Starship Farragut: The Animated Episodes Questions

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by FalTorPan, Jun 18, 2008.

1. Starhawk

Starhawk Lieutenant Red Shirt

Very cool. The more I learn about this project the more I can't wait for it to be released.

2. johnhazard

johnhazard Commander Red Shirt

Yeah, I'm the dirty culprit behind the animated Exeter tease- I really wanted to do it, wrote a script and half a storyboard, then had to call it off when, among other things, I got a weekly newspaper strip which pretty much eats up whatever free time I would have had for the project (in fact, I'll be up tonight working on this week's strip). when you've got a family, paying projects take precedence.

Now that I see the Exeter guys are finally nearing the end of their long "Tressauran" odyssey and still wanting to do more episodes, I'd really love to find a way to revisit the project in some form- we'll see.

In the meantime, I am SO looking forward to doing my animated Farragut bits. It's going to be so much fun to work on, and an honor to be included in the final product. I'm going to be using some modern trickery (Maya), then retrograding it to match the painterly goodness of those old Saturday morning cartoon backgrounds.

By the way NEO fx, thanks for announcing my participation- considering how little my contribution will be, it's most kind of you.

3. Kail

Kail Commodore Commodore

Welcome aboard John. Looking forward to your contributions.

4. NEO f/x

NEO f/x Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

5. RobertScorpio

RobertScorpio Pariah

This is going to be a real treat. I can tell you guys really care about what you are doing and that will come through I am sure!!!

Rob
    Scorpio

6. NEO f/x

For anyone interested, Farragut has a new 'promo' that will be shown at the Shoreleave convention this weekend. It is about a new set of episodes called 'Crew Logs'...Basically short, character-driven vignettes. However, the teaser also about about 30 seconds of TAE footage in it, and a sample of what the style of music will be like.

http://starshipfarragut.neo-fx.com/ (See Coming Soon 2008/2009).

Enjoy.

7. FalTorPan

FalTorPan Vice Admiral Admiral

Cool stuff! Having just finished watching the first season of Filmation's Flash Gordon, I'm ready to watch the animated Farragut stories. (Hopefully there will be no counterpart to second-season Flash Gordon's Gremlin the Baby Dragon. I have great respect for Lou Scheimer, but Gremlin is on par with Jar Jar Binks.) :p

8. johnhazard

johnhazard Commander Red Shirt

The quicktime link is the old series teaser.

The rest is pure awesome.
    I like the captain without the 'stache!
    The TAS Gorn made me smile!

9. Hudson_uk

Hudson_uk Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Absolutely great peak at the animation episodes. Very much looking forward to it. The "short stories" idea looks good too.

10. NEO f/x

John,

Thanks for the heads up on the MOV...That is now fixed. The captain with the green girl actually looks like a flashback to an earlier Carter...Hmmm :)

All,

Thanks for your comments...This has been a fun project so far, and it is getting more interesting by the day!

11. Freman

Freman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I would LOVE to do a voice-over part for this.

12. Dayton Ward

Dayton Ward Word Pusher Rear Admiral

I saw the "Crew Logs" preview as well as the F/TAS preview at Shore Leave. It tickled the hell out of this old-school TAS fan's heart :D

13. Kail

Kail Commodore Commodore

Thanks Dayton, we've been having a lot of fun recreating the look of TAS.

14. FalTorPan

Any updates on this? I've been on a Filmation binge lately, watching several episodes of He-Man and the Masters of the Universe (and living to tell the tale). :)

15. NEO f/x

Thanks for asking....We do indeed have a few updates...

1) We have a couple more illustrators on board and they are doing FANTASTIC work. Some of us are amazed on how much like the Filmation series this is appearing
    2) I will be going down to LA in a couple week to pick up a few more voices for some cameo appearances.
    3) One of the characters Chris Doohan has voiced has been fully lip-synced
    4) About 1/2 of each of the episodes is either rendered or the scene set up for rendering once we get finalized voices

This is slow going, but we are certainly making progress. In September I should have another update on when trailers and the final releases can be expected. Stay tuned.

16. FalTorPan

Great news! I'm really looking forward to the end result, as well as to any teaser info or footage you may have to share. :)

I have to ask... at some point, will we see some behind-the-scenes featurettes -- presumably after the episodes are completed? I intend to make a Filmation-like animated, non-Trek story of my own one day.

Keep up the great work!

17. NEO f/x

As you can imagine, these productions are rather time intensive...so we haven't had a chance to both document our process and get what we need to get done actually done. However, depending on the timing, I wouldn't mind doing a 'post production' set of interviews with some of the key players and possibly how the production was made.

And, of course, you can always ping me directly on some of the technical aspects of the production. Surprisingly, it is not as easy as it might seem to create the 'fimation' look. :)

18. Kail

Kail Commodore Commodore

Michael is doing some fantastic work replicating the TAS effects! I wish I could post some previews, you'd be amazed at how good the footage looks. I know I am!

19. NEO f/x

It is definitely a team effort...and previews are coming soon :techman: While the 'prelim' stuff looks good, the final stuff will look even better. I am surprised how much has changed even from the items we put in the preview shown at Shoreleave a couple months ago.

Oh, and we FINALLY found a web site template and webmaster. I am crossing my fingers and holding my breath that we can get the site up and operational within the next month or two. There is a LOT of stuff I want to share with the fans.

20. dayxday1000

dayxday1000 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Awesome! Thanks for the update and I can't wait to see these!