Iron Man 2: Build up till release DISCUSSION

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, Mar 31, 2010.

1. T'Baio

T'Baio Admiral Admiral

You're a little behind on that one, JA...that's been established for some time.

Finally, you're not in the know on something! ;)

2. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

I found out on Twitter some time ago. I just felt the need to make that... you know. Known.

3. Nick Ryder

Nick Ryder Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah but it really makes very little matter honestly... if it happened after IM1 or IM2... but yeah, isn't IM2 only supposed to take place like a couple of months after Iron Man 1 so yeah, I can buy the cameo was after Iron Man 2.

What I'm curious to see is how they'll work in the Demon in a Bottle storyline and yet still have time for an Armor Wars story. Because I heard scuttlebutt that Tony does sort of lose a battle with a bottle and goes a bit nutso... but pulls it together - much like the original comic - pretty quickly. Or so it appears. But I do hope they don't just have Tony get drunk, kick some ass in armor. Feel really sorry, pour his booze down the drain and have him go charging into the next adventure hopped up on Mountain Dew.

4. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

If I'm remembering correctly, Favreau has always said that he's not planning on directly tackling the "Demon in a Bottle" storyline, but rather having some minor subplots related to it ... and, really, that's the best idea.

All of the best superhero movies have taken the iconic stories of their respective characters and boiled them down to the most basic plot points, integrating them into the larger story. Demon in a Bottle, boiled down to the core plot points is: "I'm not an alcoholic; OK, I'm an alcoholic; now I'm not an alcoholic." If anyone can think of a way to shove that in as a secondary story without dragging the rest of the movie down, be my guest.

Then again, it would be interesting to have him fuck up as Iron Man because he's drunk by having him crash head-first into a government building or blow up a school bus. Then, he can show up at an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting in the Iron Man suit and have one of the grizzled AA veterans say, "Tony, it's time to take off your mask and take a good hard look at yourself." And Tony takes off his mask to reveal tears rolling down his cheeks, and everyone shares a heartfelt hug.

I'd almost be willing to let a movie be ruined just to have that committed to film.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2010
  5. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

That's fairly easy; Tony breaks under the pressure of whatever the villain is doing, pulls himself out of it, and saves the day.

Actually, that's more the original "Iron Monger" mega-arc from Denny O'Neill's run, but that's how you'd use that plot element.

6. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

so the 'go get em boss/ you complete me' bit is no longer included... shame.

7. Nick Ryder

:( I thought it was cute... darn...

8. John Picard

John Picard Vice Admiral Admiral

Damn :( I liked that scene.

9. Chris_Johnston

Chris_Johnston Captain Captain

I've got a bit of a crush on Olivia Munn from Attack of the Show, so I really cracked up when she Tweeted this...
    :guffaw:

10. Nick Ryder

I luv me some Munn. So she's Chess Roberts - who I thought was pretty hot looking for a head in the 1st issue of Iron Man after Heroes Reborn. - Honestly that whole first like 30 or so issues were frakking awesome. They really made me into a BIG TIME Iron Man fan. I was a fan of Iron Man before it was cool to be a fan of Iron Man - even though I religiously watched the 90s Cartoon, but I never bought every issue of his before that volume. I think it was Volume 3.

Who knows maybe she can show up in Iron Man 3 hehe

And y'know I could have seen her as the Wasp. Since we're going with an Ultimates version of the Avengers anyway - in that continuity she was Asian. In the 616 or "mainstream" Marvel she was Anglo.

11. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Reviews are starting to show up. For those who care about such things The Hollywood Reporter gives it a failing grade. However, upon reading this it seems the reviewer is now officially not understanding where this movie was going anyway.

I like how this review thinks that in their opinion there was nothing of critical acclaim that everyone is going to think that. Way to taint people's mindset going in there THR. :rolleyes:

This movie is critic proof but thought I'd post it for those who do like to give stock to such things.

12. JacksonArcher

You're right. Who cares what critics think anymore! They are so old and like, not cool.

Iron Man 2 seems to be garnering positive reviews from some of the Internet critics, like Drew McWeeny over at HitFix, formerly Moriarty of AintItCoolNews and the man himself, Harry Knowles, who lavishes the film with jubilant praise.

13. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Doesn't Harry do that with every summer blockbuster that comes out though?

14. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

Naw, he's dished out his share of hate.

From the descriptions, it does seem to me that this might be a movie that fans of the comics will appreciate more than non-fans (for example, the large cast of characters).

15. JacksonArcher

I have a sneaking suspicion the film will replicate a lot of what made the first film successful (wisecracks, action sequences, etc) but not really build onto anything new, i.e. The Empire Strikes Back, X2, or The Dark Knight. Which is fine -- I'm sure fans of the first movie and comic-book fans in general will eat it up -- but thematically speaking I have a feeling it's going to be a tad stagnate.

16. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Anymore? I haven't cared about prudish critics and their opinions, well ever. We so rarely agree. I know what I like and watch enough reviews to make a decison for myself, some(maybe not you) though are lazy and just let others tell them UP or DOWN.

I agree I doubt it'll go as dark and serious as what you mention but not doing so isn't a defacto bad thing. As far as building onto anything it's apparent they are building up the MCU(Marvel Comics Universe, Kevin Friege used that somewhere) on screen.

We will all know in a few short days though.

17. Chris_Johnston

Chris_Johnston Captain Captain

^^Well, The Dark Knight was vastly overrated. I could barely sit through it.

18. JacksonArcher

I think that's very narrow-minded thinking. I really enjoy reading what critics have to say about films, especially some critics that I respect (i.e. Roger Ebert, Michael Phillips, A.O. Scott) but even if they disapprove of a film, it doesn't necessarily influence my opinion so much as to educate my opinion.

For example, Ebert, Phillips and Scott all vehemently hated Kick-Ass but I had so much anticipation over the film that even the combined forces of their dissenting opinions weren't going to deter my excitement or sway me not to see it. I've seen Kick-Ass three times now, and it's probably my favorite movie of the year so far, regardless of what they think. Just because I disagree with them from time-to-time, doesn't mean I have to completely disregard what they say. I'm open to all forms of criticism, negative or positive, and I listen to them regardless whether I agree with them or not. It's just nice sometimes to have a variety of options, and a slew of different opinions/points-of-view.

I'm not just talking about dark and serious. I'm talking about adding to the world they established in the first film. For example, The Empire Strikes Back built on the mythology of the first film, by expounding the relationships and transforming them, as well as taking a different thematic approach (the first film was admittedly lighter, and ESB was considerably darker in tone) but what I loved about ESB is that by the film's end, technically speaking the heroes had lost, the villains had won, and there was much more left in that universe to explore (what would happen to Han Solo? How will Luke Skywalker adjust to finding out he's the son of Darth Vader? How will that thematically change the course of the series?). ESB essentially opened the doors to new exciting potential that just wasn't there before.

I have a feeling that Iron Man 2 will just regurgitate what made the first film so successful: Tony Stark will continue being a wiseass, cracking jokes, Rhodey will continue being Tony's best friend with a skeptical eye, Pepper Potts will have the same awkward, unresolved chemistry/relationship with Tony, and so on and so forth. By the end of the film, there will be no apparent risks taken, no character evolution or changes, and nothing to really propel the story into new, exciting ground. I could be completely wrong, though. I'm just going by the half a dozen reviews I've read so far which seem to indicate this.

I hope I'm wrong, at the very least. Some of the best sequels of all time have allowed the central story to be taken to new exciting levels so things didn't remain stagnate, and it allowed for the audience to wonder what just might happen to these beloved characters. We'll certainly see.

19. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ I'm hoping that we'll see trinkets of plots and themes that might creep up in Iron Man 3 but I'll doubt it. I'm another person who enjoys reading critics and listening to them regarding their views on movies but I don't go see films based on what they say. I go see movies based on if I want to see them or not.

20. PlainSimpleJoel

PlainSimpleJoel Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Read a review from the folks at Supanova (an Australian convention company) on my facebook wall. But gonna try and ignore all reviews until I see, which shall be in the 24 hours, as it opens here tomorrow.