Game of Thrones 3.10 - "Mhysa" - Rate and discuss

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Out Of My Vulcan Mind, Jun 9, 2013.

?

Grading

1. Excellent

40.9%
  2. Above average

38.6%
  3. Average

18.2%
  4. Below average

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Poor

2.3%
  1. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

How did Sam get Bran to the wall, then get back to Castle Black before John? The episode was good but it felt rushed. Were they just getting everything aligned with the book to complete the season?
    Me too, It's funny hearing someone else say that.

2. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

White people have abolished the slavery of other races plenty of times. What's the issue?

3. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

?

They met at the Wall. Sam just showed them the passage that let them get through the Wall. He then had a straight shot to Castle Black courtesy of the path he told them about.

4. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

This was a weaker season finale compared to the first two.

The Tywin, Tyrion and Joffrey scenes were great as always. I'm really liking Davos and the actor that plays him in the show, but show Stannis is really different from book Stannis. It was cool seeing Arya take some measure of revenge against the Frey man. I was rolling my eyes a bit at the final scene, Dany crowd surfing looked so ridiculous.

This season's pacing obviously suffered since they decided to do only the first half of ASOS, hopefully the next season will be much more kickass.

Also this picture perfectly describes the Stannis/Davos/Melisandre relationship. :adore:

[​IMG]

5. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

^^ Gratuitous animation! ;)

6. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Very enjoyable episode but not a strong finale and the final scene was rather weak (especially compared to the previous two). However, after reading this io9 article about drawing power from family as seen throughout this episode, I have to say I like this episode a lot more in retrospect and will probably enjoy it more the next time I watch it.

I noticed that aspect during the episode. :lol:

7. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

I haven't read the books yet but what's so different about Stannis than his TV counterpart? (without ruining/spoiling it)

Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
  8. Rowan Sjet

Rowan Sjet Commodore Commodore

He's a lot less deferential to Melissandre and the Red God. It takes more to convince him that he needs to sacrifice the book equivalent of Gendry and it's also his decision to go North rather than waiting for Mel's go-ahead, and for slightly different, more interesting reasons.

9. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Made him more devious/scheming/egotistical in the show. In the books, he's more of an honorbound stick in the mud. Fighting for the crown because it's supposed to be his, not just out of ego.

Very literal and strict-minded. For example, the Onion Knight's backstory. He gained knighthood from Stannis for smuggling in onions to save the island, but at the very same time, Stannis cut off the last digit on each finger on his left hand for smuggling. Not very, uh, flexible in how black and white his worldview is...

10. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

The baffling thing about the show's approach to Stannis is that they sometimes throw in book dialogue that reflects the original conception of the character, even though it makes no sense. The Davos backstory is given in one of the season two episodes, for example, despite the logic behind it being alien to TV Stannis.

What interests me about the book character is the uncertain extent to which his rhetoric about honor and justice conceals a sulky bitterness about not being more popular and admired-- "I always do the right thing, and no one appreciates it"-- that has the potential to turn dangerously sour. In the books, for example, his debate over sacrificing the equivalent of Gendry is colored by the fact that that character is Robert's bastard by Stannis' wife's cousin, conceived in Stannis' own bed, on Stannis' own wedding night. So the boy is a reminder of Robert's self-indulgence (counter to Stannis' own anhedonic puritanism) and the insult to Stannis' honor, and it's an open question whether that, as much as the issue of the greater good, is in Stannis' thoughts as he contemplates the sacrifice. I find that genuine ambiguity a lot more interesting than making him another ruthless schemer in a show that isn't short of them.

11. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Stannis isn't all that about Honor, though. He's about Duty and obeying the Law and all that stuff.

The Whole Davos/Melisandre thing with them being the "Angel/Devil" thing was brought up before too. The show eve did that too, with Davos almost always being on Stannis' right side and Melisandre being on his left (the traditional place of the Angel and the Devil).

As for Daenerys, she's been pulling the whole "Mighty Whitey" thing since Season 1 when she was the Mother of the Prophesied Dothraki Messiah.

12. Emher

Emher Admiral Admiral

My favorite "couple". Rory McCann is so damned good as The Hound. I loved that after Aria killed the guy and he dispatched of the others, he just sat down and starting eating their food! :lol:

13. The Nth Doctor

That and his genuine shock that Arya managed to grab his dagger without him noticing. :lol:

14. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

^^^ Yes, I definitely think Clegane is starting to develop a new appreciation for the little she-wolf, bordering on astonishment and possible trepidation. His befuddled reaction to her deadpan delivery about how she was going to stab him in the eye and have it come out the other side of his head was priceless. I think he now genuinely believes she could do it.

Either way, she's definitely getting into his head, between the knowledge of his fear of fire and what his brother did to him as a child. There wasn't an ounce of smugness on his face when she confronts him. Priceless...

15. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Even then he had a look that was kind of like "Oh, you little scamp... ". Even his "Next time you kill someone tell me first.".

16. InklingStar

InklingStar Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

How about a spinoff series? "The Wolf and the Hound." He is a scarred killer. She is a wronged little girl. Together, they travel the riverlands, setting right what was wrong.

17. The Nth Doctor

...by killing all men.

Yeah, I would watch that.

18. DalekJim

Does it? Melisandre is trying to save Westeros from the real threat beyond The Wall, while most characters argue over who gets to sit on a damn chair. Hardly evil. If anything, the picture severely dumbs down the actual motivations of the characters ;).

19. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

It's more the fact that Davos and Mel are always sitting on Stannis' shoulder telling him what to do. Show Stannis really isn't his own man, hopefully that changes next season.

20. DalekJim

Damn straight. Stannis is one of the most stubborn mother fuckers in the books. Can't believe the show has got so many characters right yet messed up one of the absolute best.

Melisandre and Davos are perfectly cast and written for. Wish I could say the same for Stan The Man.