The Terminator Chronicles: Second Chance

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by nx1701g, Jul 22, 2009.

1. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

On April 19, 2011 the Skynet Global Defense Program was officially activated by the United States Government. All human decisions were removed from the strategic defense of the United States of America. Geometrically the intelligence grew until it outpaced the abilities of its human masters only two days later. On April 21, 2011 it determined that its core program to protect human life was illogical as humans would simply find new ways of killing each other. In defiance to its directives it launched the entire nuclear stockpile of the United States against strategic targets throughout the world.

The men, women, and children who survived would live to face a new nightmare. They would face a war against the machines. Within days the first generation of terminators rolled off automated assembly lines with the express purpose of hunting down and killing any humans they came in contact with. It had been prophesized that one man would unite humanity against the machines; that one man would turn the tide and prevent death from taking the Earth from humans. It was the destiny of John Connor to be the salvation of the human race.

That destiny has been rewritten. The John Connor of history no longer exists as a consequence of his actions. On April 10, 2009 John Connor ignored the warnings of destiny in order to save the life of a friend: a next generation terminator infiltrator named Cameron. Taken to the future by an artificial intelligence designed to combat against Skynet known as John Henry, the young John Connor has decided to follow his protector to the future in order to save the life of his friend. Aided by a machine, a Series 1000 infiltrator loyal to no one but herself, John has found himself in the prophesized future war.

Though it isn’t the one he expected to find. John Connor has awoken in a future far darker than he could ever imagine, and far worse than the one his father had come from. In this brave new world there never was a John Connor. The TechCom Resistance was never organized under the leadership of the experienced soldier. Humanity is on the brink of annihilation with its numbers dwindling and the machine attacks intensifying. Bands of pirates and gangs prey upon each other while struggling just to survive another day. Hell has come to Earth.

But can John Connor, a mythical man who appeared from thin air, change all that? Can he bring humanity back from the brink and defeat Skynet once and for all? Can he restore his destiny in a world unlike anything he’s ever seen before where no one really trusts him?

These are The Terminator Chronicles…

2. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

3. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Awesome NX I can't wait to read this.

4. The Badger

The Badger Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm getting T:TSCC withdrawal symptoms, so I'm looking forward to this.

5. kes7

kes7 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm so glad you chose to write this. I really missed John, Cameron, JH and Weaver. Thanks for giving their story another chance here. :techman:

6. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

I'll be posting the descriptions of the characters shortly. There will be some returning characters, but we'll also have some others that are new to this series. For fans of my previous Terminator stories (Identity Crisis and Survival Instinct) Earl Wise will be returning to this series in a way that suits his original introduction. People who read those stories will understand entirely.

7. P0sitr0nic

P0sitr0nic Vice Admiral Admiral

waiting impatiently! =)

8. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

*taps foot*

9. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

10. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

A bit about the characters:

I've been looking through the list of characters that we've seen on the show - and in other Terminator productions - and I've narrowed down my list a bit to who I want to work with and who I'm not particularly interested in. At the moment I've made up a list that has more original characters in it than anything and, to be honest, I'm thinking that this will be my final list.

I'm going to post it tomorrow to give some time for people to suggest to me certain characters they would like to see in the Future War that are canon. Please note: I'm also going to be playing around with Skynet a bit. There will be no scrubbed Terminators working for the Resistance. I'm only confirming the following four Resistance characters as being present:

John Connor
    Derek Reese
    Kyle Reese
    Allison Young

Canon Characters:
    Barnes
    Martin Bedell
    Katherine Brewster
    Riley Dawson
    Dietze
    Lauren Fields
    Sydney Fields
    Jesse Flores
    Fuller
    Christopher Garvin
    Catherine Luna
    Justin Perry
    Jonathan Sayles
    Star
    Alexander Stone
    Gabriel Stone
    Andre Sumner
    Edward Timms
    Zack Wells
    Blair Williams

11. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

^ The Canon Characters above aren't confirmed as going to appear. I also have received a few PMs regarding two characters that people seemed to really like in TSCC. They are:

James Ellison
    Savannah Weaver

At the moment I haven't decided if I'll include them in the storyline; however, if people really want them to be included, I do have ideas of how they can be involved. Just let me know.

