SMALLVILLE: JL or L*?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Jetfire, Nov 12, 2010.

1. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

I think the strike had more to do with S7's woes than anything else...I am glad the show continued.

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^Naah, I was hating the writing for a season or two before that. The only reason I stuck around as long as I did was because I adore Kristin Kreuk -- and enjoyed watching Michael Rosenbaum and John Glover for entirely different reasons. Indeed, according to Wikipedia, the effects of the strike only kicked in after episode 15 of the season, and that was exactly when I stopped watching, so the strike wouldn't have been a factor in the problems that drove me off. (Unless maybe the writers were so worried about the impending strike that the quality of their work went down the tubes?)

3. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

The latter part S5 & most of S6 wasn't where the show should have gone and S7 was good up until midway but if the strike didn't effect it until ep 15...I don't know what the hell happened. :lol:

4. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

The story is that the writers changed the original plan for season seven because of the strike and that "Veritas" would serve as either the season finale for the show if they could not continue filming or just as a mid-season finale (as it was I believe). They also apparently had written a series finale just in case they could not continue or were canceled that season. Michael Rossenbum was very vocal about coming back for the finale if this was the case. I remember posting here that I really hoped the show would conclude because of how bad things had got. Season Seven was ultimately shortened as well due to the strike. I remember that we posted pictures of Brian, Kelly, Don, and Holly picketing and there was overwhelming support for them here.

5. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

S7 was shaping up to be great and then it all went to hell. I'd like to know what they had planned originally.

6. Admiral_Young

The whole Vertias conspiracy angle just bogged down the season and made it nearly unbearable. As disappointing as Doomsday was, season seven was really bad.

7. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

Doomsday should have never been done. IMO. The only thing I liked about S8 was Tess & The Legion. Failsday, KryptoLana & the fact I missed some eps left a sour taste in my mouth.

8. Admiral_Young

KryptoLana....don't get me started on her. No wonder Kristin left.

9. Christopher

Oh, they handled Doomsday excellently, making him into an actual character rather than a stupid, arbitrary plot device like he was in the comics. That's been the show's greatest strength these past couple of seasons -- adding depth and nuance to the antagonists, making them interesting people rather than just cartoon baddies. Zod last season was the best antagonist since Lex in the early seasons. So far, they're failing to do the same with Darkseid's minions, who are quite one-dimensional. And since they're treating Darkseid pretty much as a Satan analogue, I doubt he'll get any nuance either.

10. Admiral_Young

^You found Clone Zod interesting? I found him to be boring and cliched. I did like how they connected him to Jor-El by making him friends with him. The Davis Bloom aspect of Doomsday was interesting but the pay off was ultimately disappointing.

11. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

I think they messed up a great thing with Davis Bloome...really should have been Sam Witwer playing Zod in S9 instead of a totally different actor...but I think Callum Blue did a pretty good job.

12. Admiral_Young

Callum was okay in some scenes but I feel like he overacted the part in an attempt to depict the character's menace. We already know he's supposed to be a bad guy, just let flow naturally. Terrance accomplished this and this is why I think his Zod is heralded. Michael did a pretty great job at exuding Zod as well.

This is becoming a rehash Smallville thread, sorry Jet.

13. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

:lol:

Back on topic...one thing I don't like about the JLers on Smallville is not being able to show Bruce or Diana...I know what people say about that...but to me if you have Aquaman & Green Arrow...I want to see Batman & Wonder Woman too.

14. Admiral_Young

I don't get the part about not having Diana. As far as I'm aware they is no Wonder Woman embargo...the live action women thing is a recent policy decision by DC, one I don't agree with. There's no reason Diana couldn't have been on the show. I would have written a two parter and in my Alternate Smallville that happens in the final season.

15. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

The Bat embargo is ridiculous. At least with the L* they could have used all the main characters & villains.

16. Admiral_Young

^ That would have made me very happy.

17. Christopher

For a long time, as I understand it, there was a clause in some licensing contract saying that Wonder Woman could only appear in something where she was a main character. So she could show up in Justice League (and JL-centric DVD movies like The New Frontier and Crisis on Two Earths) because she was one of the core regulars, and she could appear in a DVD movie in which she was the star, but she couldn't appear in a guest role in someone else's show, which is why she was absent from The Batman and Batman: The Brave and the Bold as well as Smallville. I think the intent was to try to boost her profile by making sure she always appeared in major roles, but it had the opposite effect by diminishing her number of appearances overall. A prominent guest role can do a lot for a character's visibility, as we've seen with Green Arrow.

However, this policy no longer seems to be in effect, since Wonder Woman appeared in a supporting role in Superman/Batman: Apocalypse and I gather she'll be appearing in a third-season TB&TB episode. So if Smallville wanted to, they probably could bring Diana in. I doubt they'll have room in the time they have left, though.

18. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

I don't think we will see Diana...Brian or someone else said that she was her own character...same with Batman and wouldn't be on Smallville. :sigh:

19. Admiral_Young

Ollie isn't his own character? I think he'd dispute that lol.

20. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

Yeah it doesn't make sense. :lol: