The Action Figure and Toy Collecting and Discussion Thread!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by cooleddie74, Apr 7, 2012.

1. Kira's Mom

Kira's Mom Fleet Admiral Admiral

I finished another Hawkeye themed cross stitch. Clint likes it!

[​IMG]

2. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Good thing nobody here collects Johnny Longtorso.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tk0i0yTPJBY[/yt]

3. cooleddie74

Three of the figures that'll be in Wave 2 of the Black Series line (3.75").

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Random_Spock

Random_Spock Vice Admiral Admiral

Nice Star Wars figures! :)

5. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Maybe it's just because I got used to the Vintage Collection, but those bubbles have a ridiculous amount of wasted space.

6. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

On the other hand, the overall card is much smaller.

The plastic may be wider, but it looks to be a bit shallower too perhaps. It may still take up less space on the pegs.

7. cooleddie74

They do. They're pretty much the same height as Vintage Collection cardbacks but much narrower, and the blisters containing the figures are larger and contain more empty space. I'd have placed a cardboard insert with some artwork inside the blister to help make the packaging look less empty. The new, more kid-focused Saga Legends cardbacks (the reduced articulation $5.99 line) are probably the smallest cardback packaging in the history of Star Wars action figures. They're a lot like the packages that you see superhero figures in when you visit a dollar store chain.

8. OdoWanKenobi

I picked up the deluxe edition of the new Diamond Select Spock today. This is the version that you'll find at your local comic shops and Diamond distributors. There's also a version with fewer accessories and a blander base that can be found at Toys R Us. This version comes with a much cooler Devil in the Dark base:
    [​IMG]

It also comes with a swappable set of legs, hands, and a head to create a different look. This is the way I'm almost certainly going to display mine:
    [​IMG]

I was unsure about the unarticulated legs at first, but having them allows for the crouching to look much more natural. I'm pretty pleased with him. I thought that maybe there would be some recycled parts from the old Art Asylum figure, but no, this is new from the ground up. The headsculpts blow that one out of the water, too.

Again, if you want him, or Kirk, make sure to get the deluxe editions. They are miles above the more basic TRU versions.

9. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

They're actually doing a really great job with those figures.

10. cooleddie74

11. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Some fans/collectors argue that the Anthony Ainley Master that was released in the business suit is actually Kamelion. Their reasoning? Ainley playing the role of a disguised Kamelion wore a contemporary suit while the real Master never did. Actually, some use that logic because they are frustrated an Ainley Master has yet to be released in his more iconic "penguin suit with tails" and reps from Character Options have hinted it likely won't happen due to escalating production costs.

Frankly, I like mine.

Oh, I do realize you mean a scaled recreation of the animatronic manniquin and not one of his disguised forms.

Sincerely,

Bill

12. OdoWanKenobi

13. cooleddie74

More Black Series Wave 2 carded images!

MARA JADE!!! She looks pretty awesome! Let's hope she doesn't turn into yet another Expanded Universe figure that the scalpers will scoop up and sell for about eighty bucks on eBay (probably).

Love the Pablo-Jill update. Luminara looks good, too. Now the Vintage Barriss Offee will have her super-articulated Master at her side.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. OdoWanKenobi

Mara Jade is one I've been waiting for. I hope I'm actually able to find her. It's really disconcerting that there has been absolutely no new Star Wars 3 3/4 figures on the shelf all year. The pegs around me are getting really, really bare.

15. cooleddie74

If finding more obscure, far lesser-known EU characters like Bastila Shan, Darth Malgus and Shae Vizla was such a colossal retail chore I can only imagine how big a target the new Mara Jade will be once her wave assortment starts to hit. She's probably going to be one of those figures that most collectors won't find unless they show up right after or even during the pegs being freshly restocked.

16. OdoWanKenobi

*whistle* :o

Found em at retail. Just rubbing it in some more.

17. cooleddie74

Stifle it, Edith. ;)

I can't complain much, really. My friend's local toy and collectibles shop had a lot of the hard-to-find figures even if I had to pay a few dollars extra for each one. But yeah, never saw any of those three I mentioned on actual retail peg walls at any store chain, although I did manage to find the Ponda Baba, Hoth Soldier, Imperial Navy Commander and other highly popular and sought-after figures from their particular waves.

There are still folks all over the place who have never seen a Vintage Collection Ponda Baba in the wild, much less some of the others we've talked about. Heck, check the eBay prices for the VC12 Darth Sidious or the pop-off panels Threepio from the very first wave of the line. Some of these bad boys are still very, very elusive.

18. OdoWanKenobi

Sidious? 3PO? Oh, you mean those things that were just warming the pegs at my local Wal-Mart? :p

I kid, I kid! Though Ponda Baba was never hard to find around here.

19. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

20. cooleddie74

For real? Dang. You're either from a bizarre parallel universe or you're in what some of us call a "Hasbrotopia." Some areas and markets see much better distribution of harder-to-find, elusive figure waves than others, and while I'd never call my area a Hasbrotopia it definitely saw more of the Ponda Baba wave than a lot of other places (although appearances of that assortment were very infrequent).

With enough toy runs and patience you could eventually find at least one of every figure in his wave except - apparently - a little lady named Bastila Shan.