'Cloud Atlas' (2012) Wachowski Brothers rumors/info until release

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by jefferiestubes8, Nov 30, 2010.

1. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

I thought it was a pretty awesome movie, but I can see why it'd be hard for some to follow and it was a long movie. But I really enjoyed it, it was one the better movies I've seen this year.

2. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I finally got the chance to this tonight and I absolutely loved it. I definitely need to watch it again. My brief review from Facebook:

In closing, I have to also add that I loved the acting, especially Hugo Weaving's performance as Ol' Georgie.

3. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Weird, I tried to see this like three weeks or so after release and it was nowhere to be found.

4. The Nth Doctor

I only just saw it because it finally showed up at my base theater in Japan.

5. T'Baio

T'Baio Admiral Admiral

Time magazine named it the worst film of the year.

Time magazine apparently has no taste and is stupid.

6. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

Time magazine obviously didn't see Tim & Eric's Billion Dollar Movie....

7. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Clearly. It's going to be high on my list of the very best films of the year.

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

^They also included John Carter, which I absolutely loved.

9. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

Because it bombed. :(

Yeah, what the fuck? That's ridiculous.

10. The Nth Doctor

I understand it's all a matter of opinion, but out of the hundreds of films that were released this year, Time Magazine thinks Cloud Atlas is the single worst? That's mind-boggling stupid.

11. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

Exactly. I mean, how could they think it's worse than, say, Playing for Keeps? Or Red Dawn?

Critics were certainly mixed about it, which to me is not a sign that it was bad, but at least not everyone's cup of tea.

12. AvBaur

AvBaur Captain Captain

It's just a contrarian thing. Naming a movie that most people really liked (an imdb score of 8.2 would point to that) gets them lots of free publicity, whereas nobody'd notice if they named some forgettable Adam Sandler movie. It's basically trolling on a bigger scale.

13. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

They probably are probably factoring in that it cost over $100 million to make - had enormous star power with stars like Hanks and Barry- yet was an undeniable box office flop.

I liked the film personally, albeit it was a tad long.

14. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

While I loved Cloud Atlas personally and would rate it one of my top five films of the year, I wouldn't begrudge a reviewer who listed as one of the most disappointing films of the year, because their expectations from the trailers or book were not met. It's like Prometheus for me. It's not by any means one of the worst movies of the year if you include all the hundreds of films released, but it was a huge disappointment for me based on my expectations. Obviously not everyone enjoyed Cloud Atlas or found it engrossing or an impressive technical achievement the way I did, and I can respect that.

But including it in the list of the ten worst films of the year, and putting it at the top of that list is pretty hard to reconcile for me with all the crap that been out there this year (and every year). It comes off as contrarian trolling for publicity in the style of Armond White as AvBaur suggests rather than reasonable criticism. Even if you didn't enjoy it, it at least aspired to be something unique and interesting, and you should at least be able to acknowledge its technical achievements. Those things should lift it above the typical lowest common denominator fodder that doesn't require any effort or aspire to be anything noteworthy, and just tries to pander to a small demographic and make its money back on DVD.

This film aimed to be something more and put a big budget behind that as a gamble, and even if you feel it fell short of achieving those goals, something should be said for the producers, cast, and crew of the film at least making the effort and taking the risk to try.

So, to sum up, suck it Time reviewer. ;)

15. Brolan

Brolan Commodore Commodore

I'm not even sure I like the movie, but I think it achieves at least part of what it is going for. It's certainly NOT a disaster like the infamous Heavens Gate.

16. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

Does anyone know when this film is coming out on Blu-Ray. I heard it was supposed to be released today, but now the rumor is that it won't be out until June??

What's up with that?

17. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

Technically, it's not a delay because Warner Bros. hasn't actually announced a home media release date. The February 5th date only came from retailers.

As for why June:

The HD Room

18. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah I did read that article. But I think they should stick with something close to the release date. That's almost nine months after it came out!

19. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was disappointed by the delay as well as I was really looking forward to checking this out. Don't they usually just dump flops quickly? Oh we'll.

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just finished watching this for the first time a little while ago, and I have a new movie to add to my list of favorites. I loved every second of the movie. Each story on it's own would have been a really good movie, but add them all together, and you got something amazing.
    I was going to try to pick a favorite story, but I can't.
    One of the things that I thought was great was something that I didn't actually pick up on until the end. Each of the actors characters all represented the same concept in each story. The two biggest being Tom Hanks always being a guide of some sort who lead the main character to where they were supposed to be at the end, and Hugo Weaving was always a representative of the order that the main character always rebelled against.