteries around.

He also contended that there is no way to recharge batteries provided on the show, thus my pointing out that we have seen working automobiles.

He's gone on and on about these two points repeatedly in the thread even after being pointed to contradictory evidence.

So, yeah. while your post provided useful information (that has been mentioned in the thread before), it was tangential to the points being argued.

Thanks for dropping by though!

15. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I'll look at and update my timeline this afternoon when I'm at the computer but Beth and Daryl should be on the night of the day Rick woke from his coma/they found the boxcar to Terminus.

16. PKerr

PKerr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Is that the color coded timeline I'm seeing floating around on the net?
    I saw one a few days ago but I can't find the link now.

17. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

It's the actress. She's insipid. I've bemoaned that point many a time and I'll bemoan it again after last night's ep. I usually enjoy character episodes very, very much but last night's was the first in a long time from TWD that I didn't enjoy at all. You can't win them all, but Emily Kinney cannot carry an episode and Norman Reedus can't talk to himself all the time. Yes, Daryl just needs the loving young thing to draw him out of his shell. Blech. :vulcan: If the episode had been played with Melissa McBride, Danai Guria or Lauren Cohan it would have been fine. Kinney's not up to the task. It's like Daryl's stuck with a 12 year old.

And burning the shack was stupid.

18. DarthTom

I think you're right. Kinney is fine when her roles on the show were much smaller but last night's episode highlighted her limitations as an actor. The whole, '..I want a drink,' shtick was acted out poorly.

Reedus didn't have his finest hour IMO either last night. The scene where he was trying to get Beth to fire a bow at a Walker seemed a little dumb as well.

Over the top metaphors of burning the shack down - or Daryl discarding his past played badly as well. They should have come up with something more subtle.

19. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

They were drunk. I'll let it slide.

20. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

I agree with you on all points, Darth Tom. Not subtle in the slightest. The writers can do better than that. Also, the whole bit of Daryl "opening up" emotionally, isn't that a bit of a retread? What I mean is--can't you picture Daryl as already having had similar conversations with Carol at some point in private? He's already been the "loner who opens up to a woman." We the audience haven't been privvy to all their conversations, but it's easy to imagine them having taken place since Daryl and Carol were so close before the prison interlude ended. Be it romantic or deepy close and platonic between them, Daryl had to have had similar talks with Carol after Sophia's death and Merle's death. Emily Kinney is a poor screen partner substitute for Melissa McBride. Yeah, I know she's really 28 but she could pass for 16 and that looks skeevy as hell with the 45 year old Reedus.

Note to writers--you don't have to pair Reedus romantically with anyone. From what I understand, that's what Reedus would prefer anyway. That being said, McBride, Lincoln, and even Danai Gurai are better screen partners for Reedus in any capacity. Why are you pairing him with a limited actress who looks like a teenager? He doesn't have to be with a young girl.