Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Obiwanshinobi, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

If we could only wish away everything in the media that's "kinda silly" we'd live simpler lives, I suppose.

The reason I brought this up here was stated in my original post - taking a look at our friend "The First Avenger" (known to us Yanks as Captain America) it seems entirely possible that the timing of Clark's becoming a Kryptonian without a country may not be happenstance.

Cornell's story was going to be ignored by the larger media regardless of whether this story was published or not - there's nothing unusual enough about what he's doing to be "newsworthy." Perhaps a result of the mini-controversy may be that a few more people will buy the comic and read Cornell's work, and I'm sure he'll feel good about that.

2. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh, it was just a little jab at the expense of Fox's reputation. I'm really not that political.

3. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's not Clark that is revoking his citizenship though...it's Superman, two totally different things.

@Broc my Rao comment wasn't directed at the Fox comment just at the whole story lol.

4. Admiral Buzzkill

So, I tend to call the character Clark and Superman interchangably - I like "Clark," and have ever since John Byrne invented him. ;) Sue me.

5. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah...I don't really read many Superman comics these days, but I'm saddened hear that they've done away with that Clark.

6. Admiral_Young

I was just trying to differentiate who is doing the revoking. This would be something entirely different if Clark went to Lois and said "Honey, I'm revoking my American citizenship so I can function better as Superman and doing so am going to expose my identity to the world." No this was Clark making a Superman decision :)

7. Admiral Buzzkill

Have they? I know that All Star Superman went with the bumbling ol' ReeveClark, but I didn't know that he was generally being written as a dorky disguise these days.

8. Admiral_Young

^ Johns basically retconned Clark into being Donner Clark.

9. Admiral Buzzkill

Eh, I guess eventually even Johns had to do something I'd dislike. :lol:

10. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Geoff Johns and Gary Frank brought back the bumbling ol' ReeveClark. (In Frank's case its close to literal)

11. Admiral_Young

Clark even has worn a version of the Superman Returns suit. Adam Kubert did the redesign of the costume during the "Superman: Last Son" arc which was Johns first arc on Action Comics.

12. Admiral Buzzkill

Johns resurrected Green Lantern, so I can't be too disappointed in him. ;)

13. Admiral_Young

^ Yep! He also restored the Legion and Clark's history with them.

14. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

...which is funny because Clark's citizenship is illegitimate. He wasn't born in the U.S., and he didn't go through any sort of naturalization process.

15. Too Much Fun

Too Much Fun Commodore Commodore

I know. I was aware of this. It's part of what I was calling "lame". :cool: I just think if you're going to use that catchphrase, use the whole damn thing. It's not worth using if it's not going to be used properly.

16. StarTrek1701

StarTrek1701 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

What's so surprising about that? Can you honestly tell me that actress from 'Being Erica' wouldn't be a better pick for Lois Lane?

17. Admiral_Young

What's wrong with Amy Adams? Erin Karpluk (if that's who I assume you're talking about) is hot and a great actress but is an unknown and would be something of a risk to play Lois Lane. Amy Adams is attractive, is a great actress and has name and star power. I don't get your reasoning and think you're just slagging the actress for no particular reason.

18. StarTrek1701

StarTrek1701 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Who has star power? Amy Adams? Not more than Erin Karpluk thats for sure. Plus its not the age that makes someone a 'hag', its the look. Diane Lane (the new Martha Kent) is 40+ yet she looks more youthful, vibrant and fresh-faced than Lindsay Lohan who is barely 25. And I certainly don't find Amy Adams attractive.

19. Admiral_Young

I'll bet you no one outside of Canada or anyone else who watches "Being Erica" knows who Erin Karpluk is and most people will know Amy Adams from "Enchanted" which launched her career. Amy also has an Oscar nomination (and yes I know Erin has won Gemini Awards ) so I don't know how you can claim Amy doesn't have star power. If she didn't, she wouldn't be in the running for the role in the first place.

Look it's obvious you're against this film (you've already stated that it's going to bomb and have been critical of Synder which is all well and good) I just don't see how your points have any merit at all.

20. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Do you by chance post on another board where you complained about a "no-name" actress like Laura Prepon getting the role on Castle of the actress playing Nikki Heat over a "big time A-list star" like Jewel Staite? :lol: