Kirk Enterprise - the Enterprise(a)?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Cadet49, Apr 18, 2013.

1. HIjol

HIjol Vice Admiral Admiral

Thanks, Wormhole...was not counting movies, but that still leaves me 2 off on my math... :)

2. HIjol

HIjol Vice Admiral Admiral

"...motherfucked up the goats ass...?"

Wow!

3. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

"Well, that's a hell of an apology, son..."

4. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Was an explanation ever given for the significance of the name "USS Biddeford"? Is someone on the production team from Maine?

5. OpenMaw

OpenMaw Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'd love for them to name a ship "USS KABOOM"

:lol:

6. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

I don't recall anyone asking you to apologize for your skepticism.

7. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Are you unning for public office? Reads like a congress-critter reply. Way to serious for the topic to hand.

8. WarpFactorZ

So now that it's been established the TOS Constitution design is canon (ignoring whether or not deleted scenes "count"), who wants to open speculation about where this lineage goes, chronologically-speaking.

In the prime universe, the 1701 was built in 2245. But with Nero's incursion, perhaps plans for this version of the Constitution were scrapped in favour of the nu-design (and Marcus' model is just that -- a concept model he liked and kept).

9. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Deleted scenes don't count, but I'm open to speculation nonetheless.

Since there's also another ship (Newton-type) with the same registry and presumably the same name actually seen in the film, we can also speculate that this ship was going to be its replacement. But as far as being a concept...none of the other ship models are concepts, so why should this one be?

10. OpenMaw

Depending on how one feels about the Countdown to Darkness comic that too also raises questions about what happens between 2233 and 2258 as far as starfleet and the Enterprise legacy are concerned.

:)

11. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'd like to rock the boat by suggesting that 2245 is pure conjecture from the old Star Trek Chronology book and non-canon technical manuals. Early plans for ST'09 had the TOS Enterprise be destroyed in the opening, which would have cemented it's construction pre-2233. Perhaps the class is that old? One of the movie's novel inspirations was Final Frontier by Diane Carey, which had the ship launch in 2188 (as per the 1979 Star Trek Spaceflight Chronology book)

12. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

As you may have noticed, The Wormhole is almost never completely serious. An over-the-top apology would merely be consistent in tone with the rest.

No explanation I can recall seeing. I did try looking it up when that question was asked earlier, but I don't think I found any likely clues.

13. WarpFactorZ

I agree that there is no canon source for the christening of the Enterprise, so it's entirely possible that it could have been built pre-2230. This would have made for a better opening, rather than using an unknown ship, and would have offered some explanation for why the nu-E doesn't look like the old one. They also missed the opportunity to canonize Robert April beyond TAS (given the absurd number of nods in each film, I find it odd they didn't).

14. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

That's something everyone knows in regards to the subject. But I think that 2245 was widely accepted by fandom and people who worked on Trek like Mike Okuda to allow room for TAS' Robert April to have commanded the Enterprise before Pike.

I think that 2188 launch date was an attempt to reconcile some evidence that TOS took place in the 22nd-Century and TMP in the 23rd-Century? Perhaps giving enough wriggle room for both to be true with approximations.

15. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

It is possible that the new ships that were mentioned at the end "These Are The Voyages" was the start of the Constitution (Jefferies Type) hull lineage. We'll need new class name, unless we want to call one the Constitution Mk I and the other Constitution Mk II.

16. OpenMaw

I thought that was supposed to be a nod to the Daedalus class that was supposed to show up some years after the E/R war. Obviously the narrative point is just "the NX is the past, and this new stuff is the future."

17. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

I like to think that there were a couple of intermediate designs between the NX-class and the Constitution-class (like how there were a couple of designs between the Constitution-class and the Galaxy-class).

18. drt

drt Commodore Commodore

I suppose its arguable that Marcus explained his Vengance model as a concept or possible future ship.

19. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh, wow. They were too desperate to try to keep the secret. I can't decide if it's funny or sad all that effort was spent on a secret that everyone figured out anyway.

20. WarpFactorZ

Precisely. This is how you know it was planned from step 1. There was never a question. Not only did they hide the character's true identity with a pseudonym so no one would catch on, they had to hide the pseudonym with another pseudonym because they realized the first one would be too obvious to die-hard fans.

"I was against it being Khan, it was a last minute arm-twist!" Yeah, yeah....