Blurb for What Judgments Come

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by DarkHorizon, Jul 2, 2011.

1. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well I have total faith in the authors that the end will be amazing, and I'd rather have an amazing end than a boring dragged-out fade to nothing.

New Frontier really deserves it's chance at an epic ending as well. Here's hoping.

2. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

Now that I know this, I might not read Declassified or What Judgments Come, and just wait until the whole thing is done to read it all from the beginning again. That would be fun.

David - is there a publication date for Storming Heaven yet? I'm guessing somewhere in the April > June area?

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

The Stargazer novel series pretty much did. The books had an arc that came to a conclusion in the final volume. It was a conclusion that also served as a new beginning, just in case the decision was made to continue the series at some later time, but it was a planned ending for the series as it stood at that point, and it hasn't been revived since.

Then again, maybe that was more of a miniseries than an ongoing series, since it was only, what, six books long, not counting The Valiant?

4. David Mack

David Mack Writer Rear Admiral

^ The current plan is to have Storming Heaven go on sale at the end of June 2012, just in time for Shore Leave, so that the series' finale can break in the same place as its premiere did seven years earlier.

Well, when Vanguard concludes it will number only eight books, including the anthology Declassified. I'm not sure there's a minimum threshold that distinguishes something as either a series or a miniseries. The distinction between the two, I think, might be that a miniseries is a subset of stories within a larger established series. In that regard, I think that both Stargazer and Vanguard deserve to be classified as series in their own rights.

5. 21Spike65

21Spike65 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I know that Corps of Engineers was technically canceled when the ebook line went on hiatus, but wasn't the last two-part book in that series intended as a suitable finale as well?

6. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

IIRC TerriO has said that she was able to rewrite the story somewhat to make it more fitting for a finale when she learned that the line was "put on hiatus".

7. Christopher

^Yeah, it was tweaked to work as a finale late in the game, but it definitely was not a planned conclusion for the series. I know because I had an outline awaiting approval from Licensing when the series got canned, and I'm not the only one.

8. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

You announced it in the "About the Author" blurb in one of your books, as I recall -- the Aftermath trade paperback, maybe?

9. Thrawn

Cool, makes sense.

Oh, and Vanguard is definitely a *series*. Nothing this epic is "mini-" anything :)

10. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

One of the things I love about Star Trek: Vanguard is that it's actually a very insightful look at how otherwise good people, acting from commendable motives, can be led to make horrible choices -- at how institutions can fail, how personal culpability intersects with national service, at how original sin can infect liberal democracy. It's a much darker look at politics than Star Trek traditionally has, but it's very honest.

11. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

No, it doesn't "clearly" say anything like that at all. Clearly, I don't know more than most everyone else here. I'm allowed to throw out speculations just like everyone else. You don't have to read them.

As I said, unless they destroy the station and kill everyone, other related adventures could still take place there. Or elsewhere. Presumably some of the characters survive (well, we know Nogura, Terrell and Carol do, for a start).

Okay, any continuation won't be "Vanguard", but it's not necessarily "The End". The characters in "Vanguard" are good, strong, popular characters. Good, strong, popular characters are bound to return. Even dead ones.

12. cal888

cal888 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The Art of the Impossible includes a 24th century T'Prynn working with Elias Vaughn out of a Starbase 47.

13. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Yep! :bolian:

14. nickyboy

nickyboy Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I will be sorry to see it finish, but glad to see it go out on top.

Hopefully these guys will move on to a new trek-lit series of their creation, or David Mack devoting more time to the crew of the Aventine.

15. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hopefully there will be no new series for a while. There's already:
    1. Enterprise Relaunch
    2. 5 Year Mission TOS
    3. Other TOS
    4. The Lost Era related stories
    5. TNG Relaunch
    6. DS9 Relaunch
    7. VOY Relaunch
    8. New Frontier
    9. Titan
    10. the 4 "dead" series: Challenger
    11. Stargazer
    12. SCE
    13. and IKS Gorkon,
    14. and the kinda series "Excelsior"
    15. "Aventine"
    16. and "DTI"
    It would be good to just focus on those for a while, right?

ETA: Forgot

17. Mirror Universe (ending) and
    18. Myriad Universes

Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  16. cal888

cal888 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Don't forget the Mirror Universe.

I think Aventine can fit into a where-are-they-now DS9 diaspora, along with Sisko on the Robinson, O'Brien on Cardassia, and Odo in the Gamma Quadrant.

17. Thrawn

^ Seems like "Rise Like Lions" is essentially finale-ing that, too.

I have the feeling that next year is going to be a real transition period, as (apparently? hopefully?) the DS9 relaunch gets rebooted or restarted or something by DRG3, Vanguard and MU come to an end, and Mack's TNG trilogy shakes things up again. Closing off a lot of things Marco & Margaret's departures left open, and moving to the new editor's stuff.

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't about know about Rise Like Lions. All we know is it seems to be the end of the Terran Rebellion and Memory Omega, I don't see why we couldn't get stories about what ever comes about after them.

19. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

Guh. I'm glad the story will be told but very disappointed that it's ending so soon. Feels like it could go on for a few more books.

Interesting that New Frontier and Vanguard (both series featuring non-TV main characters) could be/are ending.

20. Christopher

If so, there's no connection. As Greg has pointed out recently in other threads, there's no top-down master plan at Pocket governing what happens in the books; it's driven by what the authors and editors want to do. Vanguard was always planned to reach a conclusion sooner or later, and the four creators came to a decision that now was the time to begin the endgame. If NF were also coming to an end (and I don't know if that's the case), it would probably be PAD's decision or that of his editor (and I believe the NF books have mostly been edited by Ed Schlesinger), so it'd be totally independent of the Vanguard decision.