Splice...

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Warped9, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I just watched this this evening. It's not a bad creep out film and Dren made for an interesting new life form. I liked that they got away from the alien/mutant/whatever as something scaly and ugly and gave us something almost attractive (in a weird sorta way).

The ending was Ewww!

That said both of these scientists were screw ups psychologically. Fred and Ginger both being male and duking it out was Ewww! :lol:

Not an awesome film, but not bad.

2. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I bought it on Blu-Ray a few weeks ago, but haven't had time to watch it yet. I've really enjoyed Vincenzo Natali's other work as a director (and sometimes writer), so I look forward to it.

3. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

Just remember when you're watching ... it's a comedy. Once you realize that, it's hilarious.

4. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

I watched it and it was worth a viewing. Nothing I would own on DVD. Good special effects and a good story. It did have its creepy and gross out moments. A solid 3 out of 5.

5. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I liked it alright. It was missing something, though.

6. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I smirked in some parts, but it certainly didn't strike me as a comedy.

Agreed.

7. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

This was the first movie in a long time that actually disturbed me.

8. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

9. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

^^ Not far off from what I thought.

The scientists were unable to constrain their curiousity which kept letting this thing proceed to the next stage. A lot of film can be symbolism so in a weird way this thing seduced each of them in one way or another.

Two things I don't think were necessary. When Ginger slug morphs into a male (and no one notices??) and then gets into a slugfest with Fred it's over-the-top for the revulsion factor. Secondly I thought it went too far for Dren to develop wings. I don't think that was necessary.

This is a variation on the Frankenstein story, but at the end it's hard to feel any measure of sympathy Dren. Yes, she didn't ask to be created and she was the only one of her kind and with no guide to help her along. But the story could have been more creative instead of it just starting to kill because it was territorial.

10. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

Can't say I enjoyed it too much, wasn't the worst film ever but I'd never bother watching it again. Just thought the two scientists were dumb as fuck, what did they think would happen?

Also I preferred the version with Natasha Henstridge, at least she was hot ;)

11. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Indeed she was. Too bad all the sequels sucked. :(

12. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

The movie was.... okay. But then it turned to shit when it became a typical monster-movie like premise in the last act, and I don't get why Adrian Brody and what's her name completely switched sides on their feelings of the creature. And the Adrian taps that ass?

WTF, dude? I was expected at least something that said she had life super active hormones or something that made him fuck her outside of his own control but, nope. He just saw her with the chicken legs, the bald head, and the A-cup breasts and just had-to get him some of that.

:rolleyes:

13. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

Re: Splice... DVD

I'd like to see the supplements.
    sadly it's only 1 and not that good from the review
    A Director's Playground: Vincenzo Natali on the Set of 'Splice' (SD, 35 min.)
    But not worth the cost of the DVD i guess.

I was expecting a commentary and more. Oh well.

14. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Yes, the ending is a letdown. Up to that point you're waiting for the story to take an interesting and different turn than the conventional...only it doesn't happen.

15. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Re: Splice... DVD

Depends how much you pay for the DVD. I purchased the Blu-Ray for $4 on Amazon, so I can't imagine not getting my money's worth...

16. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

That movie creeped me out, too, when I went to see it in theaters (for free - I had a screenin' pass). And I have a cheap copy on previously viewed DVD (got it on an uber sale at Hasting's).

A couple of weeks ago when I was in Austin, I took it to a scifi movie meetup that watches bad scifi to make fun of it, and Splice actually had a few votes until one guy yelled out...

"Vote for Splice if you like incest!"

...and every other hand but mine went down.

I had to support my movie, though.