Do fans want the prime timeline back? Part 2: Poll edition.

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by bbjeg, Sep 6, 2013.

?

Do fans want the prime timeline back?

1. I'm a fan and I want the Prime timeline back.

56.0%
  2. I'm a fan and I don't want the Prime timeline back.

16.4%
  3. I'm a fan and wouldn't mind if it came back.

11.1%
  4. I don't care, just give me Trek!

14.6%
  5. I don't know.

1.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

You know that's never going to happen outside of fanfiction right?

The whole point of the reboot was to get rid of the Primeverse, becuase it was beyond all chance of turning into a profitable venture again.

Why is that proving so hard for so many people to get through their thick skulls, the same adament stubborn entitlement that killed the primeverse is what they think will bring it back?

It's past sad.

2. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

Which is a reason why I go for fanfiction these days.

I don't think that the Primeverse is beyond all chances to be turned into a profitable and most of all enjoyable and successfull venture again. I) think that's what they have to do if they don't want to lose the ardent die-hard fans together with those who see recent Trek as a temporarily interesting novelty before moving on to other trendy things.

Just look and see what we had. We had this universe created in TNG, DS9 and VOY with hundreds of exciting races and enormous possibilities to come up with good stories about all this. And what do the fools do? They regress back to pre-TOS, followed by a lousy remake of the same series. It's like if the whole music industry should abandon the technology of today and go back to 78 rpm records and technology from the 30's.

It was not "adament stubborn entitlement" which (temporarily) killed the primeverse (the real Star Trek) but greed and stupidity.

3. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

The NextGen'ers said the same thing about TOS. Anything is possible when enough time goes by.

I'd rather the next series do what TNG did to TOS and set it in the 25th century.

4. CDR6

CDR6 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I'm with the Lynx on this one. So many possibilities in the prime-verse unexplored yet.

5. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I'm not so sure. They were already to the point by Voyager that they were retelling stories and just gluing different pieces of rubber to actors foreheads to make "new" aliens.

6. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

The vast audience that makes these movies money and would make a tv show profitable won't even know the difference between this timeline and the prime one.

7. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

^Technically, that statement isn't for or against bringing back the Prime Timeline. Like a kids show referencing something that kids will understand but for adults to get.

An example (and the reason I became a brony for a bit):
    [​IMG]
    Though the Big Lebowski is definitely not for kids, the adults who saw this scene got something extra from it. The kids couldn't care less about the people in the background and they're not going to stop watching it because they're there as I imagine a TNG reference in a 25th century series will be received by someone who's new to the franchise.

Yeah I used "My little pony" for an example, deal with it.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  8. teacake

I forget, who was the Jesus in that episode?

9. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm still waiting for on example of a filmed or written series that has been rebooted and then returned to a previous continuity.

And no considering how the various comic adaptions all do their own thing for the most part they don't count.

10. teacake

And there is nothing to stop a reboot tv series set in the NuUniverse from turning into alien of the week. As much as I enjoy all the positives of not being crushed under decades of canon, and the thought of better looking Trek it can end up just as formula and repetitive as some of the prime episodes did.

11. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

Superman Returns. I think I stated that in this thread already.

Edit:
    I did post it and it was directed to you. Of course you're still waiting for on example because you don't read them after people post them.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  12. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Even though you said no comedies, The Mary Tyler Moore Show lead into The Lou Grant Show, a comedy changing into a serious drama.

Lou Grant's life was the same, there were periodic mentions of details from his past that were the same in both shows.. History in the military during WWII, wife/ex-wife, children, career in journalism.

An example of a great show that actually got better.

:)

13. BillJ

I agree.

But I'd rather re-explore the things we already have from a 21st century perspective instead of trying to expand a universe that is already paper thin from a storytelling perspective.

14. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Since the "reboot" did not really occur until Man of Steel in 2013, the Reeves movie franchise was still the current one by the time of Superman Returns. It counts as a very late sequel, with a recasting of the same canon main character.

It wasn't simply that Trek went off the air for some other reason, it was taken off, cancelled, and the sets physically destroyed shortly after as a clear GTFO.

No one but a tiny vocal group of people that still cannot let go of it after it's death wanted it, and it was certainly far too boring, expensive and tired out to keep going.

The reboot has buried it, anything that follows will be entirely new, and rightly so.

15. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

It's all "real" as in it's all equally valid Star Trek productions. Keep making snide remarks about the most successful Trek to ever come to our screens in years, because you'll have plenty of it to rant at, what with it and other reboots ensured to be made.

16. BillJ

Even if, for whatever insane reason, they went back to the first continuity, it would be so completely different from Berman Trek as to be unrecognizable as the Prime timeline.

I'm imagining that many people here would be very displeased if they went back to the Prime timeline under those conditions.

17. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

I edited that post to include there were animated movies that were made before Returns that didn't follow Christopher Reeve's Superman like Returns did.

18. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, and the animated people, the movie people, the toy people, and the video game people are all off doing different adaptations of the comics so it doesn't count. Or are we treating Elementary as a reboot of Sherlock now.

19. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

I'm not sure how a film that has been rebooted (from Christopher Reeve's "Superman" to the animated "Superman: Brainiac Attacks" where Jonathan Kent lives) and then returned to a previous continuity (Superman Returns returning to Christopher Reeve's Superman) doesn't count.

20. BillJ

I'm pretty sure that most folks see animation and live-action as two distinct animals.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.