Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Obiwanshinobi, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, I'm sure it's not because he's a good actor that they're lucky to get. Clearly because it's SHOCKING! :lol:

2. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

Or, more likely, they want to fill the cast with well-known actors.

3. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Do you think Costner, Crowe, Ormond and Lane are likely to get much more screen time than Fishburne? Do you think Fish will get less screen time than the likes of Michael Caine, Gary Oldman or Morgan Freeman in the Batman series? They're just casting the best actors available!

4. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

You know that's not even remotely the same thing as what I was saying.

As for Caine, why not? He's clearly of the age to play a butler for Bruce Wayne. Not like anyone is knocking down Caine for leading roles. The fact he is well known and carries a cetain weight is just gravy.

5. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I liked Daredevil. :(

6. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think I was a little unclear due to a typo, but my point was that Captain Craig seems to think that casting actors of gravitas in support roles is a waste or a "stunt," at least when it comes to Fishburne, whereas I think it is the continuation of the casting pattern so far of filling the supporting roles with actors of stature.

Personally, I think the casting of the supporting roles is overall excellent (though I really don't like having one of my teenaged celebrity crushes (Diane lane) being old enough to play Ma).

7. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Slightly odd line of argument going on here "THE ACTORS ARE TOO GOOD!"

Maybe the casting director should wander the street and cast random people?

8. Admiral Buzzkill

Sure - well, as long as they're randomly caucasian. Don't want to "shock" anyone.

9. Captain Craig

I already addressed the first part.
    It's repetative now but really they could've cast a well known white actor for the traditional role of Perry White. They could have. I mearly contend they didn't not cause there weren't any possibilites but cause they wanted to try, try and grab some attention. Now the fact they didn't or haven't yet in the main entertainment outlets is actually quite promising.
    It's like some actor coming out gay now as if that's new.
    I mearly contend they perhahps tried, tried to do something shocking and in 2011 it's not. Great. I already stated I like LF.

As one who studied Communication/PR in school this rings true as something sometimes done intentionally.

I'm just a bit surprised no one else can simply say, "Oh, I see what you mean." Instead everyone is hung up on trying to toss out other examples that don't quite fit my point. Pa,Ma and the Els have always been white-great they got big names but that doesn't parallel my point.

10. Admiral Buzzkill

Cool. It's not an (ahem) objectively bad movie - it's a good example of one that fans complain about, though.

11. Captain Craig

Another one missing my point.
    :sigh:

I'm moving on.

12. You repeating that over and over again, doesn't make it so.

Maybe if it was, I dunno, Chris Rock, cast as Perry White I might be inclined to agree, but Fishburn being cast doesn't feel like that at all, especially when you note the quality of other actors around him (Diane Lane, Costner). Fishburne makes me think they want someone projecting authority and gravitas. In other words, a more serious and less joke-y Perry White.

In my mind it's pretty clear they are trying to do a "Batman Begins" with the casting. Packing the film to the brim with quality veteran actors.

13. the G-man

All I'm saying is this: Snyder is obviously casting top-tier actors in the supporting roles. Fishburne is a top-tier actor, now cast in a supporting role. And, but for his skin color, he is pretty much spot-on the type to play Perry White. And given who Perry is, and has always been, this is a pretty much the one long-time character in Superman where you can change the race of the character and have it NOT be shocking.

In fact, I'd say that the heavy set, balding, Fishburne is actually closer in type to Perry than the thin, well coifed, Jackie Cooper was in the Donner film...except for his skin tone.

As such, I don't see this being shocking at all.

14. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

was it stunt casting when Billy Dee Williams was cast a Harvey Dent in Batman? nope. its not stunt casting here either.

15. the G-man

BTW: In my mind, as long as they're rebooting the DCU now, they ought to make the comic book Perry black.

16. the G-man

Actually, yes, but not for that reason. It was stunt casting because they were hoping to get someone with a hit genre film under his belt in the film, namely, Lando.

17. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I don't think this is stunt casting any more than it was stunt casting to cast Fishburne as Tom Cruise's boss in M:I3. The point about casting such a well-known, leading-man calibre actor in a supporting role could equally have been made when he landed that role.

Out of curiousity Captain Craig, who would you rather have seen in the role?

18. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Frankly if they're trying to reboot and modernize the Superman character, they should probably ditch the Daily Planet altogether.

Have him be a freelance AP reporter or something, working on important stories in war-torn countries. Or make him an Anderson Cooper type for a CNN-style show.

Even if the Planet is supposed to be the equivalent of a powerhouse like the New York Times, it still feels awfully quaint and outdated to see Superman working at a newspaper in 2011.

19. Admiral Buzzkill

Exactly so.

20. Captain Craig

I didn't have anyone in mind. LF is going to make a great Perry White.
    I just read that casting news and it felt like I've stated.
    I'm just a bit surprised that no one even remotely saw what I was trying to point out. We'll never know if I was right/wrong on their motives but it seems odd that no one could objectively say,"Well, maybe but if so they failed". That would indicate someone at least actually digested my comment first.
    That's all, instead, as message boards do it became a tangent of other well known actors in smaller roles that didn't synch up with my point.