Star Trek TNG Remastered?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Jiraiya, May 9, 2009.

1. Captrek

Captrek Vice Admiral Admiral

Anybody know where DS9 stands in respect to the issues discussed in this thread?

2. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

You just gave me a headache

3. Butters

Butters Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I can't imagine any activity with DS9 until B5 makes an announcement on the matter. :rommie:

4. Falcor5

Falcor5 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It has the same issues. All the editing, effects etc... were done on Video just like TNG so it would be alot of work to turn DS9 into HD just like TNG. The same goes for Voyager. Enterprise is HD ready already I believe.

5. Malcolm Orr

Malcolm Orr Ensign Red Shirt

I have managed to get a great picture with excellent clarity by using the PS3 to upscale. The most challenging parts to upscale are:

poor lighting (such as tunnels or a damaged ship)

red tunics (red in general)

softly lit outside areas (where there is already a blur - 'The Inner Light' is bad)

The PS3 settings are:

Frame Noise Reduction: 3
    Block Noise Reduction: 3
    Mosquito Noise Reduction: 3
    Upscale: Normal
    Video Output: RGB (the Y Pb/ etc setting is poor for TNG as itd desaturates the picture badly)
    RGB full range: On
    Dynamic Range control: On

In some places the picture looks very close to true Hi Def. Usually the more stable the shot (such as Geordi talking in front of the warp core in 'Hero Worship' and talking about the firre where you can even see the wonky steel rods in his VISOR) the better, but even on TOS-R there's motion blur when moving.

A professional level upscale would vastly improve the show visually without the full remastering, though clearly a fully remastered version would be better.

6. RobertScorpio

RobertScorpio Pariah

ummmm....millions more are aksing "what is B5?"

Rob

7. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

I can forgive the TNG folks in 1987 saving money by editing to videotape in order to get the show on the air every week. But by the time Voyager was in its seventh season in the 21st century, someone in the post-production department should have noticed they were a little behind the times. The fact that they could only buy their equipment from the second-hand thrift stores should have been their first clue.

8. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

Agreed.
    I predict Enterprise will be released on Blu-ray in HD in late 2010 or 2011 (to fill time before the STXII film is released) No other Trek TV series can be released in Blu-ray unless all the work that has been discussed on this thread and this thread is done to remaster it to HD.

9. ManaByte

ManaByte Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Not going to happen. Ever.

The only reason TNG is being considered is because it was the best selling Trek series on DVD (even more than TOS). DS9 and VOY sold much worse so they can't justify a remastering for those.

As for ENT, it's HD ready (and only four seasons) so they'll probably release BluRays of it next year.

10. Falcor5

Falcor5 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Ha you make a great point! I wonder if they ever had any discussions on it and for some reason decided not to make it HD? The weird thing is The very next fall just a few months after Voyager ended they started making Enterprise in HD.

11. ManaByte

Babylon 5. Basically DS9 didn't become a serial until King B saw that Babylon 5 was actually more popular. Then he hatched the Dominion War to complement B5's Shadow War and changed the format of the show to compete.

But B5 fans shouldn't hold their breath for a remastered version of that show. As wikipedia explains:
    JMS himself admits that B5 is dead, and Warner will never fork out the cash to re-do all of the effects in the series due to how many effects it used (the five seasons of the show used more than all seven seasons of any Trek series).

12. ManaByte

Probably because Voyager was on its way out, its ratings were dropping, and it wasn't worth it to upgrade the cameras for a show that was going off the air.

As for Enterprise, the move to HD was partially an attempt to inject some viewership in the show (which didn't work).

13. RobertScorpio

RobertScorpio Pariah

Yes, I know B5 is Babylon 5. My point is, just like Farscape, not too many people outside the genre have even heard of B-5/and or Farscape. Sad, but true...

Rob

14. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

An interesting post on the STNG remastering:

http://www.dvdtown.com/messageboard/topic/8274/3/0

15. ManaByte

Personally I'd be against them replacing the ILM model in TNG with a CG Enterprise D because ILM's model is just so perfect. But there are some effects in the first two seasons that can be fixed with CG.

16. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

The model is great, but you could never appreciate it fully on television. Generations was a revelation in that respect.

It's Probert's design that I love, not the model itself (and not the four footer either).

17. FalTorPan

FalTorPan Vice Admiral Admiral

I agree. I hate the four-foot miniature. The six-footer is much better. Having said that, I'm sure that a far superior rendering of Probert's design could be made -- whether a CGI model or a physical model.

18. GalaxyX

GalaxyX Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just look at Enterprise's "TATV" and it gives you an idea of what's possible.

19. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

Enterprise E in CGI

see:
    http://www.trekbbs.com/showpost.php?p=2721777&postcount=39

with pictures

20. Captain Fine

Captain Fine Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Hmm sounds promising no??? Is this quote accurate/reliable?