STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 18, 2013.

?

Grade the movie...

1. A+

18.8%
  2. A

20.6%
  3. A-

13.2%
  4. B+

11.1%
  5. B

7.9%
  6. B-

4.1%
  7. C+

5.7%
  8. C

5.0%
  9. C-

3.5%
  10. D+

1.5%
  11. D

1.6%
  12. D-

1.3%
  13. F

5.7%
  1. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes. It's red, and Spock Prime keeps his on his desk under a crystal dome. However, it doesn't go, beep, beep, beep, as it flashes when Spock calls, it does the Nokia ring tone.

2. mattman8907

mattman8907 Commodore Commodore

i wonder why lines like "You think you world is safe? It is an illusion. A comforting lie told to protect you. Enjoy these final moments of peace. For I have returned to have my vengeance. "Your are a pawn, Kirk," "Your commanders have committed a crime I cannot forgive." "Darkness is coming" were cut from the movie. bascially quotes from trailers.

3. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Another thought: About JJAbrams Enterpise interiors..I think it's firmly established now that unlike previous Star Treks, the ships are basically open caverns, super spacious with many areas absent of rooms. I absolutely LOVE this! There's really a conveyance of scale with such scenes, especially in ones where they are running from place to place or the ship is minus gravity. In ST09 they did it in a limited way, showing scenes of the infamous brewery, but STID upped it several levels, and looked better.

4. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

It should be green!

5. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)
    Makes one wonder just how cavernous the spaces on the Vengeance must be...

And since it needs minimal crew... Why ?

6. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

I do love that they kept they "surgery on a torpedo" idea from TUC at least twice.

7. Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit Commodore Commodore

Even though it seems like the new crew should maybe stand on their own in this movie, doesn't it almost make sense that they should be exploiting old Spock for everything he knows about everything? I mean, I'd be on that Spock Phone EVERY DAY.

Well, I've got my tickets and am going with the wife and friends tonight. I'm very excited, but am going to try hard not to be too nitpicky. It's weird, I'm not really that nitpicky about any other fiction I watch, but there's just something about Star Trek that brings out this really nerdy part of me. I'm not sure why that is exactly.

8. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

It's a Good/Bad Thing...

Keeps us Genuine Trek Nerds. ;)

9. BillJ

It really is a great movie, in my opinion.

10. Ryan8bit

I dunno, I don't think I want to be that anymore. I mean, if I don't pick the hell out of something like The Walking Dead (which believe me, that show is infinitely pickable), why should I be so anal about Star Trek? Maybe it's because I've just stuck with it for so long, know way more about it than any person really should, and just have a lot invested. I kinda wanna let go and just be able to enjoy these movies in the same way that I enjoy Star Wars.

11. ConRefit79

ConRefit79 Captain Captain

What finally convinced Paramount to throw so much money at a Star Trek movie anyway? They've always been so tight fisted before.

12. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Im forcing myself not to go again today. My wife rarely watches a movie twice and she said she wouldn't mind seeing it again. Going again with some family on Sunday. Can't wait for my nephew (a big SW fan) to see it.

RAMA

13. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

Great work on that avatar, Ryan8bit.

I think part of the fun of a Trek movie has become picking it apart. I don't know if that's sad or not, but it just is. Long-time fans become invested in it with the same irrational emotional attachments and feelings of ownership that long-time fans of sports franchises do.

It just occurred to me that if I do really like this movie, it will be the first time I've ever really liked consecutive "Star Trek" movies.

14. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

That's easy...

J. J. Abrams.

15. Xaios

Xaios Commander Red Shirt

Heh, I never actually made that connection. Good spot! :techman:

16. BillJ

The need for a big Summer blockbuster.

17. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

Once JJ signed on... the budget was pretty much guaranteed to be in the 'Summer Block Buster' range.

18. ConRefit79

ConRefit79 Captain Captain

I get that. But they've never been convinced before that a Star Trek movie could deliver that. After ST:TVH, the most successful film to that point, they still did not allocate much money for the next film.

19. Ryan8bit

Do you actually understand what's going on there? At first it was just a white Montalban Khan (the antithesis of Salvor Hardin's avatar), but over the past couple weeks it's been undergoing a gradual metamorphosis...

I hear what you're saying about the nitpicking, but like part of me thinks that sometimes that it goes overboard and actually affects how I feel about the movie. Take Nemesis for example. When I left the theater I felt moderately entertained (although somewhat uneasy), but then the fridge logic settled in and I decided that I really didn't like the movie at all anymore.

Anyways, I'm hoping to have fun tonight. I told my wife that whenever a Star Trek movie comes out I can't seem to focus on much else. Dang it, that's so true.

20. BillJ

I think they were simply happy with a moderate guaranteed return on investment. There was no risk involved.