Help with my pissing cat!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by sbk1234, Mar 2, 2013.

1. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm not kidding. My idiot cat keeps pissing on either the couch, the laundry basket, or my pants that I leave on the couch at night. Mind you, this all happens about 10 feet away from the litter box! We have two other cats who use the box religously. One even uses the toilet.

So, real, helpful ideas, please.

2. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

1) If you have 3 cats, you should definitely have more than one litter box. Do you want to use a toilet that is already full of someone else's poop? Neither does a cat.

2) Your cat is not an idiot. It's probably doing it on purpose because it's upset about something. Has anything in its routine changed recently? I started buying different food for my cat a few years ago, and she started peeing on everything. I started buying her old food again, and she immediately stopped peeing on stuff.

3) If your cat isn't doing on purpose, it might be legitimately sick.

Also, cats like to pee in places they've peed before, and even if you wash your clothes/sheets/whatever, your cat can still smell it, even if you can't. There are pheromones in cat pee that will not come out with traditional detergents.

3. Gul Re'jal

Gul Re'jal Commodore Commodore

Gul Re'jal is suspecting she's on the wrong space
    I have two cats and three litter boxes. I second RoJo's suggestion to get at least one more box, if you have only one.

One of my cats tended to pee in wrong places because she hated the litter (I used pellets and as it later turned out, she prefers sand-like clay). Maybe that's an option worth checking.

Buy special liquid for removing cat pee (should be in your pet shop). Even if you think there's no smell left, your cat could detect and pee smell means "here's my toilet". Those washing liquids break down the substances of the pee on the chemical level, completely removing the smell even for the cat.

If you cat has problem with urinary tract and feels pain when peeing, he/she tries to avoid the place where it hurts = the litter box, because he/she associates the pain with the box. You may want to take a sample of the cat's urine and test it at the vet.

4. ManOnTheWave

ManOnTheWave Vice Admiral Admiral

The only time any of my kitties ever peed in the wrong place, it was due to illness, usually either a kidney or urinary tract infection.

5. sbk1234

Thanks for the feedback. these are very reasonable ideas, and I'll start trying these right away.

6. _C_

_C_ Commander Red Shirt

I second what everybody else said, and I want to add that maybe you should put your pants somewhere else.

Is your cat male and spraying? (I'm assuming the kitty is already spayed or neutered). Sometimes boy cats will just do that because they're buttholes and they don't remember that their balls are gone. :P

7. Mary Ann

Mary Ann Knitting is honourable Admiral

Another vote for having your cat checked out for a UTI or another type of illness/infection. One of our cats had issues with peeing in all the wrong places for several months on and off after we adopted her, and it turned out she was plagued with UTIs. Thankfully those cleared up over the years, and now it's rare for her to go anywhere other than her box.

8. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Is one of these cats a lot newer in the household? When I got my third cat there was a pissing war over territory, literally. And my cats go outside freely! But darn it, the alphas had to piss in corners and on top of stuff because they needed to make cat number 3 understand that this place was theirs. This eventually stopped.

9. Captain_Nick

Captain_Nick Vice Admiral Admiral

Next time you see the cat taking a leak on your carpet, whip out your dong and urinate on him. It won't fix the problem, but it'll feel fantastic.

10. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

Agree, that is the only time two different cats ever did this was due to UT infection.

11. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Insert "piss-poor advice" joke here...

(This thread reminds me never to get a cat.)

12. Kitty Worrier

Kitty Worrier Vice Admiral Admiral

If your cat is peeing on rugs or bathroom mats, you could also replace those with rugs/mats without a rubber bottom. We had a cat that peed on the bathroom mats all the time because of the rubber smell was associated with urin. We swapped to mats with cloth and the peeing stopped immediately.

Other cat develops crystals in her blatter, so she'd pee anywhere but the box, because she'd associated it with pain. Have to buy her special food to keep her PH balanced, but it's worth it.

13. sbk1234

Actually, the pisser, Merlin, arrived at the same time as his brother, Harry. The old man, Ryker (I didn't name him) is the one that uses the toilet.

14. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

I was going to suggest phenobarbitol, but I like your plan a lot more.

15. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Stop being mean to cats!!

You will suffer in their day of glorious dominion over humans which will one day be upon us.

16. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

But that's the only thing you can do with a cat. Next you'll expect me to feed it and pet it.

17. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

One day?!?

18. Rhaven

Rhaven Captain Captain

Good advice all around, except for the payback "spritz". lol
    A trip to the vet for a UTI check up and another litter box and you should be all set.
    I have 2 cats and have 2 litter boxes. My kitties are particular and need their own space in this respect. Otherwise, they're inseperable.

19. sbk1234

Great advice. However, it just seems like there's something wrong with the fact that my cats, who use their own tongues to clean their rectums, are more particular about where they pee and poop than my own children.

20. SwimmingGnu

SwimmingGnu Lieutenant Red Shirt

I once had a cat that peed on my couch. I bought a spray called Get Off at the pet store that I sprayed on the couch. I had to use it several days per week but it worked. She stopped peeing on the couch.