arrrgh!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by rhubarbodendron, Jan 9, 2013.

1. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

herewith I declare The Ranting Thread opened!

Have a rant? Let it out and get a few hugs from your comrades in misery.

[Rant]
    I moved last year. My ex-landlady is quite demented and calls me whenever she hears suspicious sounds (meaning: all the time because she has tinnitus), claiming that I sneak around in her house and make noises. When I point out to her that I hardly can be on the phone at my new appartment and making noise at her place at the other end of town simultaneousely, she insists that I must have given a key to my BF who does teh noises for me. (Which BF?! The Pope has more sex than I! - But that'd be another rant. Nevertheless I certainly know better things to do with a male than letting him make noises unless those are a direct consequence of what I am just doing to him :D )
    I blocked her number on my phone and enjoyed a paradise-like 9 weeks of peace and quiet. But apparently the block was erased during the holidays (presumably a computer glitch at my phone provider). When I came home today after a funeral (no relative, fortunately, but my parents' neighbour) I found a call from the old hag on my phone. Shan't return it, of course, and immediately reinstated the block. Still, my pulse and blood pressure are quite off the scale. Old habits die slow - she had terrorised me for almost a year and I am so used to being stressed by her that seeing her number on the display is enough to give me hearttrouble. Maybe I should see a psychatrist (and send her the bill!!). If it was someone my age I'd whack or sue her, but what can you do against someone who is 85 and rather feeble-minded? :rolleyes:

Fortunately, time is working in my favour and the problem will solve itself in a perfectly natural and environmentally-friendly way within a few years [​IMG] :devil:
    [/Rant]

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  2. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    Have nothing to rant about. Yet. But a net-hug never goes amiss.

3. ThankQ

ThankQ Fleet Admiral Admiral

No rants. Just here to pass out the blisslets and huggles.

4. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

awww! That's so sweet of you two! Thank you! You just saved my day :)
    *huggles lurok and ThankQ*

5. trekkiedane

trekkiedane Admiral Admiral

My previous landlady was the same.

She'd have strange requests [since it is mine, I'll need to use your kitchen this next week-end as I'm having guests over and my kitchen is being renovated.¹] and she'd try to raise the rent illegally (both in terms of size of the increase and in length of warning-time AND frequency she'd try it).

As I knew the law somewhat better than her and was a member of the local branch of the tenants union (which gives free legal advice and will even write a letter to your landperson (from a lawyer) for you, she was probably gladder than even I was on the day I moved out. -Never heard from her again :)

I'll join in with a [​IMG]

_________
    ¹ - My kitchen was also my bathroom AND there was no door between that and my bedroom!!!

6. lurok

Thank you :) Warmly received and reciprocated. If I have need of a major rant, it will be here first. But generally like to try and keep positive...

7. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If your ex-landlady is crazy why do you still talk to her? If she calls you just hang up on her. Problem solved.

8. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Admiral

I can think of many job-related rants, but I probably shouldn't publicize those on the Internet.

For now I'll rant about how everyone is constantly asking me how I'm doing. "Are you doing okay?" "You look tired, are you getting sick?" "How are you feeling?" "Are you limping?" This really irritates me. These people have known me for a year now, you'd think they would realize that this is just my naturally frowny face. I don't have a limp, I'm not upset, I'm not sick, I probably AM tired, mostly from dealing with your irritating questions all day long. It's one thing when they just ask how you're doing and then leave when you say fine, but it's the ones who pry for more details that really bother me. They want to know every detail of what I did over the weekend, what I ate for dinner, how I slept last night. Seriously?! Leave me alone! I am doing just fine and even if something went wrong I would not be talking about it with you!

Okay, that feels better.

9. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

It might help your stress level to give nature a little nudge ;)

10. Ghost07

Ghost07 Vice Admiral In Memoriam

There were two people over here doing that to me...yes, I find it extremely irritating too...I finally shut them up by saying...Why ask me? Isn't YOUR life messed up enough for you?

Neither one has spoken to me since. Oh! What a relief THAT is.

and {{{HUGS}}} to all who need one.

11. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Omg, I don't believe it! I cannot easily think of something to rant about that is personal to me! Just the general peeves many of us have about life these days.

So, to those who are "Aaaargh"-ing...good wishes flying your way from here!

12. Shanndee

Shanndee Commodore Commodore

Joining the thread to offer support and hugs.

I also only have work related issues at the moment, so I'll keep my mouth shut about that...but I'm sure something will come up in the future!

