Fitness Checkin

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by kimc, Jan 16, 2009.

1. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I gotta say, it's really nice not being injured anymore!

2. John O.

John O. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

New benchmax at 170 today. New leg press max at 340 :)

3. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Congrats! Have any goals?

4. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Awesome workout tonight. Ive been back a week and half and its taking off!

5. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Fairly mediocre chest workout today. This guy was hogging my favorite bench for over an hour! I had to adjust my workout to compensate.

6. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

How many benches do they have?

RAMA

7. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

There are 3 barbell flat benches...but I only like to use the one. The other two are a bit unbalanced, and I always feel like I'm going to tip over.

It's okay, though. I did a lot dumbbell stuff instead.

8. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Dont they ever fix them? That's a lawsuit waiting to happen!

9. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I just think it's the floor. It's not so unbalanced that it causes problems for other people. I just prefer my bench.

Plus, all 3 benches are next to each other, and I kind of wanted to stay away from the guy who was using the one. I don't understand how this skinny twerp was doing it, but the guy was benching over 400 lbs. The guy looked malnourished! Maybe he took a bunch of speed before he came to the gym. I can't figure out how he was lifting so much weight.

10. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Normally when I do legs after a layoff i go slow and carefully, but everything felt light last night, I maxed out the leg press machine my first night back.

RAMA

11. John O.

I hit 180 yesterday with a spotter. And on the two hand cable curl I've been able to meek out about 3 shitty reps at 150 but today did a solid 8 rep set on 150. The stack doesn't go any higher at that station, I may have to relocate, I think another goes to like 240.

My goal was to get to leg press of 375, but that hasn't happened just yet. My god, yesterday I saw these two guys switching off on the leg press, adding 45 lb plates until they filled it up - then put another one on the back - for a total of 765. 8-45 lb plates on either side and 1 45 on the back of the leg press plate. They didn't even look that big, they weren't fully extending but still, they did like 10 sets between the two of em. It was nuts.

I'm actually shifting gears a little to a more mixed cardio routine. I've been getting a little too comfortable with my routine and my gains are noticeably declining, so I'm mixing it up. Here's a good example of how I'm changing it, from my facebook fitness "blog". This was my workout yesterday:

12. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Did Back today at my gym, but I was sleepy and had kind of a mediocre workout. About an hour after I got home I had a sudden burst of energy, so I went back and did more Back, Shoulders, and Arms. I am now going to spend the rest of the evening stuffing my face with food.

13. John O.

New decline bench max - 1 rep max of 227

New leg press max - 1 rep max of 402

New curl max - 1 rep max of 200

14. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Okay, dammit, I am getting really annoyed at life. So for about 2 weeks after my shoulder recovers, I have really awesome workouts. My diet is good, and I'm making progress.

Jump to last Wednesday, and I spend 3 days sick with food poisoning and am unable to eat. I lose about 15 pounds, a lot of which is water, but some is definitely muscle.

I finally got back to the gym tonight after taking the weekend to rest and recover, and my workout was about what I expected it to be: really mediocre.

I am now bound and determined to stopping letting shit get in the way of my bodybuilding. I am going to write out a routine. I am going to follow it religiously. I am going to spend my days off cooking obnoxious amounts of food so my muscles can recover and grow.

Shit is about to get real.

15. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Haven't checked in for a while. I have been finding it really hard to make time for the gym this past year with a new child. All I want to do is go home and spend time with her before she goes to bed. At least I've been playing hockey twice a week.

16. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I think parenting is a perfectly acceptable reason to skip the gym.

17. John O.

I went to the gym today with my GF - experienced her poshy, yuppy-filled downtown DC hipster-gym for the first time :lol:

It's so weird to work out on 3 different floors!

18. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Eh, gyms do what they can with the space they have. I've never been in a 3-story gym before, but many of my gyms have had 2 levels.

19. John O.

New maxes today:

Bench - 190
    Lat Pull - 170
    Overhead Press - 110
    Snatch + Grab - 90

20. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Got a good chest and arm workout in yesterday. My biceps are actually a bit tight today. So's my chest for that matter.

Playing hockey tonight after work.