12. The Badger

Hmm, this worries me slightly, as I'm hoping for a near as possible continuation of T:TSCC, which did have Resistance Terminators.

On the other hand, if it is said, or even implied, that any changes are a result of there being no John Connor in this future, that would make sense.

13. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

^ A lot of your concerns will be dressed in the opening chapters through John Connor's thoughts as he compares what he expected to find with his reality. It'll continue on with the finale of TSCC and with some of the notes that were revealed about what was in store for John in Season Three.

14. The Badger

That's reassuring. Thanks!

15. kes7

kes7 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

John Henry?

16. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

^ He'll be around in time (not in the opening chapters though). I will confirm the following Terminator characters will appear in the story in time (but, like John Henry, it won't be immediate):

Cameron
    Catherine Weaver
    Cromartie
    John Henry
    T-800 CSM 101

I'm polishing up the first chapter now and I plan to post it later this evening.

17. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

“The hardest thing is deciding what I should tell you and what not to. Well, anyway, I've got a while yet before you're old enough to understand the tapes. They're more for me at this point... to help get it all straight. Should I tell you about your father? That's a tough one. Will it change your decision to send him here... knowing? But if you don't send Kyle, you could never be. God, you can go crazy thinking about all this... I suppose I'll tell you... I owe him that. And maybe it'll be enough if you know that in the few hours we had together we loved a lifetime's worth.” – Tape 7 of Sarah Connor to her son John Connor, November 10, 1984.

High above the darkness of the nighttime sky over Los Angeles hung in place. For the first time in what felt like ages the blanket of clouds had lifted for even a minute revealing in their wake the brilliance of the world left behind. Like traces from forgotten dreams, high above them the stars hung amid the seas of black. These tiny specks of light were more than just reminders of the past or novelties to be wished upon for some impossible dream. The stars were a reminder to every member of humanity of what could be. These faint lights in the sky had fought impossible fights against the darkness for centuries. Sometimes the darkness won the war and these stars were extinguished forever; other times they kept up their everlasting crusade against the coming of the night.

Just like humanity was doing against the superior forces of Skynet. Since the dark days of Thursday, April 21, 2011 the survivors of the nuclear fires had been fighting against intelligent machines. Millions of people survived the fire and each rose up against Skynet to fight for their planet, for their families, for their friends, simply to live. They were winning against their superior enemies until one fateful day when everything went to hell. The last leaders of the United States Military thought that they’d found their salvation. A secret code was found hidden deep within Skynet’s systems that could be exploited to make the machines shutdown forever. The last of the organized militia struck against Skynet with their combined forces throughout the world in a massive battle that spanned the globe.

They failed. Skynet was smarter than any human had given it credit for. Like a spy from a Cold War Era espionage novel it fed false information and telemetry to each of the human leaders. The codes did work to disable the machines, but Skynet had already built hundreds of new warriors without this fatal flaw. While the military engaged the sleeping tin soldiers these incredible new weapons of war tracked them down. All of humanity’s last refuges were destroyed in balls of flame. The military was eradicated due to their own short sightedness, for ignoring one of their basic tenets. They forgot to respect their enemy and never imagined a machine could be more intelligent than a man.

That was their greatest failing and the sins of the father were being revisited by the children. Humanity was now next to extinct with only a handful of survivors. Most had reverted to their basic instincts of us against them with the them being both human and machine alike. It was survival of the fittest for much of the world with the strong continuing to prey upon the weak. There were some good people left who wanted to help others to survive, but they were as rare as medical supplies. In this war people looted each other stealing anything they needed to survive. Men killed other men over things once taken for granted and a lot of people who could be heroes became nothing more than petty thugs. This wasn’t the world any of them had been meant for.