Hugs!

13. Gul Re'jal

Gul Re'jal Commodore Commodore

Gul Re'jal is suspecting she's on the wrong space
    I used by be constantly asked "Why are you sad?" I'm not sad, dammit, I just have a stupid face! :klingon:

Now I live in a country where they don't ask me anything, but maybe because I'm so alien that they wouldn't dare ;) Or they can't recognise :guffaw:

ETA: And two days ago I got a notice informing me that they raise my rent 12% :( Grrrrr...

14. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

I dunno. I could rant about type 1 diabetes. I feel like the Trek BBS is the only place that gets to hear me rant about that, because I don't get the urge to rant about it very often and I don't rant about it to anyone in real life. I ranted about it on facebook one time. Usually I get a third of the way into typing the rant and then think, What fucking good will it do?

Here: Type 1 diabetes. It is not the same disease as the diabetes you know about so shut up. I have to choose some people at work to teach how to test my blood sugar and give me a shot of glucagon in case I have a seizure or pass out. It's not going to be awkward at all.

Everyone is fucking stupid about diabetes and doesn't know anything.

There.

15. lurok

Have a hug :)

16. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

I have a friend who has Type 1 and who makes similar rants. She orders Diet Coke when she goes out to eat, and she's pretty skinny, so waitresses give her dirty looks or even say things like, "you don't need to drink diet, honey!" Or people look confused when she says she has diabetes because she's so thin. "Well, how did you get that??" People are dumb.

Rhubarbodendron: I can relate to your reaction when she got through to call you. I have people in my life where, as soon as their name pops up on my phone, my blood pressure shoots up and I'm tempted to just ignore them. But given that this is someone you don't ever have to talk to again, it sounds like the thing to do is keep the block on and just ignore her if she ever manages to get through again. It's just not worth the trouble to answer.

As for myself, the only thing I could rant about at this moment is getting my kids into school. I recently (as in a few weeks ago) got custody of my kids, and have been working on getting them enrolled in school. First, there was the mountain of paperwork required, and then the endless game of phone tag. "I'll call you by the end of the day" apparently means "I'll call you whenever I feel like it, which won't be today." I have to stay on top of these people to make sure things are proceeding.

To be fair, it's only the front line administrative people I've had this problem with. Once I got past those people and got in touch with special services, communication improved. I still find it irritating when someone promises to follow up by the end of the day, and then they don't. Don't promise it if you can't do it.

17. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

So true. I still remember being so pissed off at the movie Panic Room. The whole plot of the movie is driven by the daughter's Diabetes and "getting her insulin in time or she'll die!". um, no. Just no. If your going to make it the crux of the plot, at least make sure you understand the effects of not getting insulin in time.

18. thestrangequark

I may be totally misremembering (it wasn't the most memorable movie), but I thought the driving plot point was that the little girl was going low. She had a CGM with an alarm that kept going off, and had a seizure at one point. I recall thinking that, of all the movies I'd seen with diabetes in them, they'd done an okay job of depicting type 1.

But, yeah, people get it wrong all the time, and that's what really annoys me about it. There are a ton of assumptions and a lot of judgement that goes along with the label "diabetic," and while it's not really the general public's fault -- after all, why should everyone be expected to know that there are a handful of completely different diseases all called diabetes -- it is still wearing. I don't even care about all the shots and blood tests, or being constantly aware of my own mortality, I am tired of people's ignorance and judgement.

I think it is ignorant the way people judge type 2 diabetics as well, as if they all ate their way into their disease, and it's just that simple. But having type 1, and having that judgement passed on you seems even more unjust. I once had a nurse(!) say to me, "You really should get your weight down. You're only about 10lbs overweight, but every little bit you lose can lower your blood sugar." I suppressed the urge to tell her to fuck herself, and explained that I have type 1 diabetes. I've never been very overweight -- always between 5-15lbs, but I struggle with it, and I honestly think the misconceptions surrounding diabetes and weight are a huge part of what's led me to develop stupid body issues (and considering eating disorders are 4 times more prevalent in the type 1 diabetic population than in the general population, I don't think I'm off the mark). I also hate it when I feel made to justify everything I eat or don't eat. Anyway, there. There's a proper rant!

19. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Yeah, that's where the idiocy breaks in. They spend the whole moving worrying about getting her insulin, when what she really needed was a cookie.

Or I could be wrong. Been too long since I saw the movie.

20. thestrangequark

^Okay, yeah, that is stupid!