PROMETHEUS - Grade and Discuss

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Roshi, May 30, 2012.

?

Prometheus - Poll

Poll closed May 30, 2013.
  1. A +

6.9%
  2. A

11.6%
  3. A -

13.8%
  4. B +

18.5%
  5. B

14.2%
  6. B -

9.1%
  7. C +

8.2%
  8. C

3.4%
  9. C -

6.5%
  10. D

5.2%
  11. F

2.6%
  1. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I gave it the movie a B, pretty entertaining but not completely satisfying.

It looked good and the acting was mostly fine. I enjoyed the nods to the franchise within the movie, but I would have liked more explicit answers. I went in not knowing if this was meant to be a one off or a new series so I'm not sure much I should be concerned about that issue otherwise I probably would have rated it a bit lower.

One thing I didn't quite get (well, there was more than one but I'll focus on this one) was how it went from "Yay, Creators!" to "No, Destroyers!". Shaw seemed to leap from the former to the latter without much explanation, or least much I can readily recall.

2. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

3. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Quite a good review.

That's not development. That's just the character's background details. If we discover she likes the color Blue that's not development.

4. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

I said this very thing when I saw it with a friend yesterday.

5. Daneel

Daneel Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, it was quite unfortunate for Vickers that she suffered from the apparent inability to make a 90° turn and run that way instead.

6. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsCspJFaCMs&feature=channel&list=UL[/yt]

7. Infern0

Infern0 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

B+

I really liked it, lots of unanswered questions but a decent sci-fi flick

8. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I'm still pretty sure that line in Prometheus wasn't to be taken literally and was just her throwing a number out there that "sounded good" and better than "200 trillion miles."

On the falling/rolling ship thing the actual best way to run would be at a 45-degree angle to the direction the thing was rolling. This way you gain distance from it both from its direction of travel and sideways.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
  9. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

"If I wanted to get laid why would I take myself where there's 200 trillion Mikes?"

10. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Thank you, I agree. Background information is not development. Development means that the characters grow and change as a result of the events of the film. I mean, I suppose Shaw changed a bit from believing that we would meet our gods to discovering that our creators were just aliens with bioengineered weapons, but she still wants to find them and meet them.

11. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

Assuming there's a connection does make sense, though. David recovers the cylinder from the cavern, then speaks to Weyland onboard the ship, then goes off and infects Holloway after being told to "try harder." In one of the many interviews I've read with Lindelof over the last few days, he said that "try harder" translates for an android as "try a different way until you get results." He also suggested, though did not outright state, that Weyland may have explicitly told David to find out what would happen if a human were infected with what David had discovered.

Also, just a small correction - the bit about a soul happens during the briefing near the beginning of the film, rather than "later." ;)

In any event, I think you're right about there being some resentment, though I think it's also coupled with contempt for humanity. He resents that he'll never have a soul as his creator conceives of one, but at the same time he realizes that he is probably superior to humans in many other ways. I think he sees a potential in himself for something more than what he has been doing, but has to wait until Weyland has died in order to fully explore that potential ("all children want their parents to die"). David already understands quite well that getting an answer to your question ("why did you create us?") may be wholly unsatisfying ("because we could"), and so views the Prometheus mission to find humanity's creators to be a pointless exercise.

12. TremblingBluStar

TremblingBluStar Vice Admiral Admiral

What number of any consequence was wrong in the OT?

I'm not saying details aren't important - but if it doesn't affect the plot... well, then it's not important.
    You do realize the man is 75 years old, right? He'll be dust before he ever reaches the lack of storytelling talent Lucas possesses.

True. I got that wrong.

Either way, I don't see how it can be claimed there was no character development. First off, there were only two survivors, both of whom were clearly changed by their experience. Yes, Shaw still wants to find the Engineers, but not for the reason she wanted at the beginning.

I see her having a similar character arc as Ripley, who we didn't see change much by the end of the first Alien, but in the second film she was clearly affected and changed by the first film.

13. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

That's like the eighth time that link has been posted now.

(But it is an interesting read nonetheless.)

14. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Haha, sorry.

Just saw the movie yesterday, liked it. Will post my thoughts a little later.:)

15. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

The guy makes a lot of very good points (especially about the crew basically acting like a bunch of kids on a field trip :D), and there's no disputing that the writing doesn't really hold up well under scrutiny...... but what can I say? Despite the many flaws, the movie still works for me.

16. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

We can rebuild him. We have the technology.

17. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

IMO there is nothing worse than overly picky sci-fi fans. Star Trek XI can also be nitpicked to death. I remember some of the complaints:

*Red matter that looked like red thick paint.
    *Why would you build a Starship on planet earth v. in orbit?
    *The character 'Nero,' - yea another poorly written Trek bad guy.
    *Here we go again with another time travel paradox to solve plot problems
    *Giant space drills - yea like you need a giant drill when you have anti-matter that can destroy an entire sector. Why bother?
    *If you're oging to skydive to a space drill, wouldn't it be smart to bring a parachute along?

I could keep going.

I still loved the movie. And I still enjoyed Prometheus.

18. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

They did have parachutes...

19. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

And backup parachutes. ;)

20. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

You attributed this quote to me and I never said this.

I did say something along the lines of not everything is peeled out in big bright letters.