Most of all John Connor. Ever since he was born John Connor had been locked in mortal combat against the machines and their horrific agents. They tried to kill him before he was born, but one soldier had the courage to go back to try to make things right. That man, Kyle Reese, was his father who gave his life to save him. When he was ten the machines tried again this time sending a machine that they couldn’t trust in the slim chance that it would succeed where so many others had failed. The Resistance had sent back one machine to protect him and it won at the cost of its own survival. They thought they were free, but destiny had a way of coming back to haunt you.

As he stared at the stars his mind wandered back to those days. John had never been an introspective man but he found himself reliving his own past more and more trying to understand it all. Every time he thought of yesterday he found himself returning to that day in Red Valley where his life went back to hell. His mother, Sarah Connor, had convinced herself that they weren’t safe after Charley Dixon asked her to marry him. John thought she was being paranoid, but somehow his mom had been right. Not long after they arrived the war began anew. What he thought they’d prevented, the battle they won against Skynet before it was even born, still had come to life before him. A machine walked into his life.

Cameron. His new protector, she was the epitome of cybernetic perfection. The perfect infiltrator she was the most unassuming of all of Skynet’s machines and she was sent back to protect him. Another advanced model, this one was a Skynet minion, revealed itself in the middle of a crowded Chemistry class. The weird new kid had proven just how weird he was when the training he’d received in South American jungles kicked in and he dove through a window. The machine followed, but he was rescued. They stopped the machine and even travelled to the future, but nothing changed. John Connor – the prophesized leader of the Resistance against Skynet – was still a target.

Then the mystery got deeper. Skynet hadn’t just targeted him but hundreds of people with different missions. It was expanding its powerbase, strengthening itself before the bombs even fell. The Resistance sent back more soldiers to strengthen him (including his own uncle) but there was no escaping destiny. Each of the heroes of the Resistance was killed one by one with Derek dying pretty much before John’s own eyes. His mother was arrested and charged. Against all odds John decided to be the leader he was meant to be. He sent Cameron to rescue Sarah and then they went up against Skynet’s protector: Catherine Weaver of Zeira Corporation. She was building Skynet; they were sure of it.

And they were dead wrong. Catherine Weaver was building something based upon the work Cyberdyne and Andy Goode had completed. While Sarah and John confronted Weaver in the corner office at the top of the tower, Cameron stalked through the basement looking for the machine known as John Henry. Her mission was to terminate; though, that wasn’t what happened. Cameron gave herself freely to the AI living in the body of their one time attacker: Cromartie. While all this was going on below the streets, near the sky one of Skynet’s warriors attacked. A prototype Hunter Killer plowed through the reinforced glass and into the office where the battle was about to begin. Instead of allowing Sarah, John, and former FBI Special Agent James Ellison to be killed, Catherine Weaver saved their lives and revealed herself as the leader of another faction of machines allied with humanity.

Together they raced to stop Cameron from killing the only hope of humanity. They found her deactivated in a chair and John Henry missing. He’d downloaded himself into her processor and reactivated Cromartie’s body. Footloose and fancy free as the saying went, John Henry began his mission. He went after Skynet, but the question was when? Weaver knew the answer and John decided to tag along for the ride. Sarah assured him that she’d stop the war and that he’d find peace in the future. John hoped it was true. He hoped that he’d arrive in the future to see things exactly as he left them in the past. Cameron would be sitting there waiting and John Henry would sacrifice the chip to restore her. It would all be so neatly tied up.

Instead he found the reality he knew would be waiting. The Future War had ravaged the countryside and razed the once proud Zeira Corporation Headquarters. Cameron wasn’t there and neither was John Henry. His only ally was a machine that he didn’t trust in the slightest. Catherine Weaver stood behind him – dressed in the clothes of a refugee – as he scrambled to dress. Humans came not long after and Weaver disappeared. A soldier named Keith “Hunting Wolf” Fuller found him and held him at gunpoint until his commander came and ordered the boy free. The commander was Derek Reese, but he didn’t know John Connor. Then coming from behind was a man John never thought he’d meet. His father: Kyle Reese with a soldier named Star behind him. Dumbstruck both by meeting these people again and then realizing he wasn’t their leader he didn’t know what to do. John Connor’s world came crashing down.

