Sign in the new petition for Bring Back Janeway, please!

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Kathryn J., Dec 25, 2011.

1. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

That's the spirit! That's what I like! Never give up, never surrender.

I'll sign the petition but unfortunately the link seem to be broken now.

2. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

KJbushbaby said the same thing :lol:

3. CoveTom

CoveTom Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't have an opinion one way or the other on the subject, except that online petitions are a worthless way to accomplish anything. That's not to disparage the intent of the people who set this up or have signed it. But no company or organization takes a bunch of online "signatures" seriously. If you want to have an impact, they need to receive actual, personally written e-mails or, better yet, actual physical letters from people. And not form letters. Actual correspondence gets attention. Petitions and form letters do not.

4. Syn.Sixx

Syn.Sixx Ensign

There are people who dislike Janeway, and there are those who loved her. Sadly, there are also rude individuals who mock those of us who want to see her returned in the novel-verse books. Those of you who post such derogatory, nasty and snarky comments only make yourselves seem rather sad and unpleasant. You're allowed to have your opinions, as we are allowed to have ours.

Sign the petition and show your support for Admiral Kathryn Janeway!

http://tinyurl.com/savekj

5. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

6. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

As I've said before - I didn't particularly like Janeway - character, writing or casting. Kirsten Beyer is doing a great job with the books without her, which are imho much better than the actual series ever was. Janeway may well return in Treklit at some point - I think it is very likely but I rather hope not. That's not really the point.

While I am probably in a minority definitely not wanting her back, there really are quite a lot on here who really don't care either way as long as the books are good. A petition is pretty pointless, and may not be very well supported anyway.

S & S will do what they plan to do...

7. Killandra

Killandra Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I respectfully disagree and not just because I adore Janeway and she's one of my childhood heroes. Simply put, Janeway is one of the few characters that could not be thrown out to still have Voyager work. Kirsten Beyer is doing a good job w/o Janeway and honestly, the books have continued better than I originally thought they would however, Janeway was the unifying presence for the Voyager crew. No character can replace her presence or dynamic. The books since her demise in some ways read like it's a large away mission and we're waiting for her to magically appear on the next page. There is a feeling of a lost element and that element is Janeway. No Janeway= no Voyager.

I've talked to others who didn't care for Mulgrew's performance. I adore her as well. But all I can say is look as Ms. Bujold's work (the original casted Janeway) and I think you may appreciate Mulgrew a little. ;)

8. Killandra

I concur. Nothing is a waste of time, etc. as long it is something you feel passionate about.

9. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

That's the point.

I lost my mother to cancer a few weeks ago, only 18 months after my father went the same way. My Dad had lingered over five years; my mother went through the whole thing in a few short months. On Christmas Day, we had 16 people at Christmas lunch, all secretly expecting my mother to magically appear, laughing and handing out gifts. It didn't happen. (Although, after her funeral, my brothers and I found three boxed mugs in her pantry, inscribed "All I want for Christmas is my Mum". And Christmas cards, all written out, for everyone she knew.)

I'm almost dreading to read beyond "Full Circle", but Ms Beyer's work has received such acclaim.

And yet, life must go on for those left behind.

With death comes the anguish that nothing will be the same again. Group dynamics will be permanently altered. Principals leave schools, families lose matriarchs, starships lose captains, countries lose leaders... but the rest of us have to make a new future, not wallow in the past.

Of course, VOY is science fiction. One day, some how, some way, some editor will want to revitalise the VOY books again (but they aren't tired again yet!) and Janeway will have a shock reappearance, or some author will pitch a new Janeway story that Pocket/Gallery and CBS Consumer Products can't resist. Maybe for the next big anniversary of VOY, or maybe not? But let's not rush it. The VOY books are at a high. Let's save the miracle resurrections for when they are needed, not do it now and muddy Ms Beyer's acclaimed current storyline.

But the new female captain of the current novel arc (concerning the Voyager fleet's mission back to the Delta Quadrant) is nothing like Ms Bujold's Janeway, nor Ms Mulgrew's Janeway. Nor is she supposed to be.

10. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

No, I'm sure all women are exactly the same.

11. Lynx

New female captain on Voyager?

How pathetic!

They do kill off the best female captain we've ever seen in Star Trek and now they are gonna replace her with a weak copy. I find it almost insulting. :mad:

12. Therin of Andor

Not "they are gonna", it was done several novels ago and you know that, even if you haven't read them.

And you know this because...?

Perhaps not as insulting as you making such sweeping accusations as in your previous post.

So: Dead Janeway should have been replaced... by a male captain? The ship should have been... dismantled? Dead Janeway should be resurrected? Demoted?

Just what are you asking for that doesn't involve a reversal of time itself?

13. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

What a ridiculous reaction, especially since you clearly haven't read the books to know anything about the new captain A weak copy? What does that even mean?

I haven't read the books either, but I'm not about to jump to conclusions about a character I know nothing about.

