World Premiere/Advance screening discussions [SPOILERS GUARANTEED]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by M'Sharak, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Qonos

Qonos Captain Captain

Re: Dark Horizons movie Review it's out.

Seems like Star Trek: The motion Picture all over again.

2. CordrazineOD

CordrazineOD Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

3. yakueb

yakueb Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Ugg. I still have really high hopes, but frankly, it sounds like star trek is just another stupid action movie. I don't care how intense it is, visual effects do not impress me. I want story and drama and humanism.

I am sick of badguys. Lets kill Khan Klones and be done with it.

4. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Except that ST:TMP bored most people, especially non-fans.

5. Qonos

Qonos Captain Captain

Didn't bore me, but I also liked 2001.

6. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

I love "2001." It was quite a bit better received by the larger audience than ST:TMP, though it certainly was not the "feel-good, crowd-pleasing movie" of its year either. :lol:

7. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!

TMP focused on Trek's science fiction at the exclusion of it's fun space adventure... ST09 seems to be doing the opposite.

I am prepared to enjoy both.

8. Data Holmes

Data Holmes Admiral Admiral

How much acid were you on at the time?:lol:

9. Kirk1980

Kirk1980 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's about what I expected.

I expected it to be brainless but I was hoping they'd do that well. Sounds like they have. Disappointing? Yeah. But....nowhere near as bad as I feared. I'll just pretend I'm going to watch something like Transformers and it sounds like I'll be well taken care of in that regard.

10. What's his face

What's his face Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Indeed. Why is it they thought that 10 minutes of shitty, 70's era CGI as the Enterprise is taking sweet ass time entering V'Ger as slow as humanly possible made for a good movie?

11. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I have news for you, STII has several interesting themes, but Khan's character was not "intellectually deep" by any stretch of the imagination. The success of Khan in that movie had a lot to do with Montalban's performance, and not the writing.

RAMA

12. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

Me too.
    Anything that could give us "The City on the Edge of Forever" and "A Piece of the Action" or "Balance of Terror" and "The Trouble with Tribbles" should be able to entertain us on many levels. As I posted above, let's just hope Abrams realizes the range of possibilities, too. I hope he doesn't believe it has to be Star Trek: Full Throttle all the time.

13. Cheebo

Cheebo Captain Captain

Uh they aren't going to abandon this timeline after putting so much work into starting it. Hulk was rebooted again because the first was a box office disappointment. This almost assuredly won't be.

This is the official Trek universe and timeline now, and it will be continued from there. This movie is tracking to be HUGE, they aren't going back to the old rather niche universe.

This is the future of Trek, whether you want it to be or not. It's far too late to go back.

14. yakueb

yakueb Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

You know, as I have gotten older, I have really come to love TMP more than any other Star Trek movie. Out of all of them, it really is the only true sci-fi in the bunch, and there is so much character in it. Spock is especially well played, but McCoy, Kirk, and Decker all fill the screen as real people, and their motivations and insights play an important role in the plot instead of just being window dressings upon it.

Sure, it is slow-paced, but it is also cerebral, filled with insights into humanity and philosophy. A robot that doesn't realize that it is still human? A Machine that thinks it is alive and greater than the gods that created it to the point that it dismisses them outright? A man striving for pure intellectualsim taken to tears by the tragity of life? An aging man struggling with his childish ambition? A young man striving to prove himself?
    Apotheosis of said character?

These are all fantastic elements, and to me, the movie really is dense, but instead of an action sort of way it is in a literary sort of way. It is filled with ideas and ponderings, and it does a perfect job, in my book.

Fans of hard sci-fi movies like, oh, say, the original Solaris can respect a slightly slower-moving plot. It wont keep you attention unless you are willing to think a little, and I think that is what movies in general these days need.

15. urbandk

urbandk Commodore Commodore

KM Klingon ships look like TOS Klingon ships.

16. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

You're kinda right. Actually, folks tend to overrate just how deep any of Trek was. But Khan was supposed to have a superior intellect. That's what I meant. And, he could quote Captain Ahab (and do it in the proper context). Let's see Nero top that. :)

17. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Since the Dark Horizons review has already been linked to (and caused a little consternation) in the No-Spoilers review and discussion thread, in the interest of keeping things tidy, I'm going to merge this thread with the Spoilers review and discussion thread. Stand by...

Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
  18. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)

At the time, that shitty 70's Era CGI, was just about state-of-the-art...

I took both my BF (at the time) and my brother's GF to see it even though neither of them were Trek fans, they both liked it and weren't bored at all.

The build up to finally seeing V'GER, (with Goldsmith's music in the background) was very cool to this 20 year old Trekkie (at the time), even after several viewings.

19. darkwing_duck1

darkwing_duck1 Vice Admiral

It's a "hedged" review. Every good thing he says seems to have an accompanying bad thing also said.

20. darkwing_duck1

darkwing_duck1 Vice Admiral

Would I get flamed by both sides for pointing out that TMP's FX was all model photography (prior to the DE dvd, anyways)?