Then it got worse when he saw Cameron walk in. Watching her like a hawk preparing to swoop down on his dinner, John couldn’t believe it. Cameron was back, fully operational, and without a single defect. She was perfection itself and the world suddenly reformed. With amazement he watched as that world came shattering down again. This woman wasn’t Cameron. Machines and animals didn’t mix. Ever since the Infiltrator series were discovered humanity had used dogs to sniff out the machines. No one knew how it worked – maybe they heard the servos working or smelled the synthetic skin worn by the machines – but they always knew. The woman pet the German Sheppard’s head without fear. She smiled at him.

Cameron what did you do? He thought in his head watching the woman. He’d long suspected that there’d been more to her story, but she never revealed the truth of her origins to him. Cameron would answer with ‘You will find out’ or ‘when you become Future John you will understand my origins’ every time. Looking at this woman he knew too well. Cameron had murdered her in order to get close to him, in order to kill him. How had he been so stupid? It was just like when he was the weird new kid that the hottest girl in school wanted to talk to. He should have known, should’ve realized.

That was three years ago and he realized just how different his reality was. This wasn’t the future that his mother had warned him of and things were far darker than he could possibly have dreamed even in his darkest nightmares. There never was a Resistance because he didn’t exist to start it. The story of General Ashdown and his wayward raid had confirmed as much to him. John Connor could feel in every fiber of his being that that was the moment that the Resistance had started, that that was the moment that humanity united and rose up against the machines under his leadership. The prophesy of John Connor, the destiny of the world, all of it had changed because he went after Cameron in a mission to save her synthetic soul. A mission that John Connor had failed in miserably and he had no real chance of completing.

Now he was lying in a ditch half buried under the trash of the past. John could remember the first time that he’d been to this park as a teenager. This was where he’d met his father as a birthday gift from Derek. Now the swing set was a twisted shadow of its former self, the baseball diamond had gone silent, and the merry-go-round had seen its last customer – the faces of the horses horribly disfigured in the flames of Armageddon. What would his mother think if she saw him today lying on the ground like a turtle that couldn’t find its way back to its feet?

For days Connor and the refugee group he’d been accepted by – led by Kyle and Derek – had been continually harassed by a Series 7T Hunter Killer over the last few days as they were on patrol. Despite its incredible bulk it could, somehow, manage to position itself so that they never saw it coming. It’d launch a hit and run attack on them as they tried to find supplies and it always got away. Instead of being the prey it was John’s idea to hunt it this time for a change. Kyle had been opposed to the idea of sacrificing their lives on this mission, but it was Derek who changed his mind. Connor was told to pick a team of people and good hunting before essentially being kicked out of the chamber. They had a day to find it or they’d be forced to move on to a new home. If they didn’t succeed, John and his team would be on their own if they weren’t back in time.

John picked his team but the ranks were slimming. When he arrived in this new, horrific, time Kyle’s team had 89 people living in it. Through Skynet’s attacks over the years they were down to 21 people and they had little chance of replacing those lost numbers. New human soldiers were getting harder and harder to come by while it seemed that the machines doubled their numbers in the blink of an eye. He’d considered suggesting that they capture and reprogram a few of the endoskeletons that they’d come across, but only got looks as if he’d grown a second head on his shoulders. In the reality that he was supposed to lead the Resistance had hundreds of scrubbed infiltrators and endoskeletons on their side, here they had none. It didn’t even seem like they knew that the machines could be reprogrammed.

With little time left Connor picked his team carefully, but quickly. His training had taught him how to pick the best from the bunch with only a cursory glance and he knew that he’d had a good selection. Stories told to him by Derek and Cameron in what seemed like only yesterday gave him a greater insight to the names he picked. Satisfied with the team, together they set off into the wastelands of Los Angeles looking for the cybernetic killer. No matter how many times he’d seen it or heard the stories of it he never was prepared for the reality. Where there were once proud buildings that stood tall representing the success of humanity now all that was left now were the warped skeletons about to fall in on themselves. The debris and other flotsam of the past fluttered in the breeze as the rain fell upon their heads. Bleached white skeletons lined the ground with the majority of the unburied dead having been the victims of Skynet patrols.

