Starfleet females dressing code

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by serenitytrek1, Sep 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rhaven

Rhaven Captain Captain

Indeed.

2. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

They need to bring back the beehives. :(

3. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

For the Klingons? :devil:

4. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

I'm not sure that would work? I'm willing to wait for the first pic though ;)

5. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Okay I want a pic of a Duras sister with a beehive. I think it would make for a nice cleavage compliment.. composition you know.

6. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

Beehive hairdos rock! Especially the piled-up-to-Jesus ones with enough room inside to carry a spare head.

7. t_smitts

t_smitts Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

My guess is the the beehives a show made in the 60's would look seriously out of style in a 21st century production, even if they're set in the same universe (sort of) at roughly the similar time. (Then again, considering how hairstyles have changed from one decade to another in the last 50 years or so, who's to say popular hairstyles in the 2250's wouldn't be different from the styles in the 2260's?)

As for the uniforms, speaking as someone who dearly missed Troi's "skant" uniform (enough that I could overlook lines like "great joy and gratitude"), I'll be the last to complain about the female uniforms in Abrams' Trek, except to say hopefully Uhura won't be the only female crew member next time around. :lol:

8. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

[​IMG]
    Janice Rand was from France.

Morpheus 02 likes this.
  9. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Don't forget, Valkris had a pretty elaborate... hairstyle!

[​IMG]
    Valkris by Therin of Andor, on Flickr

10. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh wow, what do you know? She DOES have hair.

11. LazyReader

LazyReader Lieutenant Red Shirt

It's safe to assume if Starfleet modeled itself off of Roddenberry's time in the Army; thus Starfleet models it's customs on US and Western Navies (per Roddenberry's discretion) various things are clear indicators of US navy customs. A ship whistle, usage of words associated with maritime language and technical specifications (deck, port, starboard, Brig, Mess, etc) It would stand they enact a similar standard of dress. For a time in the late 20th century the US Navy allowed facial hair provided it didn't interfere with hygiene and safety standards. That policy has since been rescinded.

Starfleet uniform code presumably has similar standard for fit and hygiene. With allowances for cultural/religious capacities; per captains discretion. Long hair is seen acceptable on females provided it is either short or tied out of the way. Men within tolerances for 7-8 centimeters of length. Although I find it hard to believe starfleet would discriminate on long hair regardless of gender it's a wishy washy subject, especially to enact a standard on a multi-species organization some of which have NO hair, some of which are furry and some may have spikes, tendrils, appendages, etc. My guess, EASY to maintain. Long hair get's messy! easily and quickly

12. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

All well and good, but you may have overlooked that the most recent response in this thread prior to your own was in 2012. While we don't mind folks waking up topics which have been idle for a little while, it's probably good -- if you're looking at a thread inactive for more than a year or two -- to consider just starting a new thread on the topic, as many of the folks in this one may no longer be active on this board.

Welcome, and -- if you've happened upon a thread by searching on Google or whatnot -- be sure to check your dates first before responding.

Kor and Ovation like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.