StarFleet Officers that are A..h...s

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by KaineMorrison, Jul 10, 2014.

1. Joel_Kirk

Joel_Kirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the Joel Zone, identifying as Sexually Fluid.
    However, it was - at the time - his ship, the same way another Admiral - James T. Kirk - got the Enterprise from another Captain (William Decker) and changed things to his own specifications.

Each commander is different.

I'm sure if Sisko took command of the Enterprise or Admiral Janeway took command, things would be set a certain way until the crew became familiar with one another.

Interestingly, in Season 1 Picard was a bit of an ass anyway, and not just certain episodes. He changed into speechPicard - albeit still self-righteous - in later seasons, then actionPicard in the movies.

2. Kevman7987

Kevman7987 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Are we sure people don't not like Jellico because he was portrayed by Ronny Cox? A man who plays an ass in a position of authority extremely well?

3. trekshark

trekshark Captain Captain

I agree about not having time. He was assigned command of a ship that might very well be on the front line of a new shooting war with little or no support in just a few days. He needed results immediately.
    Maybe he could have handled a few things differently but the time and pressure constraints were enormous

4. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

I've seen managers come in and first thing start to change everything.

5. Armored Saint

Armored Saint Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Admiral Erik Pressman, he sacrificed most of his crew when he was Captain to pursue his illegal miltary fanatic agenda.

6. Makarov

Makarov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't agree that Jellico was an efficient captain, maybe in other situations but definitely not in Chain of Command. He was unable to avoid conflicts that led to him relieving his own first officer, even though Troi had already warned him. Then after that, he asks everyone on the ship to fly the shuttle before he asks the best man. That's not very efficient.

7. Armored Saint

Armored Saint Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

He was just unlucky the best pilot on this ship was also the XO. :p There was also in the balance the loyalty and the friendship the other skilled pilots had toward Riker. Geordi would have also done a perfect job, but he did another great job by fighting the polarisation between Riker and Jellico.

Lieutenant Commander Christopher Hobson was definetely an asshole. Of course, he finally learned to respect Data and was concerned about his crewmates, but his conception of "that race souldn't do this job" has a name: RACISM.

That dear Dexter Remmick was also an asshole. No matter if he was already controlled by the parasite, he abused his position during his investigation on the Enterprise.

8. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

One of his comments was about how a Klingon wouldn't work as a ship's counselor. I'd love to see that in action. :lol:

9. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Worf: "You have achieved ten centimeters, you may now give birth."

:)

10. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

I think that was a respect/fear response. Human women in labor are scarier than any Klingon, and could probably kill a Klingon if provoked. At least that seems to be Worf's impression.

11. Marsden

Marsden Commodore Commodore

My pick for the thread is Cmdr. William Riker

When his old man is replaced by a new captain, he whines and is obstinate. He gets himself relieved, instead of stepping up and helping the crew. Even if the new boss was Dick Jones.

Or maybe it wasn't missing the old man, but that he didn't take over himself, even though he was given multiple opportunities to be in command himself. The writers didn't want "us" to side against these decisions, though, so they helpfully killed off all three previously offered ships. :rommie:

12. Makarov

Makarov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

To be fair Riker was just trying to save Picard which is why Jellico got pissed off. Imagine if Kirk was in Riker's position, there's no way he would follow a superior officer's order to let a friend die...

13. Chairslinger

Chairslinger Ensign Newbie

If I recall, the Titan novels introduce a Tellerite counselor where the sessions are basically the patient and doctor arguing with one another :lol:

Anyway, I also think that they took the "evolved human" ideal to the point of obnoxiousness in s1 of TNG. Culminating in The Neutral Zone.

They rectified this more than once in later episodes like Family and Lily's speech to Picard in First Contact. I think they got a grasp on what it means to better mankind without completely taking the humanity out of it.

I am on the fence about Jellico. I also lean towards him simply being a hardass. And since he is the captain, the crew should have to mold themselves to his style rather than the other way around.

However, other captains in the series are shown to have flaws. And I consider Jellico's treatment of Riker to be the same. He was uncompromising to the point of hurting his command. He was a good captain, but he wasn't perfect.

His treatment as an admiral in some of Star Trek lit later on makes him a much more relatable character without taking much of his edge off imho.

14. jimbotron

I don't mind the hardass characters (Jellico, Nechayev) who show that they're not one-dimensional characters. Even Pressman showed some nuance, which I attribute on the actor's performance. Poorly written one-note guys like the admiral in Ensign Ro on the other hand, I'd wish characters like those were fleshed out more, because I can't take those flat characters seriously.

15. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Galileo Seven.

:)

16. Marsden

Marsden Commodore Commodore

Comming soon, R. Lee Emery as the new ships counselor, Korrahh! :klingon:

First, I can't imagine Kirk letting himself get into that position.

And back to what I was saying regarding Jellico, lets take it a step further. Riker couldn't cut it as XO, Data could. Is Data a mindless automaton that just follows orders? Then how was he able to adjust to Jellico and succed when Riker couldn't? I really think Data should have keep the XO position because of this, but that would have upset the formula.

17. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You. felt that way, but neither you, nor any of us know what 100% of his requirements were. In fact, I'd suggest that he knew exactly how he needed to do this, and probably put it to his superiors before even taking the assignment. He knew Riker's entire record. He knew the ship layout to the point of knowing exactly where is quarters were, by just hearing it. He knew the bloody warp coil efficiency specifications. He was prepared to a tee. It was the 1701-D crew who weren't. They got caught off guard. I submit that it was probably a foregone conclusion that they would be unavoidably caught off guard. So he had to factor that into how he handled this post. He was never going to be able to do this without being a jerk & he knew it, before he even stepped aboard. Just replacing the beloved Picard made him unwanted.

He had relieved the man of duty, and correctly so. It undermines his authority to go begging after that. So he had an obligation to consider every option first, & then when time was up & it became obvious who the best man was. He put his authority aside & took one in the chin to get Riker in the pilot seat, & Riker gloated like an infantile pig. It's his worst moment of poor behavior in the character's existence. Jellico was given an impossible job that no one actually thought could be pulled off without going to war, least of all himself, & he did it, in spite of some of the crew's expected backlash. If you ask me, he skated masterfully between a ship that didn't want him & a war no one could stop. Riker couldn't have done that in a million years

As for some suggestions for the thread, my votes go to Kozinsky the clueless douche & Hobson the android bigot

18. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

I'd so watch that!

19. jimbotron

Chief Logan is definitely the biggest a-hole. He complains when the Enterprise won't leave orbit, and then he guilt-trips Geordi when the Enterprise does leave orbit. I wish he got a comeuppance aside from having his ego deflated. Maybe a scene where he has the saucer make a few wrong turns and gets lost. :lol:

20. jimbotron

A Geico commercial already made a joke out of that.