Blurb for What Judgments Come

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by DarkHorizon, Jul 2, 2011.

1. Warp Coil

Warp Coil Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've only recently started to read the Vanguard series. I'd picked up Harbinger on a whim several years back, read it, and didn't find it all that compelling. It sat on the bookcase ever since. Recently, I started to search for some new series to read. I thought about Vanguard again. The fan reaction to the series has been so overwhelmingly positive that I thought I should give it another shot. I re-read Harbinger and enjoyed it much more the second time around. I've just started Summon the Thunder and I already have a copy of Reap the Whirlwind on deck to read next.

News of the series ending makes me sad. However, it's encouraging to know that the series will come to a natural, carefully-planned conclusion rather than just stopping abruptly or fading away without resolving the main story threads. I also can take solace is knowing that I've got several books to go before I reach the end.

2. Jakks

Jakks Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Well, it sucks to hear Vanguard is ending. But I'm glad its a planned conclusion and not a 'fizzle out' ending.

Still, I've really enjoyed a series with original characters set in the TOS time frame...I hope some one does something similar again one day.

Looking forward to the books that are left.

3. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If it comes to an end with BMB it's certainly not PAD's decision. From his blog (May 21st):

Why possibly last? Because the economy sucks, the publishing industry is slowly disintegrating, and rather than make long term plans, Pocket is making decisions entirely based upon what’s happening right now. So they’re waiting to see what the sales are on this book before deciding on whether there will be any more.

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^Either way, the point is, the decision to end Vanguard is unrelated to that.

5. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

i hope the USS Gloucester gets a good role in the end of Vanguard.

and Dayton, i know i still owe you a pint!

6. toughlittleship

toughlittleship Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Sad to see Vanguard come to an end, but I don't mind the slots in Pocket Books' schedule it will create. By the time it ends, Vanguard will have had five books released in three years. I wish DS9 had that kind of release schedule.

7. Julio Angel Ortiz

Julio Angel Ortiz Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm sorry to hear that it's ending, but at least it will be complete and not left hanging due to any kind upheaval, schedule changes, etc. Looking forward to the finale.

8. Ktrek

Ktrek Captain Captain

I was a bit saddened when I heard the news today about Vanguard and those last pages are going to be very hard to read. Thanks to David, Kevin and Dayton, and Marco who did such a wonderful job with the series. I'm sure that you will write a conclusion that will be fitting and memorable.

Kevin

9. DrCorby

DrCorby Captain Captain

Like many others have said, I've really enjoyed this series. And while I'll be sad to see it end, having it all wrapped up in a carefully-planned conclusion has a definite attraction.

I'd wondered if the Vanguard series wouldn't have to end or change drastically after reading Paths of Disharmony. When it talked about the Shedai research being locked away in a super-secure facility with the (electronic file) key being carefully hidden, that had to mean the mad race to unlock the secrets had to have ended one way or another. The meta-genome was so revolutionary that it should have changed a lot of things over the last hundred years, but it hadn't. So, something had to change...

That's one of the dangers of writing a prequel. There's always the question of why the new story wasn't known in the earlier stories that are set chronologically afterward. Like Chief O'Brien, temporal mechanics gives me a headache...

10. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

Not exactly a monumental change but wasn't it stated somewhere along the line that this was where dermal regeneration technology came from?

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

^And ever since Carol Marcus was brought into the series, I've been convinced the TMG also played apart in the creation of the Genesis Device.

12. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

^ I'm pretty sure that's been explicitly stated, if not in-universe then by one of the authors around here.

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ok. I couldn't remember if it was ever actually stated as a fact.

14. terpette

terpette Commander Red Shirt

On the other hand (ok, turtles don't have hands... other paw? other foot?) I think having some series that definitively end is (a) good for us readers, because we get the entire story arc and (b) good for enticing new readers.

Because (a) I'm still peeved that CoE just up and vanished on us without a real proper ending (though the two TerriO entries at the end were good) and (b) I keep trying to get folks to read TrekLit, and it's easier when I can say "Oh, there's just a few books in this series, it doesn't go on for 50 books and you don't have to know all the backstory to enjoy them".

Karen

15. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Well it IS being written by David Mack.

16. BrotherBenny

BrotherBenny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And would explain why there is another Starbase 47 later on.

17. Man of Steel

Man of Steel Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Is there an ending for Titan as well?

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't see why there would be, it still seems to be pretty popular, and there's no arc that we have to worry about dragging on for to long.

19. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Book 568, "The Revenge of Mrs Troi."

20. BrotherBenny

BrotherBenny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Book 47: Crash of the Titan