The Walking Dead Season 3

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Gotham Central, Jul 14, 2012.

1. Kytee

Kytee Commander Red Shirt

I loved last nights episode, the dialog between Michonne and Merle was wonderful; really got to know Merle more before his death.

I found it interesting how he said he had spent alot of time thinking about Rick, he mentioned the fact that Rick had tried to come back for him. I wonder if he had come to the conclusion that he would have been better off trying to fit in with the Alanta group. Considering he had never killed anyone until he worked for the governer , he musta figured Rick would not have asked that sort of thing in order for him to stay. ( Course , Rick pretty much DID ask that of him...... )

-Kytee

2. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just how many actual fighters, and how many possible fighters, are at Woodbury?

They started with 72, added Tyreese and his sister and the 2 jerks (76). They lost 6 to Rick's group and 8 to Merle (62). They were men and women who seriously were more hindrance than help in a fight, and a number of children. Even if you limit that to 20--and I think it's more--that leaves 42 possible fighters. Half of which likely suck at shooting and fighting compared to Rick's groups, but even a fool can get lucky.

Ricky's group has Rick, Daryl, Glenn, Maggie, Carl, Michonne, and limited Herschel. Carol, Beth, and obviously Judith are not fighters. Carol can provide some support on moving weapons, reloading, etc. Beth needs to protect the baby. So maybe 7.

Odds at guerrilla warfare? Odds at ambushing in the prison? Cut off a large group and Rick et al have a good chance.

3. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

True. :lol:

:cardie:

4. Pavonis

Pavonis Commodore Commodore

Out numbered 6 to 1, the prison group has no chance to win. They can hurt the Woodbury forces, but they can't win.

5. ThunderAeroI

ThunderAeroI Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think Merle realized how grave his situation was once they left him on the roof. He was only left there because they had to leave in a hurry and Rick would have never left him there on purpose anyway. I'd also guess that Rick would have left Merle there had Lori not asked him to tell Daryl where he was...Rick then realized he not only had to tell he was honor bound to go and get him himself.

I have to give props to Rick though, I would not have cared if Merle died, he was an ass and the new world doesn't need people with that attitude. Heck one of the first things Merle says to the group is how ironic it was that Michonne had two African Americans chain ganged to her - who herself was possibly African American. Merle is an ass, I'm surprised he didn't kill anyone prior to the zombies.

I don't recall Rick ever asking Merle do do it anyway - he says he did, but I figured that was him taking responsibility for something wrong happening and not telling the others the truth like he seems to do (often). Merle does it because he knows Rick really wont, and I'm honestly surprised Rick would even think of it after what happens with Gleen and Meggs. Herschel should have said he would not trade her in to save his daughters out of all of them I expect him to be the moral center of the group with Dale gone.

6. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

All they need to do is kill the Governor, Martinez and a couple of the other thugs and let Andrea and Milton take over Woodbury since the town folk look up to them. It is really just a matter of cutting off the head of the snake.

7. ThunderAeroI

The best way to win would be to not fight there at all. Put Walkers in the prison where they were living and leave. Place Beth and the baby stay in the freight train near Woodbury but far enough away that you wont hear the baby cry. The rest of the team wait close enough so that when The Governors forces leave the team can seize Woodbury. Lay traps, explosives, and everything else. Then leave as the group comes back to a more defensible position.

As the explosive explode, Rick's team has the advantage of picking targets and eliminating only the paramilitary tropes and leave the conscripts alone. Killing as few conscripts as possible, they are already sheep, they will stay sheep under new control -their not the threat The Governor is.

Beside a wholesale departure, that is the best plan. Defending the prison just isn't wise as it has a number of problems.

8. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

I cant see Ricks group attacking Woodbury, it is more likely that they may ambush the Governors guys on the way back to Woodbury if anything.

9. Pavonis

Pavonis Commodore Commodore

Even if they kill the Governor, Martinez will just step in, and what will be different? Even if the Governor could be killed during the prison assault, how many of Rick's group would die before successfully killing him. A Pyrrhic victory is no victory at all for Rick's group. Rick's group should have survival as their only goal. Staying at the prison is not a viable goal, because taking any casualties at all is a defeat for them.

10. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

I would not trust that; they were living the good life at Woodbury, and the only thing disrupting that was Rick's group (they will not care that Merle kidnapping Maggie and Glenn set that in motion).

Rattling once-happy cult members never ends well, and Rick's group would have to sleep with one eye open.

They need to high-tail it to some other state.

11. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Probably one of the best overall episodes of the season, or even series. Bravo!

12. TREK_GOD_1

Agreed. In one scene, Michnonne continued her transformation into one of the level-headed heroes, while Merle lifted himself out of his past by thinking of others before himself.

Michonne is so different than the surly, one-note "warrior" she was for the 1st half of this season.

13. ThunderAeroI

You may be right, but moving to a new location isn't ideal either for the same reasons as staying in the prison is bad. Ideally what they should do is move into Woodbury, but they cant for the same reasons Merle cant live with them.

14. Caligula

Caligula Vice Admiral Admiral

I hope so. If Joss Whedon were in charge of the show, then that ring would have meant certain death for one or the both of them next week.

The person I'm most concerned about is Judith.

I'm thinking that Daryl will find and rescue Andrea, and that the both of them will help turn the tide when it looks like our heroes are about to be wiped out.

I think we'll lose AT LEAST Beth and Hershel from the prison group.

The Governor has made too many enemies, even out of those who originally trusted him, to survive. That's the problem in trying to predict how he'll meet his end, as there's so many people who have their own personal reasons for wanting to see him dead. Only one thing remains certain about his fate, and that is that the person who delivers the kill shot will have to be different from their counterpart in the comics, as that character was never introduced on the TV show.

Everyone from the prison group will have their own personal reasons for killing the Governor (not counting Judith, of course). The least likely would seem to be Carol... which for all we know makes her the prime candidate. Hell, even Milton, now that he seems to be growing at least a fraction of a spine, could be the one. Tyrese and his sister could also be added to the list once they wake the fuck up.

15. Servo

Servo Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The fact that Martinez isn't a deranged psychotic, for a start.

16. wissaboo

wissaboo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The groups long term survival depends on them being in the prison. They barely survived last winter and now they have a baby weighing them down. The prison is essentially a modern day keep. All they have to do is find a save vantage point and shoot to kill when the woodburies show up. Woodbury may out number them, but the vast majority of the population is soft city folk who will be totally out of their element.

17. throwback

throwback Captain Captain

If babies weighed down humans, then our species wouldn't have advanced. For tens of thousands of years, our species was nomadic.

My understanding of the comics is that Rick's people moved up the coast to the environs around Washington, DC. I don't know if they will be doing that in the show. I do know that they are filming the first episodes of the fourth season in Georgia.

Are there advantages in moving to less populated states, where the population wasn't that big to start with, other than the one I enumerated? I am not sure how much of an advantage a group could gain from moving into a heavily populated area. Other the issue of encountering a large number of walkers, they would be fighting with other human groups for increasingly limited resources.

18. TREK_GOD_1

I agree about Daryl rescuing Andrea, but I still feel they will see flames at the prison, assume the worst, and flee for their lives.

I can see Herschel sacrificing himself if he thinks his daughters can be protected in a way he has not been able to since the farm days.

Beth deserves a break; she's always marked as the weak link, but a nice surprise would be her building on the steely, no nonsense way she ended the fight between Glenn & Merle.

She was the one who gave Andrea the plan to kill the governor in bed, so she is hard enough to finish him off. I just hope she does not give up on life after thinking she's helped her friends live for another day.

Tyrese's sister has a couple of choices: in the chaos of the attack, leave with Andrea (assuming she escapes, and does not think she can create a new community), or feel she does not know which side to trust.

Maybe Martinez will return to victimize Andrea, only to run into Daryl, and the little bromance shared two episodes ago will go up in flames for a final showdown.

19. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

Much love for that episode. The only bit that annoyed me is that none of them ever talked about the possibility that the deal was a trap? :wtf:

It was a good way to go out, but I'm sorry to lose Merle. He was so fun to watch. His scenes with Michonne were awesome and I lol'd when the car alarm went off.

The last scene...wow.

Governor biting Merle's fingers off was insane.

I liked Rick owning up to the group, and glad to see he's going to share the burden of command.

I'm glad they fit in the way Glen got the engagement ring.

I really don't want any of the main group to die, but I think Hershel will go.

20. ThunderAeroI

Rick didn't say as much, but when he was talking to Hershal about the trade he made the point of saying that after the trade The Governor would come back and kill them all that is why he said prior to that they were going to War.

In retrospect the entire trade situation seems off like some Katy Perry song. For one moment Rick is hot for War, then cold, then Hot, then Cold. Makes it hard to follow what is really going on with him, he isn't stable but his thought process on this issue isn't clear and I dont think its Rick I think it is the writing of him.