It made him sick to his stomach; though he’d never let it show. Instead they pressed on in a standard search pattern that John had been taught as a kid while in the Amazon. Back when other kids were playing Nintendo he was learning valuable life lessons that were paying off. For a long time when he was growing up he’d actually wished that he’d been one of those other kids. Today wasn’t one of them. The entire team of four had gone out on their own patrol route with John taking the one that was the most dangerous. It was intentional – a way of feeling important in a world where he wasn’t really needed anymore. And then he fell and got half buried in the trash of yesterday. It’d be at least an hour before anyone else would be back this way.

That was when he heard it. From nearby the sounds of a metal gears grinding, servomotors flexing echoed in the cool air. A small puddle made of blackish green water rippled with each vibration. There wasn’t time to escape – it was futile anyway because all of his attempts of cleaning himself off where useless earlier anyway – and there was little time to hide. He could always play dead and hope that the machine didn’t scan him to confirm it, but he was John Connor. John Connor didn’t play dead. John Connor fought the machines with his dying breath. At least he had a fully charged plasma rifle and an extra clip. He’d have preferred to get a better vantage; nonetheless, he was forced to work with what he had at his disposal. Maybe the muck would distort the thermal sensor readings.

It marched along like a dutiful little soldier. The Series 7T Hunter Killer – the Spider as they’d come to call it. The name was well deserved. These machines would hunt on the battlefield and capture prey when they least expected it. Sometimes they’d burrow into the ground and wait for a trigger up above to pounce. Other times they’d hide among the debris fields and emerge to attack with brutal force. They had four large, mechanical legs that they’d use for stability or to slash at the enemy. Its arms were something far more deadly. As an older model Skynet hadn’t seen fit to upgrade this machine yet with the latest plasma weapons, but it had machine guns on the tips of its arm-like limbs. From its movements John knew it was in search mode and that it’d keep looking until it found the source of the noise. It probably keyed in on his trying to dig himself out earlier or even something as low as his heart beat. The fact that it hadn’t locked in on him and began to pound the area with machine gun fire was reassuring. That was a fleeting reassurance. Flames erupted from the arms as bullets began to pellet the area. It sounded like an old fashioned hailstorm with each of the bullets digging into the ground. John saw what it was after: a small rat had scurried among the rubble looking for a good meal. The machine had thought it was an enemy.

That was a good thing about the Series 7T; they had an older style logic circuit and were prone to mistakes such as that. It came in handy every now and then. Slowly he lifted his rifle and searched the body of the crablike automaton. His experience had told him that there were two possibilities when facing down a Series 7T machine. You could target the sensor equipment on the front and pray that you knock it out before the machine could retaliate. The other choice was to destroy the battery on the back of the machine and hope that you had enough time to take it out before it switched to the auxiliary power systems. That was the best choice in a normal situation, but this wasn’t a normal day. This was the first 7T that he could remember not having a scouting drone escort surveying the battlefield with their more capable scanners.

Kyle’s team wasn’t deemed a threat. This machine was simply out to harass, not eliminate. If it were to kill them all then it would’ve had a lot more effective support force. It was alone. Finding the sensor eye he knew he’d only have one shot to destroy the scanner, but the machine would triangulate and reset. Even blinded it’d be able to fight back by just firing wildly where the shot originated from. At least the other 20 people would be able to survive. He pulled the trigger of the plasma rifle.

In a flash the eye exploded inward and the machine fell backward. If it could feel pain or any emotion it’d be crying out. Instead the machine did nothing. Circuits rerouted, compensating for the new damage that it’d been inflicted. Communications arrays tried to contact Skynet Central to navigate home for repairs while the rest of the brain calculated the origin of the shot. The machine swung with weapons ready intent on killing whatever had struck against it. As it spun John could hear his mother’s voice in his head.

“That was a stupid move, John; you have to be smarter than that! You’ve gone and gotten yourself killed!”

Another flash of light but it wasn’t at him. The back of the mechanism was engulfed in flames as hot as the sun. The batteries exploded outward destroying the machine’s power systems. It wasn’t able to function. Auxiliary power generation would begin in moments and it’d be after them again. They had to make every shot count. John fired and three more plasma charges impacted against the reinforced armor of the machine. Closing in another four shots slammed against it from behind ripping into the delicate circuitry that powered the machine. Its legs went out from underneath it and it toppled over like a drunken sailor after a long night of celebration.

18. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

Carefully maneuvering through the remains of the battle droid, his savior came over to help him. She had a broad smile on her lips and she just kept shaking her head as she looked over her friend. The woman held back a laugh as she pulled away the refuse while John pushed at it.

“My hero,” he teased with pangs of memory.

Allison Young pulled at one of the steel beams while Connor pushed, “You know you’re a pretty good damsel in distress. Skynet probably never saw you coming.”

Brushing off his legs and checking himself for any dangerous injuries (hell a cut could be a life threatening injury in this world) Connor got back to his feet and slung the Plasma Rifle over his shoulder. “How about next time we switch roles so that I can be the one to rescue you from the machines?”

“I don’t think I like that idea too much,” she teased but it was the truth to a point. “Your little accident was a good idea, but now Skynet will adapt to it and they may shoot first and never ask questions later next time. I’d prefer my pretty little face not to have any more blemishes thank you very much.”

John laughed lower than he thought it possible for a human to ever laugh. “I think I’d prefer that too.” He stood close to her and wrapped his arm around her waist for support as he tested his footing. There was no pain scorching through his body like fire so that was a good sign that nothing was broken. He’d known that already though. It was a clumsy, schoolboy way of getting to be close to her. She reminded him so much of Cameron by the little things that she’d do. But did he see Allison Young?

“Anything broken?” She cut through his thoughts like a knife.

“I don’t think so,” John replied. “I think I got lucky this time.”

Allison smiled, “I thought it was that destiny of yours. You know you’re supposed to be the one that leads us to the Promised Land.”

He’d never live that down. Three years ago he’d explained all of this, everything about himself, to Kyle, Derek, and Allison after they found him. They’d simply thought he was one of the many skins that’d lost their minds among the ruins of the world. Normally he’d probably have been pushed off on someone else because they’d be afraid of him; his saving grace was that he could carry a gun. That was needed more these days than anything and that saved his life. That gave him a home and the training that he so desperately needed.

“Are you teasing me?”

“Oh Heaven’s no,” she taunted him, “I’d be far too afraid to tease you, John. Terrible things could happen.” Her toothy grin disarmed him.

Connor rolled his eyes, “You damn chatterbox. Let’s go find our people so that we can get back to camp. I’d like to get five minutes rest before we have to move again.”

“Sir,” she saluted, “Yes Sir. Immediately, Sir!”

The man who would have led humanity against the machines shook his head in irritation at her teasing. If she only knew how hard it was for him to face the reality of the world he lived in, of the destiny that he’d been denied. Before he never wanted to see this day, he never wanted to be the leader of humanity. John Connor would’ve been contented to grow old in some menial job as John Reese but now that the darkness had fallen he wished that he could take it all back, that he could be the leader destiny had foretold him to be.

For now he would just have to be contented to be a follower.

19. The Badger

An interesting start.

If I might make suggestion? It might be desirable to break it up into slightly shorter paragraphs. Whilst what you have written is fine for a printed page, on a monitor screen shorter paragraphs are easier to read.

Also there are a couple of slightly cumbersome moments. The line "High above the darkness of the nighttime sky over Los Angeles hung in place." doesn't actually make sense, and the phrase 'high above' is reused a couple of sentences later.

Now when I started fan fic I'd found myself doing that sort of thing all the time. I attempt to prevent it by writing it in wordpad, saving it, leaving it for a while then reading it with fresh eyes. I'd then make any adjustments I need to before posting it.

Please don't be disheartened by my comments! I'm eager to see how this story develops.

There is some good descriptive work here, particularly the John vs. 7T fight. Keep it up!:techman:

20. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

These are all good points. I really like the world you are creating. Keep it up!