What, or rather Who you won't be seeing in November

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by StCoop, Sep 12, 2013.

1. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2013
  2. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

They look great, every one of them is very recognizable.

Is Tom wearing a wig? I thought he was as balding as Colin?

3. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

No, that's Tom's natural hair.

Fantastic cover and I want to check out that issue. Is there any way to order just one magazine instead of a whole subscription?

4. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

Some American bookstores carry DWM-- I know Borders did when it was still around-- and I think a local comic shop could order you a single issue.

5. The Nth Doctor

Yeah, but I'm living in Brussels now. The only English bookstore that I've found so far that carries magazines doesn't carry Doctor Who Magazine (at least when I've been there).

6. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

Have you checked the train station? In Germany all train stations (maybe not in tiny cities) have stores that sell english books, newspapers and magazines, maybe belgian ones do the same? Even if they don't have DWM you could ask if they order it for you.

To be brutally honest, seeing that cover I'm almost glad the old Doctor's aren't in the special. Paul McGann is the only one who can still pull it off, the others are way to old to believably play their respective Doctors before their regenerations and I'm not interested in timey wimey "That's why we look older" explanations.

7. The Nth Doctor

I'll take a closer look this weekend. When is this issue is suppose to hit the book stands?

8. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

I don't think there needs to be an explanation as to why they look older. The audience knows the actors are older and will go with it.

9. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

It's a wasted opportunity by the BBC, you have 5 classic doctors that all seem to get along well with each other, that would have really translated well on film, IMO. Yes they are old but anything can be explained on Doctor Who.

10. Noddy

Noddy Captain

I'm appalled at the prospect that none of them will even have cameos. :(

11. StCoop

If people can summon up the suspension of disbelief to watch a series about a man with a magic box that travels in time and space they could have gone along with whatever reason the story delivered for their current appearances.

It's not like many of them will still be here for the 75th anniversary.

12. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Seriously! And these human actors for crying out loud.

13. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

The 20th century gets no respect!! LOL

14. StCoop

The most insulting thing is the idea that, for example, having some random woman wearing Tom Baker's scarf in the epsiode is a worthy substitute for actually having Baker appear.

15. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Idiots at the BBC are really dropping the ball on the 50th.

16. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

or they don't want a repeat of the cluttered mess that was the 5 doctors.

Imagine trying to fit seven doctors in unless you went for simple cameos of Doctors 4 - 8.

17. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

The cluttered mess is only how the writers handle it, NOT the fact that there are multiple doctors. It comes down to screen time and how it is handled in the plot.

18. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

Sorry, but the Five Doctors is a fine, fun story. And, who says you need to get all of the classic Doctors in?

Or maybe they should've thought bigger/more epic and do a multi-part anniversary special to fit in more?

It just reflects small thinking on the BBC's part. Imagine if they had tried to think big?

Mr Awe

19. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm going to voice an unpopular opinion here.

I simply don't care that the pre-2006 Doctors are not part of the anniversary special. I don't know who decided not to involve them, but it doesn't matter; whoever made the decision had their reasons. Still, we don't need a parade of actors who once essayed the role to make a special that celebrates a half-century of Doctor Who.

20. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Eh, I love the Five Doctors, and don't think it's a cluttered mess at all with 4 Doctors and their companions running around together.

I do believe 7, is too much, especially for only 75 minutes of screentime. My hope was, that it could be a Multi-episode story. I think it would've been pretty awesome to have one Doctor per episode with the Current Doctor for 6 episodes (Or maybe 2 for 3 episodes) and then a two-parter with all of them to bring it all together.