VOY was a show about Captain Janeway trying to get her crew home. She succeeded. Anything Voyager does after that would have to be a pretty dramatic departure. The series would need an entirely new premise.

Honestly, without the drive to get her crew home, I don't know if I would even want to see Janeway anymore. That was her defining characteristic.

14. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Don't you think kathryn knows that?

Why else Endgame?

Thinking about if Daystrom and Annorax had a baby.

15. Kirsten Beyer

Kirsten Beyer Writer Red Shirt

First, Therin,

Though this is probably not the best place to express this, I'm terribly sorry to hear about your mother and father. Truly, you have my deepest sympathies.

Second,

Just, once again, in the interest of getting all of our facts straight...

When the Voyager Fleet was first dispatched back to the Delta Quadrant, The Admiral of the Fleet was Admiral Willem Batiste and Voyager's new captain was Captain Afsarah Eden.

By the end of Unworthy, Batiste had departed, Captain Eden became Fleet Commander, and Chakotay once again became Captain of Voyager.

Therin couldn't know that if he hasn't read past Full Circle, and I'm sorry to spoil that for you here but as the books have been out a good long while and I don't know how to do spoiler tags...apologies.

But no, we didn't replace Captain Janeway with a weak copy. Captain Eden was briefly Voyager's captain but as part of the ongoing story, Chakotay is once again in command of the ship that was his as established in Christie Golden's books.

Kirsten Beyer

16. Therin of Andor

Thanks Kirsten, as you can see, your books are going to be that much harder to read now that I'm coming from a new perspective. And, although I know you'd love to sink your teeth into a juicy Janeway tale, it's gonna be a hard task if you are ever challenged to right Another Trek Resurrection story, and a very hard task for those of us who've lost loved ones in real life not to see a science fiction rebirth as trivial.

Hahaha, even further proving my point to Lynx. One can't really comment accurately on books one hasn't read yet!

17. Killandra

I've liked what you done so far and I enjoy Eden...actually I like Farkas more than Eden, but I do like them. I don't believe they were meant to replace Janeway because let's face it: no one can replace Janeway. As I said before, I still have that sense of loss and false hope of wanting to turn the page and see her pop up even though I know it won't happen. I still want Janeway to return and there's many things she could do and I wouldn't be opposed of her taking a demotion to get her butt back in space where she belongs...if she was somehow magically returned. However, I also know the likelihood of Janeway returning any time in the foreseeable future is pretty much nonexistent.

I won't loose hope however (no matter how futile), she was a childhood hero of mine and I must admit that when I first learned of her demise, I too was spitting venom, but my curiosity had me give in and give the books a chance. I will never believe killing Janeway was a good idea or that it's truly Voyager without her, but that's my prerogative, just like those whose views that oppose mine. I'll sign petitions to support her return, etc. but I won't go on head hunts for the writing staff.

I do have to say I don't care much for Chakotay being captain. I do like him as a character and as a first officer, but he never had that captain's presence to me...even when he was Maqui. But, that's just me and hopefully my perception changes as the books go on.

Ms. Beyer, keep up the good work and hopefully if Pocket Books does decide to finally give us back Janeway, I hope you're still around to be given the honor to do that.

18. Lynx

Ridiculous reaction? Why? Am I not allowed to react when something I actually liked is ruined?

Sorry, I'm not one of this sheep who just bow their heads and accept everything, good or bad. When I dislike something, I react.

And if you want a change, then you have to speak up.

As for a new premise, wouldn't it be better in that case if Voyager was laid to rest and if those in charge of the relaunch used their talent and skill on a story with a new ship and new crew. There they could add as many Edens and Batistes as they wanted, waste, kill off or replace as many important crew members as necessary for the premise of that story and leave us Voyager fans alone with our memories and our fan fiction?

19. Therin of Andor

Ah, but you represent a very small sample of VOY fans. The Relaunch novels are being enjoyed by many ST fans, some of whom were always diehard and casual VOY fans, and some others who now count VOY as one of their favourite novel series.

And you still have your memories and your fan fiction.

Imagine the outcry: "Out of all the Star Trek series, the one that got its book tie-ins cancelled was the one with the female captain!"

20. Lynx

But the female captain is already wasted! So what's the point?

You can also turn it into: The only captain which was killed off in those relaunch books was the female captain.

As for representing "a small sample" of the Voyager fans, I'm not so sure about that. Many Voyager fans have simply turned their backs on the relaunch books because of the "changes"and aren't even participating in those debates. Then we also have those who hated the series and Janeway as well and who might find this new course of the events more appealing. I'm constantly running into those who participate in this debate who never liked the TV series and only show up on the Voyager forum when a thread about the books and/or a campaign for bringing back Janeway starts to praise the new direction of the books and in some cases show their happiness over the fact that Janeway was ditched. Are they really Voyager fans? I'm not so sure about that.

I know that there are many Voyager fans who buy the books too but I'm sure that even more should buy them if they were about the Voyager crew from the series.