I don't think Voyager gets the right credit

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Oynaq, Nov 10, 2013.

?

Other than the original which is the best Star Trek?

1. Next Generation

7 vote(s)
    16.3%
  2. Deep Space Nine

19 vote(s)
    44.2%
  3. Voyager

15 vote(s)
    34.9%
  4. Enterprise

2 vote(s)
    4.7%
  5. They did not let Enterprise develope Enough?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Pavonis

Pavonis Commodore Commodore

Before most of us? You don't know how old most of us are! There are some real old-timers here, older than you, even.

2. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Is it bad Melakon I was thinking when I read this post, I was gonna reply yelling for you to educate that youngin about oldschool Trek? ;)

But you beat me to it. :)

3. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

You should see how dangerous I am with my cane when I really lose my temper. :shifty:

4. R. Star

Hey... Clint Eastwood pulled off sounding threatening yelling "Get off my lawn!" in that Gran Torino movie. :)

5. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I will defend V to the DEATH!!

(with my cane)

6. Melakon

No, no, no. You have to do it like the Three Stooges. Example:

Moe: They can't treat us like that! I'll fight them to the last drop of. . .(points at Curly). . .your blood!

7. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

My rankings:

TNG
    DS9
    Voyager
    Star Trek
    Enterprise

I like the top three more than I like the bottom two, even though the bottom two do have moments, and I respect Star Trek.

8. Oynaq

Oynaq Ensign Newbie

LOL, you people are killing me. So I got hold of really "mature" people. I guess that I am the young one in the crowd.

I thank you, I was going to paste a thought on Star Trek and the "Big Bang Theory" tomorrow. But I guess that would be wasted here.

Ya'll take it easy,

Oy

9. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Um, sorry we didn't meet your preconceived expectations?

10. teacake

What are you annoyed about?

You were welcomed to the site and everyone talked about your thread topic, Voyager etc.. We are all ages here from early 20's to 60's. Most of us have seen most of Trek and age doesn't have much to do with it other than giving people specific stories about what they saw in the cinema.

You should stay and chat. We like new people and new thread starters :)

11. Melakon

I think "Big Bang Theory" sometimes enters discussions around here, and some of the other sub-forums as well. I'm not qualified to discuss it though.

12. teacake

Neither am I, I am fail. I'm sure we have at least one resident who has watched all of it though.

13. Melakon

Voyager forum does sometimes turn into the Mad Tea Party of TrekBBS.

14. teacake

Even if the OP doesn't come back, which would be a shame, we will always have his poll.

Vote! Twice!

And yeah I could say VOY doesn't get enough credit but I know the truth. Enterprise saved VOY from being the ugly sister of Star Trek. Far more vitriol aimed there, also unwarranted. But don't worry ENT I'm sure JJ will turn that around for you!

15. Jeri

Jeri Vice Admiral Admiral

Oynaq, you're asking this question on the wrong website; the TrekBBS was founded by and continues to be populated in large part by Niners. I will be super pleased if one day Voyager gets the credit it's due here. TOS is always my sentimental favorite; it's part of me. But VOY is my favorite modern Trek.

16. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

If you want an answer for flat-out "best", I wouldn't be able to choose. However VOY is the most special series to me since it was my first Trek series and the one I also tend to re-watch and read the novels for the most. I know VOY as a kind of old friend better than I know any other series. :lol: I love it. But I cannot choose a "best". They are all great.

17. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

I didn't really get the sense that TNG and DSN were building up to an apex of any kind. Nor in my opinion was VOY the apex of ST as a whole, if anything DSN was apex of Star Trek.

So out of curisoity what apex are you referring to?

But one of the critisims levelled at both VOY and ENT is that they failed to live up their premise. S4 of ENT is generally regarded as one if it's best season, it was also the closest in terms of narrative to it's premise or it's percieved premise the creation of the Federation.

VOY's premises as sold was a ship on it's in own with limited resources, what some felt they got was TNG-lite (aka TNG 2.0). Any limitations the writers put on themsevles were more often or not queitly dropped and forgotten about. To me that shows a lack of respect for your audiance, now of course VOY isn't the only show guilty of that.

Now of course we all have our likes and dislikes, and the order in which we watched then ST shows can affected how we percieve them. For example if VOY is someones introduction to trek they might find it new, but for some of the older fans they might find it dull and repetative (i.e you've used that plot before several times in TOS and TNG, and done it better).

Each of the ST shows has its good points and it's bad points.

18. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    This movie has a few good lines and we get to see a bit more of McCoy's backstory, but otherwise it's crap.

It's also the only ST movie I ever considered walking out of the theatre over, as I found it that bad.

19. teacake

I love that movie.

Have I said so in this thread already? Probably :lol:

20. R. Star

Yes... you have. Other threads too. You also have a quote from that movie in your signature. All you need to do is change your avatar to Sybok with Janeway's head to complete the picture. ;)