The next Batman reboot

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Nerdius Maximus, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

Like most geeks who grew up in the 90s, the TAS universe is the definitive Batman world for me, and those characters the definitive versions(for the most part). There is something about that seemingly endless dusk and the odd retro-future aesthetic that seems perfectly suited to Batman and makes his existence easier to accept than in a real gritty world like Nolan's.

As much as I enjoy seeing Bale as Bruce with Chris behind the wheel in those fantastic but subtly flawed films, that shadowy off-kilter setting calls to me with a far stronger siren song than they have yet managed and I would give quite a few spare body parts to make it happen.

A mature, established Batman starting to feel the years of sacrifice and the dozens of life-or-death struggles along the way. A weariness settling on him as he begins to accept that the battle will never end. An enemy that challenges his mind and his constitution as much as it does his strength and gadgets. . . alas.

A man can dream.

2. Nerdius Maximus

Nerdius Maximus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm glad someone sees where I'm coming from. Every time I watch some old gangster film set in Chicago or something like that, with lots of fog and shadows, I always think to myself, "This is a perfect setting for Batman." That style, but with modern production values, in the hands of the right director, would be incredible. Tim Burton's movie had that kind of look about it, but it would be even cooler to have it actually set in that time.

3. Venardhi

A neverwhen blending of the 30s-60s and retro-future suits the character better IMO. You have to have some level of advanced technology or he is literally just a tougher Sherlock Holmes in a weird costume.

4. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Robin would work great if a filmmaker chose to write him with the same type of serious tone (I'm not talking about character I'm talking about tone). There are a number of reasons Robin didn't work in the Schumacher films...they made him too old first of all. That was their first mistake. They made him a whiny brat. As I've mentioned before in other threads the best Dick Grayson origin in my opinion that demonstrates how he could be handled in a mature way is the graphic novel "Batman: Dark Victory". Jeph Loeb's treatment of the character is perfect and riveting and gives emotional context to both Bruce Wayne (who is now forced to become a father figure) and Dick Grayson (who has just lost his parents). Alfred has something more to do as he helps focus and harness Dick's anger and frustration. The scene where Dick discovers that Bruce is Batman is terrific. Anger, frustration, and sadness all in one panel. Just because Robin did not work in one depiction does not mean he can't work in another. Batman always needs a Robin (to paraphrase Tim Drake) in order to provide an anchor. This was served by Rachel Dawes in the two films. Now that Batman doesn't have an anchor in "The Dark Knight Rises" it's going to be interesting to see how Bruce functions.

5. C_Miller

C_Miller Captain Captain

Oh yeah, I'm a huge JSA fan. In fact, as much as I hated Watchmen as a Watchmen movie, I think the tone would fit a JSA film. The very real setting of World War II juxtaposed by colorful, almost garish costumes. I actually think it would be relatively marketable too. Maybe not by franchise recognition, but by type of story. People love World War II movies and they love Superhero movies. Combine the two and you have a gold. Plus Flash and Green Lantern ar epretty recognizable.

6. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Batman Beyond by Ridely Scott.

Or one offs, different styles, directors, actors based on comics like "The Dark Knight Returns" etc.

Or a continuation of the world created by Nolan, but not a direct continuation of the story but using it's tone and style as it's foundation.

7. C_Miller

C_Miller Captain Captain

I could get into your middle option. I think that's probably going to be the most economically and creatively feasible at this point.

8. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

[​IMG]

9. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Arguably that's what the Burton films were at least in terms of the look of the sets and costumes. In fact, as I recall, Burton originally had a certain amount input on the design of the Timm series.

10. C_Miller

C_Miller Captain Captain

That's true. I didn't really like the Burton movies though. To me, they felt more like Tim Burton movies than Batman movies.

11. Admiral_Young

I'd love a "Batman Beyond" movie. One was in development but fell apart. Clint Eastwood was rumored to play Old Bruce. A "Batman Beyond" movie directed by Duncan Jones would be awesome.

12. Nerdius Maximus

I really, really liked the first one, but Batman Returns was just too goofy for me. They really camped it up for that one, and I just wasn't feeling it. I watch it occasionally, but much of it gets on my nerves. The first one though, perfect, IMO.

13. Nerdius Maximus

Was the one that was in development live action? That would have been cool.

14. Admiral_Young

^ I believe it was meant to be live action yes.

15. SG-17

SG-17 Commodore Commodore

I agree, I would love a Batman Beyond film. Just don't know who would make a good Terry McGinnis.

16. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

The third film isn't called "The Dark Knight Rises" for a reason

The cave and possibly a new car will signify that Bruce will probably accept he'll never stop being batman. The city needs the dark knight and he'll fight till his last breath.

17. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Nobody will ever make me watch a Batman movie that's not directed by Nolan. His take on Batman is perfect, imo. It's like Lord of the Rings. Won't watch a new take on it. Jackson did it already.

18. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

That would have been the best movie ever.

19. Venardhi

Burton films were very 80s, mixed with his usual dark and gothic look and a smidgeon of art deco. It only went as far as the surface though, and the exact same movies could have been made in a then-modern setting.

TAS took the best parts of the setting, and filtered out the Burtonism and 80s tackiness. It was a timeless setting that far surpassed the films that inspired it.

20. Admiral_Young

David Henrie from "Wizards of Waverly Place" would make a fine Terry McGuiness. He kind of looks like a live action version of him. A little older actor would maybe be Arnie Hammer from "The Social Network". He'd work too.