Abrams turns Star Wars because of his "loyalty" to Trek

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by brian577, Dec 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

Star Trek author

meets

Trekkie

Hilarity ensues.

2. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Every EU writer ever agrees with you. And they're wrong ;). Han clones are now a tired cliche. Hell, Firefly had one as it's main character. I agree with you on Leia though. The prequels definitely were missing a character like her.

It probably speaks volumes that I've always thought Luke was cooler than Han. Han doesn't even do anything in Jedi! A total spare part.

3. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I think what your missing DalekJim is exactly what The Stig is talking about in his post. There is a moment of childhood magic that no review or dissertation can take away from fans of the original series. When I watched the movie it was like being a kid sitting in front of our old floor-model 25" color TV again.

It doesn't mean the movie doesn't have issues. But when I measure the issues vs. the "fun factor", the "fun factor" wins out.

As far as Spock goes, all I can say is that your wrong, wrong, wrong, so completely wrong. You talk like someone who is basing their opinion entirely on the pop-culture image and not like someone who has actually watched the show. Spock's father married not one, but two human women. Spock had a relationship six years prior to TOS with a human woman (Leila Kalomi, This Side of Paradise). Spock had family issues (The Naked Time, Journey to Babel). Spock wasn't readily accepted by other Vulcans (Amok Time, Yesteryear).

4. DalekJim

No offence but your inarticulate, cosey, nostalgic, twee, gut-reactions are of no real use if you aren't able to explain them.

Kirk looking at the Enterprise wasn't "magical". It was a scene lazily pasted from Star Wars.

5. BillJ

There is no need to explain them, those reactions were enough to get me to buy tickets to the film on four separate occasions.

One day you'll understand.

6. DalekJim

And that is fine for you but saying the film made you feel gooey inside for reasons you're unable to explain isn't very good in a debate. Especially as I am continually pushed to explain my opinions in a way that people who adore the film never will have to.

7. BillJ

Well, I gave you a reason why you're completely wrong about Spock (and the episodes for reference) and so have others, several times, yet you choose to completely ignore them. :shrug:

8. The Doctor

The Doctor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If you're going to be an elitist prick, own it. You can't preface an offensive statement with 'no offense' and calmly assume that your hands are clean.

I hate to break it to you (that's a lie, I'm enjoying it quite a bit) but we're talking about entertainment. It is, by definition, a gut-reaction affair. We can go round and round on the mechanics behind it but at the end of the day these movies, television shows, books, comics, and games exist to produce an emotional response.

Right, because never before in the history of film did a protagonist stare into the middle distance and contemplate his future. :rolleyes:

9. DalekJim

I haven't ignored them, I just disagree and genuinely don't see Spock/Uhura as a moving love story but as crass titillation for the casual audience that would absolutely not have existed if Star Trek was still popular. It was a cynical attempt at making Spock not look gay or weird, and to show he's one of the lads.

Could you be any more of a Top Gear fan? You're acting so loutish and faux-alpha male that I flat out refuse to talk to you anymore. Can't be good for my brain at all.

10. The Doctor

Yeah, because dancing green Orion slave girls and plunging necklines on female crewmembers is the height of class. You know that the neckline on the female uniforms changes by department: Command has the highest neckline, operations next and medical has the lowest of them all. I'm guessing it's to help the male patients recuperate faster. ;) Good ol' Franz Joseph.

11. BillJ

Moving love story? No where did I ever say that (not sure anyone else did either). I said it's not out of character for Spock.

12. BillJ

You're acting like an immature prick. Acting like you're better than other folks because you're above liking a popcorn action flick. Which you originally liked, btw.

* Just give me the infraction for flaming now. No need to post that I'm getting one. :techman:

13. DalekJim

And you personally insult other people for not liking the same romance plotlines that you do. I'm glad that another human being's feelings are less important to you than your shipping duties in a fandom.

14. Nagisa Furukawa

Nagisa Furukawa Commander Red Shirt

I think the difference between Hamill and Ford between Star Wars and Return of the Jedi speaks volumes. In Star Wars, Hamill is stumbling around, not knowing how to deliver half his lines, while Ford is cool and assured and gives a remarkably confident performance. By Jedi? Hamill's learned how to fucking act and is actually trying while Ford is snoozing through a paycheck. It's (one of the reasons) I've got way more respect for Hamill than Ford.

Precisely. It's like people trying to justify the existence of ghosts by relating an experience their mom had when she was a little girl. Completely pointless and more than a little embarrassing.

:guffaw:

15. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Eh? That analogue is dreadful - they aren't anything alike at all.

16. Nagisa Furukawa

Nagisa Furukawa Commander Red Shirt

It's trying to justify that something is good/real not because of actual feeling, but because of something immaterial that can't be explained or justified; it just "is." No, you're right, a better comparison would be people who justify something based on "faith" except that's WAY more than a little embarrassing.

17. BillJ

There's never entertainment that you like on an emotional level?

18. DalekJim

Yup. JJ Abrams' vision of Trek is "magical"? What the fuck? Did he have a unicorn as his Director of Photography or something?

19. The Doctor

So wait, I can't be engaged on any level except intellectual? Or if I am, since it can't be quantified, that engagement is invalid?

I don't think you understand what entertainment means.

20. BillJ

One day you'll grow up and realize just how wrong you are. I hope you're real life personality is nothing like the one you present on-line or else you'll grow old a very lonely and bitter individual.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.