So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^Like I said, you either love Black Fire or you loathe it. It's kind of like Silver Age DC comics -- you can either be aghast at the total insanity and nonsense of it all, or be delighted by how entertainingly ludicrous and over-the-top it is.

2. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

I've seen crazier stories in the pocket universe but I just can't get past the dialogue. I can't put it into words. Its like you know professional writing when you see it and you know what it looks like if your typical BBSer were to take a shot at a novel. Its like that. Only way I know how to describe it.

3. wahwahkits

wahwahkits Commander Red Shirt

England, somewhere between Liverpool and Chester
    Just finished 'Q in Law' by Peter David. A very enjoyable read but a bit light on plot. 3.5/5

Next up is a re-read of 'Rough Beasts of Empire'

4. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Prisoner Of The Daleks by Trevor Baxendale - now one of only a handful of nu Who books I've read, and so far easily the best. The Daleks are great, the Doctor is suitably Ten-ish, and it all rattles along nicely. It's a bit weird at first that they use that font from the 60s comics for Dalek dialogue, but it works sufficiently well that the one line from Dalek X that's accidentally printed in the regular typeface really stands out.

So, overall, great fun!

5. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm reading Paths of Disharmony (even though I've already read the TP books that come after it) and its a struggle. I already know whats going to happen, but I didn't know that
    the Andorians were going to be such idiots about it. Extinction is never a better choice, no matter how crazy you are.
    I'll finish it, but its not very good. Also, the font seems about one size too small, but thats not an issue when it comes to why I don't like the book.

After this, its on to Devil's Bargain, then To Reign in Hell.

6. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

Just started Pathways by Jeri Taylor. I've been looking forward to this book for awhile.

7. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hmmm. I've been tempted to pick up American Nations, but I respect your opinion enough that this is making me re-consider that... Plus, I suspect it might be a nice complement to my having just seen Django Unchained last night, so issues of race relations are on my mind. ;)

Still have the last third of Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy before I need to make that decision!

8. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I started reading Starfleet year one by Micheal Jan Friedman.I certainly like the story starting near the end of the Romulan war. It's the first chapter in this novel.I've really enjoyed reading this book so far.The rivilary between the military men and Scientist when it comes to making changes to the technology of the first Daedalus ship. And who will command the first ship in the newly formed Starfleet and the beginning of the Federation of planets coming together to hanner out it's charter of rights for all Fedreation citizens.

9. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

It's funny you mention the LeCarre novels - those are next on my list after I finish the Vorkosigan series :)

10. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Awesome! I'd recommend starting with The Spy Who Came in From the Cold. It's so good!

11. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Just picked up Leverage: The Zoo Job by Keith DeCandido. Haven't had a chance to start it yet.

12. TJ Sinclair

TJ Sinclair Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^Huzzah for Leverage novels. I hope the line can continue even though the show isn't... :(

Right now, I'm about 2/3 through Precipice. Should have it done in the next day or so. After that, I'm not sure what I'm gonna read next. The new Timothy Zahn Star Wars novel, Allegiance in Exile, or Dan Abnett's Doctor Who novel.

13. Gul Re'jal

Gul Re'jal Commodore Commodore

Gul Re'jal is suspecting she's on the wrong space
    I started "Balance of Nature" by Heather Jarman today. And after I finish, I'll return to "Slings and Arrows" (I've read only Book 1 so far).

14. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

Hearken to the lessons contained therein, and give heed unto them; thy comprehension of the Nasat shall be strong. ;)

(I wish Jarman would return to Trek; she was excellent at world-building. "Balance of Nature" is one of my favourite SCE stories)

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  15. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I started reading Star Trek The Idic Epidemic by Jean Lorrah.

16. Sakrysta

Sakrysta Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm slowly making my way through Persistence of Memory. I'm enjoying it, just not finding a whole lot of reading time lately. I just hit the "gulp moment" and I have to say, I didn't see that coming!

17. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

Reading The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger, by Stephen King.

18. Gul Re'jal

Gul Re'jal Commodore Commodore

Gul Re'jal is suspecting she's on the wrong space
    I have studied the data. I'm ready for the exam, Shell... um, Sir.

I liked the book very much. Not only the story was very interesting and the Nasat world and culture interesting, but there was something very personal for me in P8 Blue :)

19. Endgame

Endgame Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I finished "The Joy Machine" by James Gunn and it was much better than I expected as my memory of "Once Upon a Planet" (TAS) interfered a bit. Science fiction is mentioned in the book on page 62. No future for science fiction but rather science reality?

That person with the Brazilian flag may wish to know I read "Pedagogy of the Oppressed" (translated by Ramos) by Paulo Freire (30th anniversary edition) and found it very good for a treatise on Marxist revolutionary education.

I am finishing watching Deep Space Nine season five for the first time. Just started reading the series too. Did "Emissary" (DS9 #1) and "The Siege" (DS9 #2) and am currently reading "Bloodletter" (DS9 #3). All quite good.

20. sportzkid

sportzkid Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I am currently reading Typhon Pact: Brinkmanship, and really quite enjoying it so far with about 130 pages into it.