DS9 on blu ray?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by borgboy, Nov 28, 2013.

1. Laserschwert

Laserschwert Cadet Newbie

Pretty much, yes.

2. LtChange

LtChange Captain Captain

I think this year we will have an answer for the question if CBS will continue with HD remastering all of Star Trek (so DS9 and VOY), but they have said they are doing this project for future proof the series for the HD era and for TV resale value ... So I see a real good chance that they will do DS9 and VOY, the question remains how big the investment will be ... I hope they will respect the two remaining show the way they did with TOS and TNG as well ...

3. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I have to say the wait to find out of DS9 is a getting the HD treatment is starting to get to me. I want to know!

4. RodrigoBrowncoat

RodrigoBrowncoat Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Yes, please. I would love to see my favorite ST series in Full HD.

5. Start Wreck

Start Wreck Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

6. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

Looks fantastic.

7. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

Cool! I don't think DS9 would be that "difficult" to remaster. The CGI was more the exception than the rule.

8. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Tried to photoshop the camera movement into one shot. Sorry for stretching the page, but this has to be seen in all it's glory.

I'm SO looking forward to the whole thing. I hope the whole series arrives on Blu-ray soon. The station is just one of the most beautiful, visually interesting things ever designed for television.

[​IMG]

9. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Nice! I'm sure we'll be able to get some even better shots when we have access to the actual discs instead of a compressed Youtube video.

10. Hober Mallow

Well, even in the early seasons there are Odo's transformations, to say nothing of the wormhole FX, which is so iconic to DS9 they're going to have to get it just right. Later seasons used a lot more CGI, but even then they continued using the stock model shots.

11. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

True, the wormhole effect was done by "Rhythm & Hues" (who also did the Klingon Encounter ride at STTE), who went bankrupt last year.

Fortunately, the studio took ownership of the Klingon BOP model created for STTE, so there's hope they did the same for the wormhole effect, so they have it on a disk somewhere.

But, even if they lost the model, having to recreate the wormhole would likely be a lot easier that the first time around (~14 weeks) due to both advances in technology and having the completed footage to work off of. Also, the wormhole itself, once they create it they can reuse it throughout the series so, while the initial creation may be painstaking, it will be used repeatedly, which makes it much easier to justify financially.

12. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Commodore Commodore

New desktop background! :D

13. MakeshiftPython

MakeshiftPython Commodore Commodore

I gotta say, it really looks like I'm seeing DS9 for the very first time with that screenshot. Just the level of detail and the color. Just compare that to this original SD screenshot and there's a world of difference.

[​IMG]

14. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

model shot?

15. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

99.9% of all shots of starbase Deep Space Nine was model work.

16. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm sure there's got to be more 9s on that, seeing as how there was exactly one CGI shot of it in the series... :)

17. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Hmm. Learned something new. Cool! It's a beautiful model.

18. Michael

Here, I did one of those screenshot comparison thingies. Look at all the glorious detail! :drool:

Something weird I noticed while doing this, though: (1.) I had to strech the original image quite a bit horizontally to make it fit the remastered one, (2.) they reversed the shot for the trailer and (3.) there's apparently an error, because in the original the nacelle cap on the right is behind the docking pylon. In the remastered shot it's placed in front of it! Or am I seeing it wrong?

Glad to be of service! :D

19. Hober Mallow

The first shot is so blurry, but I think even there the nacelle is in foreground.

20. Michael

Hm, maybe you are right. To me it looks like it's behind it. Here's the shot in motion.